AH FabricationsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By number3

Thread: My first Audi

Neutral

Status

My first Audi

Hi all, I'm new on here although I have been reading for the past few weeks and taking notes!

I borrowed an A3 SE 3 door for a weekend from an Audi dealership at the beginning of February, and after 300 miles and many hours I knew this needed to be my new car (company car).

2 litre diesel was very economical, and felt almost as strong as my old Leon FR+ (which had 20bhp more).

The spec on the SE was pretty good, although this demo had (not unusually) a lot of extras. But for me, as a mid-20s aspiration sort that had a rather lovely Special Edition Fabia vRS TDI as his first company car few years back, the sporty looks and spec of the S-line was what I fancied.

After a lot of back and forth with the dealer, and a test drive of a Mk7 Golf (great, but really not on the same level as the A3 in terms of interior quality and general aesthetics), I got the deal I needed on the A3 I wanted

A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0 TDI
    • Misano red pear - I think the press cars look great
    • Aluminium roof rails - putting bikes on roof will look neater
    • Privacy glass - keeps prying eyes off bikes/kit in the back
    • Interior lighting pack - looked cracking on the demo
    • SD nav - it's free until the end of this month, and works really well
    • B&O sound system - 705w and some more LEDs, it would be rude not to
    • Comfort pack - parking sensors were a must, as was cruise
    Expected at the dealer 7th May, and I am really looking forward to it!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Im sure you will enjoy the forum, we are a friendly lot on here. For local meets, click the link below. Enjoy the forum. x

Smaller (Local) Events
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Neutral

Status
    Hi Sandra, thanks very much! I'm based in Leeds most of the time. I'll be sure to check out that link

6th Gear

Status
    Congrats, nice car and nice spec
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Clewsy View Post
    After a lot of back and forth with the dealer, and a test drive of a Mk7 Golf (great, but really not on the same level as the A3 in terms of interior quality and general aesthetics), I got the deal I needed on the A3 I wanted

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    Ha, really?! I felt all the buttons were a bit boring compared with the simplicity of the Audi. For me, it wasn't as nice a place to sit.

Don't get me, I think the mk7 golf is great, but I think an A3 S-Line trumps a Golf GT.

Maybe I'd have been more swayed if there was a golf GTD out that felt a bit more special, but there isn't yet to who knows!

Also as a slight aside, I do own a mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet so I'm not an Audiphile at heart!

1st Gear

Status
    Ha! I was just kidding. I basically said the same as you in the Golf v A3 thread a while back and was accused of being biased despite having owned 3 VWs and only one Audi in the past.

More cars should have interiors like the A3. Clean, simple, intuitive and quality. I liked the Golf mk7 but its just not as special as the A3... In my opinion of course.

Only a month or so til mine arrives. Can't wait I'm off to take some photos of my old A3 now so I can sell it:')

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Clewsy View Post
    Maybe I'd have been more swayed if there was a golf GTD out that felt a bit more special, but there isn't yet to who knows!
    Spot on - the S-Line is probably a more direct comparison to the GTD.

Lovely spec though. I've always liked Misano Red.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Ha! I was just kidding. I basically said the same as you in the Golf v A3 thread a while back and was accused of being biased despite having owned 3 VWs and only one Audi in the past.

More cars should have interiors like the A3. Clean, simple, intuitive and quality. I liked the Golf mk7 but its just not as special as the A3... In my opinion of course.

Only a month or so til mine arrives. Can't wait I'm off to take some photos of my old A3 now so I can sell it:')
    its fact though. The a3 interior quality is way better than the golf. Only people who need to justify getting the golf say otherwise. The golf may have some more options but the a3 looks better and has much more build quality

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire View Post
    its fact though. The a3 interior quality is way better than the golf. Only people who need to justify getting the golf say otherwise. The golf may have some more options but the a3 looks better and has much more build quality
    I'm afraid, having sat in both cars, I don't agree. You say only people who need to justify getting the Golf say otherwise, but personally I would put it the other way. Only people who need to justify the extra cost of the A3 say that the A3 is better quality.

I currently driving my 8th A3 and my wife currently drives an A1 so you could say we like Audis. I have spent some time sitting in both the new A3 and the Golf VII and I think they are equal in quality, just different in design. Both cars use the same engines and gearboxes made in the same factory as well as using the same MQB platform developed by Volkswagen. Which you prefer is down to personal taste and whether you prefer the Audi MMI setup or the VW touch screen. Before the new Golf VII I would have agreed with you, which is why I drive an A3, but the new Golf is a definite step up in quality compared to the previous model.
    Last edited by h5djr; 15th February 2013 at 10:30.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status

My first Audi

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I'm afraid, having sat in both cars, I don't agree. You say only people who need to justify getting the Golf say otherwise, but personally I would put it the other way. Only people who need to justify the extra cost of the A3 say that the A3 is better quality.
    I'm not sure about this whole "need to justify" business but I started with a fairly open mind in considering potential new cars and quickly narrowed the options to A3, Golf and 1 Series. I'm pretty much set on the A3 now and although there are many factors that have played into that decision the cabin interior is a major one. I much prefer the A3 over the Golf and would place the BMW in the middle of the three (just in terms of cabin). I'm comparing A3 Sport, 1er Sport and Golf GT. Too much shiny black plastic in the Golf GT, and the fake carbon fibre trim doesn't do it for me either.

As always, each to their own of course. All three cars will make a lot of owners very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by allonym View Post
    I'm not sure about this whole "need to justify" business but I started with a fairly open mind in considering potential new cars and quickly narrowed the options to A3, Golf and 1 Series. I'm pretty much set on the A3 now and although there are many factors that have played into that decision the cabin interior is a major one. I much prefer the A3 over the Golf and would place the BMW in the middle of the three (just in terms of cabin). I'm comparing A3 Sport, 1er Sport and Golf GT. Too much shiny black plastic in the Golf GT, and the fake carbon fibre trim doesn't do it for me either.

As always, each to their own of course. All three cars will make a lot of owners very happy.
    Agree about the shinny black plastic in the Golf GT. Personally I much prefer the dark brushed stainless steel of the SE spec. It looks very 'grey' in most of the photos but if fact it's a very dark colour. That was my reaction when I sat in both an SE and a GT in Autostadt in Germany before they were released in the UK and my opinion is still the same having seen the UK models.

My current A3 Sportback is an SE spec so if I went for a Golf it would almost certainly be SE spec. My problem at the moment is I think my next car will have to be an Estate which rather rules out an A3. I will be interested to see both the new Golf Estate, which I think is being released at the Geneva Motor Show in March or even possibly the new Skoda Octavia Estate which is due for release later this year.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status

My first Audi

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    My current A3 Sportback is an SE spec so if I went for a Golf it would almost certainly be SE spec. My problem at the moment is I think my next car will have to be an Estate which rather rules out an A3. I will be interested to see both the new Golf Estate, which I think is being released at the Geneva Motor Show in March or even possibly the new Skoda Octavia Estate which is due for release later this year.
    My problem is that I'm pretty much set on the 1.4 ACT and I can't order it yet in the A3. I just hope Audi don't restrict the engine to the 'top' trim line like VW have. I don't really like the most expensive versions either the Golf or the A3, although for different reasons - cabin in the GT, body kit on the S-Line.

I haven't looked closely at the SE cabin so can't really comment but from what you say it does sound better than the GT.

Edit. By ACT I of course mean COD!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by allonym View Post
    My problem is that I'm pretty much set on the 1.4 ACT and I can't order it yet in the A3. I just hope Audi don't restrict the engine to the 'top' trim line like VW have. I don't really like the most expensive versions either the Golf or the A3, although for different reasons - cabin in the GT, body kit on the S-Line.

I haven't looked closely at the SE cabin so can't really comment but from what you say it does sound better than the GT.

Edit. By ACT I of course mean COD!
    theres a call of duty option for the car?? i never knew that lol.

slade777 likes this.
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

Quote Originally Posted by number3 View Post
    theres a call of duty option for the car?? i never knew that lol.

Is it Call of Duty or Cash on Delivery.

All the Volkswagen literature refers to it as ACT - Active Cylinder Technology or Aktives Zylindermanagement. It's strange because even in the German brochures they still refer to it as ACT whereas you would have thought it would be AZM.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    So aye, can of worms

Its not just the layout that's different with the A3 interior, the cabin materials feel better. Everything feels solid and well built like in the VW but its just feels that bit more luxurious... to me at least.

If you prefer the Golf though you're obviously better off with a golf, and its a great car. Not everyone will appreciate the sleek minimalism of the A3 interior.

Neutral

Status
    So aye, can of worms

Its not just the layout that's different with the A3 interior, the cabin materials feel better. Everything feels solid and well built like in the VW but its just feels that bit more luxurious... to me at least.

If you prefer the Golf though you're obviously better off with a golf, and its a great car. Not everyone will appreciate the sleek minimalism of the A3 interior.
    I'm with you on that one. And for me, the A3 felt like a more special place to sit. Forget the cost vs quality justification, as I managed to get both on the budget given by work (just), and the difference in BIK is minimal, so my decision was purely on which can I preferred.