Delivery times - A3 Sportback 1.4 CoD s-tronic

dzankizakon

Reaction score
About a month ago I went to an Audi showroom and looked at the new Audi A3 (3-door) and was sufficiently impressed to soon order a new A3 Sportback. I choose 1.4TFSI CoD (140ps) with s-tronic. Before I ordered, I was told that the delivery times are around 3 months, give or take a couple of weeks. I'm in Europe. Now, about 3 weeks after the order, I was told by the salesperson that it turns out that the specific model I'm ordering is probably going to be available on the 22nd week of 2013, ie. beginning of June. That's 5.5 months, not 3.5. He also told me that they're negotiating with the factory to see if this date can be moved back somehow. I'm not in a massive rush (I already have an A3 SB, 8P), but it's a bit disappointing to be told you're getting the car in 3.5 months and then told you'll probably wait until summer. I have to pay the same price regardless of delivery date, so I might as well drive it sooner rather than later.

What I want to know is this: is this the waiting time everyone else is seeing with the new A3 Sportback, or is it related to this engine/transmissions combination?

Plenty folk ordering A3 SB in various guises and being quoted 2-3 months until delivery but can't recall anyone else confirming an order with the 1.4 COD engine.

To be honest I wasn't even aware you could order a new sportback with the 1.4 COD engine as yet, so no surprise as at all at the delivery timeframe quoted suspect it's very much associated with the new engine.

The salesperson mentioned that I could get 1.4TFSI CoD with manual transmission very soon, but because I want s-tronic (and I'm definitely not prepared to compromise on s-tronic), the wait times are longer because of s-tronic. He also told me that they are trying to figure out a way to arrange speedier delivery, but I'm afraid it's a tactic to get me used to the idea of waiting extra 2 months. ;-)

Can I ask how much difference in price between the 1.4 tfsi and the 1.4 COD? I'm very interested in the COD but not if it is at a premium

It's about a thousand euros more expensive. For me, that's worth the increase in horsepower (140 instead of 122), because 1.8TFSI 180hp is about 6.5 grand more than 1.4TFSI 122, that's a serious difference in price, even for 58hp.

If someone knows the EU delivery date for 1.4TFSI CoD with s-tronic, I'd love to find out...

If someone knows the EU delivery date for 1.4TFSI CoD with s-tronic, I'd love to find out...
Build week 22 is when Audi change from one model year to the next and when many of the updates are made. I don't think you will get the A3 1.4 COD any earlier at since this is probably the first week they will actually build any.

I don't really see it as a tactic as such to soften the wait, just simply the newer engine is not being built in the exact model configuration with gearbox you want as yet.

Build weeks seem to shift as I've found with my own order, placed way back on 24 September.
Dealer advised me I was that dealerships first new A3 SB order and was told initially build week 4 for mid February delivery knowing UK release was supposedly around that time, then it shifted to week 8 and finally week 7. So who knows you may yet get a pleasant surprise from your dealer.

There has been some interesting comments on the forum in other threads about the new COD engine.....not all of it complimentary. Be interesting hearing more reviews of anyone who has driven it.

Build week 22 is when Audi change from one model year to the next and when many of the updates are made. I don't think you will get the A3 1.4 COD any earlier at since this is probably the first week they will actually build any.

It seems that way, unfortunately. However, I googled a memo in French that seems to suggest the build weeks for 1.4TFSI CoD s-tronic A3 Sportbacks is actually 05/13.

IMG 0366

I marked the relevant months in pink. ;-) So now it's even more confusing. ;-)

I should of finished my sentence by saying build any for your specific market!

I note with interest that the 1.8 Sportback will be configured with a manual box, which is what I've been after since day one, the only downside looking at your image dzankizakon [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]is that is not due to be built until October, not sure I can wait that long, may run with the COD instead![/FONT]​

It's about a thousand euros more expensive. For me, that's worth the increase in horsepower (140 instead of 122), because 1.8TFSI 180hp is about 6.5 grand more than 1.4TFSI 122, that's a serious difference in price, even for 58hp.

the 58 hp is not the only difference.

in the 1.4 122 and 1.4 140 COD you get the EA 211 engine (with COD only available on the 140) , the 1.8 comes with EA 888 Gen 3 (with valvelift).

the 1.4 122 has a cheaper suspension , the 1.4 140cod and 1.8 have a multilink suspension.
of course the 1.8 comes with bigger brakes.

since the 1.8 tfsi is currently available only on s-tronic , further explains the price difference.

initially i've placed an order for the 1.4 tfsi 140cod Sportback , but the dealer called me after a week and told me that the earlier delivery date will be mid-june (not guaranteed) . so i changed my order to 1.8 that will be delivered early may.

take a look at the following presentation , it has many technical details about the engine technology that you might find interesting:
http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/40/schmidt_oliver.pdf

I'm also interested in the 1.4 CoD - do you mind giving the price for your original order? I can't find any information regarding prices and can't really judge by the Golf version, as it is a completely different model

I'm also interested in the 1.4 CoD - do you mind giving the price for your original order? I can't find any information regarding prices and can't really judge by the Golf version, as it is a completely different model

+1. Also CO2, mpg (or l/100km), 0-100km time, top speed, unladen weight etc would be great. I can't seem to find anything official from Audi at all.

the 58 hp is not the only difference.
since the 1.8 tfsi is currently available only on s-tronic , further explains the price difference.

It looks like they are pricing 1.4T(122), 1.4T(140) and 1.8T differently in different markets. In Eastern Europe, 1.4T(122) is 2.5k cheaper than in Germany, but 1.8T is 1k more expensive than in Germany. Weird. Now I just saw on German Audi site that the difference between 1.4 CoD manual (which just appeared on their site) and 1.8T s-tronic is around 4.5k, which means that, when and if 1.4CoD comes out with s-tronic in Germany, the difference will be only about 2.5k, which is much more reasonable than 5.5k. It seems that German prices make a lot of sense, i.e. function between horsepower and price is almost linear.

I was just told by my dealer that the week of production for my car (as I said, 1.4T(140)CoD s-tronic) will be 22, give or take a couple weeks. So it's gonna be a long wait to sit in it - end of June :-(

+1. Also CO2, mpg (or l/100km), 0-100km time, top speed, unladen weight etc would be great. I can't seem to find anything official from Audi at all.

You have them now on Audi's German site. The first column in Sportback 1.4TFSI manual, the second 1.4TFSI CoD manual.

Max. Leistung

90 kW (122 PS) bei 5000-6000 min -1
103 kW (140 PS) bei 5000 min -1
Max. Drehmoment (Nm bei min [SUP]-1[/SUP])

200/1400-4000
250/1500-3500
Gewicht
Leergewicht * (kg)

Zul. Gesamtgewicht (kg)

Fahrleistung
Höchstgeschwindigkeit (km/h)

Beschleunigung 0-100 km/h (s)

Kraftstoffverbrauch (1999/100/EG)
städtisch (l/100 km)

außerstädtisch (l/100 km)

insgesamt (l/100 km)

CO[SUB]2[/SUB]-Emissionen *** (g/km)

Emissionsklasse (94/12/EG)

EU5
EU6
Effizienzklasse

B
B

Thanks! As expected, much like the equivalent Golf, which is fine by me.

Edit. 3-door has very slightly better numbers. 0-100 8.3s, CO2 109g/km, fuel consumption, combined 4.7 l/100km (60.1 mpg), weight 1270kg.

Last edited:

According to the Audi Germany site prices for equivalent spec petrols (all A3 Ambiente, manual, no options) are:

122 €24,400
140 CoD €25,600
180 €27,800

I don't read German and don't know if these prices include tax or not. I guess we *might* be looking at the 1.4 CoD being about £1,000 more than the non-CoD 122 1.4. I'd be happy with that!

I guess it's a consideration of the initial 1.4 COD engine cost versus real world fuel economy / annual mileage to determine if paying a premium of circa £1000 is worthwhile.

I know there was a post on another thread that looked at costs and the kind of mileage needed to offset the costlier engines like 2.0 diesel against the 1.4 tfsi but for lower mileage drivers like myself mpg would need to be remarkable to entice me to part with another £1k for an extra 18bhp.

Will one day get a drive of the 1.4 COD but not expecting much more oomph in the speed stakes if I'm honest over standard 1.4 tfsi as VAG selling point seems centred on its fuel economy potential.

No doubt someone will come along soon and disprove this theory :)

I guess it's a consideration of the initial 1.4 COD engine cost versus real world fuel economy / annual mileage to determine if paying a premium of circa £1000 is worthwhile.

I know there was a post on another thread that looked at costs and the kind of mileage needed to offset the costlier engines like 2.0 diesel against the 1.4 tfsi but for lower mileage drivers like myself mpg would need to be remarkable to entice me to part with another £1k for an extra 18bhp.

Will one day get a drive of the 1.4 COD but not expecting much more oomph in the speed stakes if I'm honest over standard 1.4 tfsi as VAG selling point seems centred on its fuel economy potential.

No doubt someone will come along soon and disprove this theory :)

My wife and I drove the 1.4 122 A3 and 1.4 140 Golf over same ~80 mile route on consecutive days last month and we both thought the Golf was quicker, although not massively so. It's 18 hp more but also has a fair bit more torque (250 Nm vs 200), so perhaps that's the difference. I like the idea of more performance and lower emissions and am willing to pay for it. Some of my other tastes are quite cheap (prefer Sport to S-line, cloth to leather, iPhone TomTom to Audi's satnav etc) so I'll make up the money there or on the reduced VED (£20 vs £30 - just need to keep the car for a hundred years :))

Just been given preliminary build week 27, i.e. beginning of July. That's practically 6 months between order and estimated delivery. :-|