Badger5Sky Insurance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Audi Sound system vs B&O System

Neutral

Status

Audi Sound system vs B&O System

Hi guys, as you may have read in some earlier posts, I'm getting ready in the next month or so, to pull the trigger on a S-Line Sportback. With the exception of the engines (see other thread), I'm pretty sure of my spec (as I like my toys and luxury), but the one thing I'm not decided about is the £500 ish difference betwwen the Audi Sound System option (£255.00) vs the B&O System (£750.00).

Looking at the specs, the B&O system is obviously more powerful with 705watts vs 180 watts of the Audi system. But looking a little deeper, it "seems" that the B&O system's main difference (apart from power) is the 5.1 surround sound mode with the extra 4 speakers in the pillars for the surround effect ? As I don't really expect to be playing movies in the car but love my music, then for just music listening, is the B&O system worth the additional £500 or does the Audi system still do very well ? I appreciate that the B&O system probably uses higher quality main speakers in the doors.

I notice the Audi system still uses a centre speaker and it looks like a similar sub in the space wheel well as the B&O, so has anyone actually listened to both systems and can draw any comiparisions ?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I demo'd an A3 sport with the Audi sound system. Sounded good to me!
    I understand that the Audi sound system is unbranded Bose!

Not heard the B&O system on purpose, as I could not justify the extra cost!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

1st Gear

Status
    I just ordered an S-line hatchback yesterday with the B&O speakers. I'm like you - I love the gadgets and I'm far more interested in what I'm going to be sitting in front of for the next few years than mechanical specs. I think the look of the light-strip around the door speakers is a big plus.

3rd Gear

Status
    I tried both before ordering. I have the Audi upgrade system in my A4 which was standard on S-Line in 2010. When I heard the A3 sound upgrade, it didn't sound as good as the A4 so I went with B&O on my order.

I guess it's all relative and entirely personal though.

This may help a little:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...nd-system.html
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    Not heard the Audi System so can't compare but have the B&O and love it. It will obviously sound better but whether it's £500 better I doubt tbh - law of diminishing returns etc.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Might be worth checking my earlier post about the radio . The radio in the tech pack seems a higher spec than the standard one and I would therefore think that would be a better match to the B&O system

chester

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    I understand that the Audi sound system is unbranded Bose!
    I'd heard that too. When I checked, there were no Bose markings on the sub and it wasn't as good as the Bose in my S3. It was much better than the standard set up though.

I'm sure it was stamped DAS.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Tetbury Audi Parts Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    I'd heard that too. When I checked, there were no Bose markings on the sub and it wasn't as good as the Bose in my S3. It was much better than the standard set up though.

I'm sure it was stamped DAS.
    I think its quite possibly this company

D.A.S. Audio
    A3 2.0TDI S-LINE BRILLIANT BLACK (s-line suspension,Audi sound system) coming March (fingers crossed)!

Neutral

Status
    I had Bose in my 8p and specced the B&O in my 8V.

B&O makes the bose in my old A3 sound crap, It's in a different league to anything iv'e ever heard in ANY car.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cotball View Post
    I had Bose in my 8p and specced the B&O in my 8V.

B&O makes the bose in my old A3 sound crap, It's in a different league to anything iv'e ever heard in ANY car.
    You need a copy of the THX/DTS/DD demo DVD I have - the 5.1 surround is a great party trick
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Question for Vertigo1 please.

As you have the B&O system in your A3, could you answer the question as to whether the car also is able to carry a spare wheel (in conjunction with the Subwoofer), and with this combination, do you loose the double height boot floor (i.e. does it always have to be set at it's maximum height ?). Any chance you have any photos of the boot area showing the setup please (pretty please........)
    Last edited by Sootchucker; 19th February 2013 at 13:22.

1st Gear

Status
    That's an interesting question! I've specced the B&O sound system in my A3 too and I hadn't thought about it.
    Last edited by selar; 20th February 2013 at 02:00.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by selar View Post
    That's an interesting question! I've specced the B&O sound system in my A3 too and I hadn't thought about it. Sootchucker - do you mean Bose or B&O? Might be different if you're looking for the Bose that comes in, say, the A1 rather than Vertigo's B&O. Would still be interesting to see what the A1 Bose boot looks like though - my partner has ordered that.
    Mine has the B&O and still has the 2 different height setting for the boot floor.

Neutral

Status
    Sorry, meant B&O

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sootchucker View Post
    Question for Vertigo1 please.

As you have the B&O system in your A3, could you answer the question as to whether the car also is able to carry a spare wheel (in conjunction with the Subwoofer), and with this combination, do you loose the double height boot floor (i.e. does it always have to be set at it's maximum height ?). Any chance you have any photos of the boot area showing the setup please (pretty please........)
    As cotball has already said, the boot floor is still the same and has the two height settings. The subwoofer sits inside the space-saver spare wheel but is flush with the top of it and doesn't protrude any higher so doesn't affect the floor panel.

Can take some pics at some point if you like

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post

Can take some pics at some point if you like
    Ooh, yes please if that's not too much trouble ?

6th Gear

Status
    I'll try to remember tomorrow when there's some daylight
    selar likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I currently have an A5 Courtesy car with the B&O system, my 8P has the Bose and I really don't think they are worlds apart!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo_Sportback_S_Line View Post
    I currently have an A5 Courtesy car with the B&O system, my 8P has the Bose and I really don't think they are worlds apart!
    I wouldn't say they were "worlds apart" either but the B&O in my 8V is definitely a step up from the Bose in my 8P (both of them).

Forgot to take a pic today, sorry, will try again tomorrow.

6th Gear

Status
    Here you go

1st Gear

Status
    Wow, talk about seamless design (cabling aside). Though I would have thought that floating a speaker on top of a removable, metal component would have compromised sound quality. I'm even more surprised when I remember that it's B&O. Can you explain how its all stacked?

6th Gear

Status
    Stacked as in arranged in the spare wheel? No as I've not tried taking it out yet

The central nut obviously holds the whole thing down so there's no movement possible as that would obviously be fairly catastrophic for sound quality, especially with the serious thump this thing puts out. I've had the bass incredibly loud and the original THX trailer (THX Deep Note - original uncompressed audio - YouTube) on my demo DVD literally shakes the seats at around 2/3rds volume but never heard nor felt any rattles from the sub

1st Gear

Status
    Vertigo - what are your thoughts on classical music? I'm looking forward to giving this one a go (the good bit kicks in at 00:50):

Widor Toccata at Cathedral Basilica in Newark - YouTube

6th Gear

Status
    Am partial to a bit of classical now and then although haven't really tried any in the car as yet. Will have to do so

Neutral

Status
    I was a little shocked when I found the sub in the boot of mine but the sound quality certainly isn't compromised by it.

It's completely on another level than the Bose in the 8P, The Bass is ridiculous!, The rear windscreen vibrates alot and if you get out you can see the roof skin moving lol..

Thankfully you can turn it down although it's great when you're heading on a night out with some mates in the car!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by selar View Post
    Vertigo - what are your thoughts on classical music? I'm looking forward to giving this one a go (the good bit kicks in at 00:50):

Widor Toccata at Cathedral Basilica in Newark - YouTube
    Made it through to 1:30, then had to make it stop!
    A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI S-Line S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Alum Roof Rails, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Adaptive cruise, Int light pack, Audi sound, DAB, Folding mirrors, Reversable luggage mat, 5yr warranty.

6th Gear

Status
    Thing is, how do I get a Youtube clip into the car to try it? I could play it on my phone I guess and pipe the audio through the car. Bluetooth would compromise the audio quality too much so I could connect it to the AMI via cable but then Youtube audio quality isn't the best to start with.

5th Gear

Status
    I have B&O and listen to a fair bit of classical music. My findings so far are it's excellent, but I still had to boost the bass a little to overcome some of the road noise. Certainly still a big improvement over my previous car sound systems.

3rd Gear

Status
    I've had a new A6 3.0TDi Black Edition on loan today instead of my A4. It had Bose sound so I had a chance to compare with the B&O in the A3 back to back.

I have to say, the B&O sounds much better - crisper with more clarity and bass. I was expecting the opposite to be honest so pleasantly surprised.

Reverse Gear

Status
    My a3 SB has the Audio sound system. I had a wobble and tried to change it to B&O at the last minute but had missed the cut off date.

Had my car for 2 days now and I'm more than happy with the sound that's coming from it and I like my music.

Cheers.
    RYuill likes this.
    Ordered: Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0TDi, Daytona grey, panoramic sunroof, aluminium roof rails, tech pack, comfort pack, alcantara, hold assist, Audi sound system, interior light package, deselect Sport suspension - Delivery APRIL 2013

1st Gear

Status
    Thing is, how do I get a Youtube clip into the car to try it? I could play it on my phone I guess and pipe the audio through the car. Bluetooth would compromise the audio quality too much so I could connect it to the AMI via cable but then Youtube audio quality isn't the best to start with.
    I use this website to get an mp3 out of a YouTube clip, though I still would have downloaded a good quality version from a music service to make sure I get the full whack of the bass from the Widor Toccata. I'm planning to use Spotify for my car music but no-one was able to answer my question in another thread about the quality played through the B&O.

Incidentally - where did you get your THX sound file? My car comes this week and I'd love to try it out after the hype you've given it.

YouTube to MP3 Converter - Fast, Free - ListenToYouTube.com

6th Gear

Status
    My THX stuff is on a home-brewed demo DVD that someone put together. It's got all the Dolby Digital, DTS and THX trailers/demos that you remember from the cinema, plus a compilation of various film clips and the POD race sequence from Phantom Menace.

I downloaded it from somewhere but can't find it any more. If you want a copy let me know and I'll stick one in the post - already promised mjcourtney one but not got round to sending it out yet

4th Gear

Status
    any pictures of the B&O speakers which are "illuminated" ?

is the lighting permanent or just when the system is turned on ?

is the B&O as good on standard set up ie, if you don't go for the full tech pack ?
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

5th Gear

Status
    The lighting is on the front woofers. It only comes on when the rest of the cabin illumination is on in low light. If you have the interior light pack you can adjust the intensity of illumination from within the MMI.

Vertigo1 took some stunning photos of the interior - including the speakers here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...ml#post1708222

I have the B&O with the Tech Pack and the sound is fantastic, i've not compared it to the standard MMI system though.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

4th Gear

Status
    Wow, they were excellent pictures cheers.

The interior lit up at night looks great doesn't it.

5th Gear

Status
    Yep, i've been doing two viewings for my car - once during the day, and then inviting people back for a repeat visit in the evening to view the 'illuminations'! The B&O finishes it off a treat I think
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    The lighting is on the front woofers. It only comes on when the rest of the cabin illumination is on in low light. If you have the interior light pack you can adjust the intensity of illumination from within the MMI.

Vertigo1 took some stunning photos of the interior - including the speakers here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...ml#post1708222

I have the B&O with the Tech Pack and the sound is fantastic, i've not compared it to the standard MMI system though.
    With the standard tec pack it is still very very good well worth the money and the illuminated door speakers look amazing a really nice touch.

5th Gear

Status
    Good to know! I think the conclusion here is the B&O is well worth it regardless of tech pack

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackrob View Post
    With the standard tec pack it is still very very good well worth the money and the illuminated door speakers look amazing a really nice touch.

Cheers mate - that is good to know.
    My extras list is getting bigger and bigger so having to cut some corners somewhere.
    I was not initially speccing B&O but now I am feeling I "need it" to add to the wow factor !
    Great to know the B&O is a good addition, even without the full tech pack so thanks for that

5th Gear

Status
    I downloaded it from somewhere but can't find it any more. If you want a copy let me know and I'll stick one in the post - already promised mjcourtney one but not got round to sending it out yet
    I've been sat on the doormat by the letter box for so long I can't feel my legs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast