Test drive 1.4

ellie43

Reaction score
Hello, my first post here (after many views!) I am considering an A3 Sportback 1.4 preferably an s-tronic version. Has anyone had a test drive in one? Obviously I will get around to having a go myself, but I'd like to hear some opinions first.
I'm sure I will be posting again for some advice on options - such an endless list (but fun choosing ....)
Thanks

Hello and welcome!

I've ordered a 1.4tfsi but it's a manual. Test drove it a while ago and was really impressed.

There's been mixed opinions on here about the s-tronic on the 1.4 as it's the 7 speed as opposed to the 6 speed fitted to the 2.0tdi.

Best bet is to track one down and have a go!

Funnily enough, I drove a 3 door 1.4 TFSI yesterday for the first time. I also want S-Tronic, but unfortunately the dealer didn't have them in, so it had to be a manual in "sport" guise.

Coming from a couple of VW 140PS Diesel units, I was interested to see if the smaller and less powerful 1.4 122PS was a worthwhile propersition.

My assesment was that the 122ps TFSI is a cracking little engine. Very eager, willing to rev and oh so quiet ! Never really pushed it to see what the ultimate performance was like, but certainly seemed like more than the 122ps that was on tap. The only problem for me is that I'm used to the lazy low down torque that a diesel unit gives, and really missed this. With the CR diesel engines you don't have to rag them to extract very good performance, where as the little 1.4 begs to be revved and trashed (which ultimately I guess has a negative effect at the pumps in fuel consumption).

So no, as good as it is, it will be the 2.0 CR 150ps Diesel for me I'm afriad, but I guess anyone not used to a diesel will absolutely love this peach of an engine.

For me the biggest surprise of the day was the ride. Having heard a number of horror stories about how stiff and crashy the sports suspension setp up was, I thought (and so did the wife) it was absolutely superb. If was pretty much free of body roll, gripped really well, but handled the bumps and pot holes in the back lanes of derbyshire during the test drive fantastically well. Obviously, the sport was "only" running 17" alloys, and my choice would be a S-Line with 18" wheels, but I can't see it being massively different. If nothing esle yesterday, It allaied all my doubts over whether to choose the Sports suspension, or opt for the softer "SE" setup - Sport all the way. Maybe I'm just used to the Rocco which is more a sports coupe, but even with my ACC set to "comfort" in the Rocco, I still thought the A3 rode better !

Reactions: ellie43
I've been driving an A3 SB Sport 1.4 tfsi since March 2010 in a manual guise and cannot praise the engine enough. It's a crackin piece of engineering.

Can't offer any opinion on s-tronic as never driven one but some of the posters on here have highlighted some variances in the types of gearbox used across the engines available which I have found quite enlightening

I had a 1.8 v-tec petrol civic before the a3 and I worried if the 1.4 tfsi would be a step down but that was certainly not the case. Feels just as powerful but quieter.

I'm sure the diesel is an outstanding engine but for me my mileage simply didn't justify the extra cost hence awaiting a new SB in 1.4 tfsi Sport trim.

Can't praise the 1.4 tfsi highly enough.

Reactions: ellie43
Thanks for your info guys - I've actually got a diesel at the moment, but now my daughters have bought cars of their own, I'm expecting my annual mileage to go down somewhat! My future figure will possibly be 8000-10000 so I thought a petrol engine would suit me better. I did have a test drive in a Golf 1.4 and A3 1.4 about 3 years ago and really liked the engine (this was s-tronic) but I wondered if the new model was much different. I do like the Sport trim and it sounds as though the ride is good, although magazine reviewers all seem to tell you to avoid the sport suspension ....
I was hoping to see the Sportback in the flesh at a dealership this weekend, but obviously they haven't managed to get hold of one and the event has been removed from the website. Really annoying .....in the meantime, I suppose I will have to browse the brochure and add up all the options!

I currently own a 1.4 tfsi golf twin-charged 140ps and lately had a test drive with a3 1.4 122hp (both manual). I was surprised by the performance as I found it similar to my golf. Only above 130km/h I've noticed some difference in favor of golf.
Finally I've ordered the 1.8 tfsi stronic , after having strong second thoughts about the 1.4 140ps cod stronic.

I've also thought about the 1.4 COD and have been told that details for that will be available at the end of March. I definitely want automatic transmission this time, but as for the actual model, I'll have to compare a few test drives ....
Decisions, decisions ......

I've also thought about the 1.4 COD and have been told that details for that will be available at the end of March. I definitely want automatic transmission this time, but as for the actual model, I'll have to compare a few test drives ....
Decisions, decisions ......

if I remember its march for the 1.4 cod 3dr

summer for sportback and s tronic versions

The 1.4 engine in the new A3 is new from the ground up. Even though it has the same 122 ps power output as the earlier one it is slightly larger capacity (1395 instead of 1390cc) but physically smaller and lighter being made from aluminium. It also has things like the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head to speed warm up.
The 1.8 is also a new engine.

A3 Sport 1.4 S-tronic on order for March 1 delivery to replace A1 1.4 S-Line S-tronic which I've had since launch and previously had 5 A3s, two of which were S-tronic.

The 1.4 engine in the new A3 is new from the ground up. Even though it has the same 122 ps power output as the earlier one it is slightly larger capacity (1395 instead of 1390cc) but physically smaller and lighter being made from aluminium. It also has things like the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head to speed warm up.
The 1.8 is also a new engine.

A3 Sport 1.4 S-tronic on order for March 1 delivery to replace A1 1.4 S-Line S-tronic which I've had since launch and previously had 5 A3s, two of which were S-tronic.

Chelmersteve, did you have a test drive in the S-tronic? If not, what made you choose this particular model?

Not had a test drive, I'm a bit of an Audi fan and haven't been disappointed so far. At the time I ordered I wasn't aware that it's a totally new engine and thought it was the same set up as in my A1 with which I've been very happy. I like the S-tronic transmission and the 7 speed behaves as well as, and in some ways better than the 6 speed version I had in my previous A3s, all of which were Sport trim. None of them has given me any trouble.
All the reports I've read for both the A3 and the new Golf rate the 1.4 engine so I don't feel uncomfortable with my choice.
The 1.4 has pretty respectable performance with low running costs and I didn't feel the 1.8 offered me any extra benefits.
I went for the Sport because it includes climate control and a few other niceties without the standardised upholstery that comes with the S-Line. I originally added Xenons too (which I have on my A1) but Audi was unable to supply for March delivery, still that got me some extra discount as well as the price reduction from them being removed. I have added the Comfort Pack, Interior Lights Pack and DAB radio. Colour is Monsoon Grey with black/black interior. The car was built last week so hopefully it will be here in time for March 1 delivery.

Sounds gorgeous! I too, would choose the Sport trim as S-line is pushing it a bit too far ... So far I have decided upon Monsoon Grey, alcantara/leather seats, interior light pack and comfort pack - very similar to your choice. I'd like to push the boat out and go for the panoramic sunroof and if I choose the 1.4 I would have a bit extra cash to play with ...
I will be really interested to see how you get on - although I can't imagine you won't like it! I've never had an Audi before but I've decided life's too short and it's about time I treated myself
Thanks for your help and good luck!

Sounds gorgeous! I too, would choose the Sport trim as S-line is pushing it a bit too far ... So far I have decided upon Monsoon Grey, alcantara/leather seats, interior light pack and comfort pack - very similar to your choice. I'd like to push the boat out and go for the panoramic sunroof and if I choose the 1.4 I would have a bit extra cash to play with ...
I will be really interested to see how you get on - although I can't imagine you won't like it! I've never had an Audi before but I've decided life's too short and it's about time I treated myself
Thanks for your help and good luck!

Get the xenons!!

the drl make an audi an audi, you can tell its an audi as soon as you see that strip of light!

Most important option if you can afford it imo

Get the xenons!!

the drl make an audi an audi, you can tell its an audi as soon as you see that strip of light!

Most important option if you can afford it imo

Each to his own, but I really don't like the DRLs on the A3. Too blingy for me!

Each to his own, but I really don't like the DRLs on the A3. Too blingy for me!

I actually agree but i feel when you see an audi without them it just doesnt look complete, like its missing abit of its soul!

I would have had the Xenons, and agree they do look great and are great to drive behind, but apparently Audi has or has had a supply problem - after having accepted my order they contacted the dealer and said they couldn't supply them and weren't accepting orders for S-Lines (that have them as standard) at that time. This was back in January with an order for March delivery. As the deal I had been offered was contingent on March delivery, waiting for Xenons would have cost me about twice the price of that option, taking into account the extra discount they gave for being unable to supply them. I decided that as I'll be driving I won't be able to see if I have Xenons or not so I'll just try not to think what it would be like to have them.

I would have had the Xenons, and agree they do look great and are great to drive behind, but apparently Audi has or has had a supply problem - after having accepted my order they contacted the dealer and said they couldn't supply them and weren't accepting orders for S-Lines (that have them as standard) at that time. This was back in January with an order for March delivery. As the deal I had been offered was contingent on March delivery, waiting for Xenons would have cost me about twice the price of that option, taking into account the extra discount they gave for being unable to supply them. I decided that as I'll be driving I won't be able to see if I have Xenons or not so I'll just try not to think what it would be like to have them.

This makes sense

As for visiblilty i recommend buying some philips bulbs and swapping them yourself, i did this on my vw and it is a huge improvement the ones i used are

Philips 12972-XVS2 H7 X-Treme Vision 100% Kit (2 Bulbs): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

This makes sense

As for visiblilty i recommend buying some philips bulbs and swapping them yourself
Assuming you can. I spent a long time last week-end trying to replace my dipped beam bulbs. Very hard to access from the A3, and quite a poor design from Audi. Went to Halford as they offer a fitting service, and three different guys tried for a while too, before finally doing it.

Assuming you can. I spent a long time last week-end trying to replace my dipped beam bulbs. Very hard to access from the A3, and quite a poor design from Audi. Went to Halford as they offer a fitting service, and three different guys tried for a while too, before finally doing it.

oh it was simple in the golf and I assumed the audi would be the same, all in the wrist action!