Just ordered A3 Sportback

Pganders

Reaction score
Hi there

I have just ordered my A3 Sportback and after some deliberation have gone for the 1.4 TFSI Sport.

I had thought of going for the 2.0 TDI but after a test run felt I was splitting hairs on performance and at a £2300 premium and low annual mileage the extra cost was not justified, even factoring in resale/depreciation. Of course two differing driving dynamics but a case of adapting driving style to suit.

Interestingly I was going to add the Comfort and Interior Light Packages at £605 and £225 respectively when I noticed that, if I ordered the Xenon Light Package at £1250, I would get the Comfort Package at a reduced price of £300 and the Interior Light Package thrown in. So for an extra £720 over what I was going to spend I am now getting the Xenons, Headlight washers and the LED DRLs. The DRLs might be considered a bit "bling" but I feel look far better.

And of course ordering now also gets the basic sat nav included.

Have been given a delivery time of 1st week in June which seems a long way away but will just have to be patient!!

Nice one !

Given your low anuual mileage, it's probably a wise decision. Did you receive any discounts with your order ?

I am looking at the Sportback too but undecided on the engine as yet (1.4 TFSI / 1.6 TDI / 2.0 TDI). My mileage is currently around 13K but could go up to 17K in the future. I have decided on the sport version though

No discount off the list pricebut thats where it all gets a bit blurred - think I did ok as trading in - high discount/low trade in or low discount/high trade in or indeed somewhere in the middle, take your pick! I think given the way Audi market the car (by phasing availability) any discounts are always going to be small. Not helped now that it has won What Car Car of the Year which only fuels people wanting it. Of course could be proven wrong.

I have heard also that the way this car is going off the shelves, before even in the showroom, some dealers annual allocations are already close to being used up, which is contributing to long lead times at certain dealers. Of course the cynical out there might just put this down to yet another marketing ploy!!

I would suggest getting a test in all three though higher the mileage thends to nudge towards one of the TDIs. Good luck with your decision - I think though the Sportback looks the part though I don't think theres a bad choice amongst them - all down to personal requirements/preferences.

Thanks for the heads up on the dealers.

Agree it all depends on the price to change, no matter how they fudge the figures. I 've looked on Orange wheels and Coast to Coast Cars (internet brokers). Both seem to be offering approx £1500 off list price off each variant which seems ok.

Due to my current budget, I am favouring the 1.6 tdi sport (my current car has this engine) so I have an idea of what to expect. Would love the 2.0 tdi but I doubt I would want to stretch that far...

Hi

I've not seen a sport back in the flesh yet. My local dealer is Lakeland Audi near Kendal. They rang inviting me down to check out the sport back from Thursday. I'm going to try and get down there and have a look in the next day or two, who knows may even place an order but am waiting for COD.

I'm also tempted by the CoD version, but not sure if it is worth the extra as I will be doing less than 10,000 miles per year.....will probably have to own the car for about 20 years to get the money back! Although maybe someone else can do a more accurate mathematical calculation?

Right here goes - Assuming 10000 mile a year and that you achieve 75% actual against the combined figure I reckon a saving of £140 p.a on basis that the 122ps engine has a recored mpg of 53.3 and the 140ps (COD) will have 58.9 (this is the VW Golf figure as I can't find the Audi equivalent but assume the same. So on cost alone (and depending on the price differential between engines) that could be a lot of motoring before breakeven.

Of course you need also to consider the faster acceleration of around 1 second between the two but in real life I suspect not that noticable.

Hope my calculations are correct (petrop at £1.37/litre)!!

I took the chance and plumped for the 122ps.

You need to factor in resale value as well... If there's a £1500 dif at purchase but only a £500 difference when it comes to selling (as often is the case) then there's £1000 you don't have to make back with economy. Also, tax and insurance savings.

Thanks for that - I might not bother waiting for the CoD after all ......