Road abuse!

number3

Reaction score
Couldn’t think where to post this, but anyway ,mods move ifrequired.

Having come from BMW company cars over recent years, I am somewhatused to the strange and unnecessary attitude from other drivers on the road, peoplenever giving way, tailgating no matter what speed you are doing on any type ofroad, etc, etc, . My Dad used to say it was usually Volvo drivers who got theabuse, probably for different reasons lol.

Anyway I’ve noticed this happens still with my Audi ,andthat one type of “make” and I suppose model, seems intent on running me off theroad, more so than any other, tailgating , never letting me pass, if I’m overtaking increasing speed….etc, It couldbe totally me but before I say was wondering if you all know the make I’m aboutto say?????? And have similar experiences ??????

Mark.
( sorry for the strange spacing on text above, sent from my phone )

Last edited:
I think this just happens to everyone mate. The road is just full of jealous and ******** drivers unfortunately!

I get when driving the wife's 05 saab oil burner.

A little touch of the brakes works wonders ya know. ;-)

It'll help the tailgater to poop easier. Lol

A lot of people have a grudge against 'premium' car brands: Audi, BMW, Merc etc, especially new ones. They think "flash g*t" when they see you drive past, I think it sometimes whilst oggling Aston Martins and wishing I owned one lol.

But there are, just plain and simply, some awful drivers out there. They will tailgate for no reason, undertake, not signal, have terrible lane discipline, the list is almost endless. You can just console yourself with the fact that, you're not one of them.

What was the make you were referencing specifically?

..perhaps it just me then??

VW drivers, and golf's specifically!

Mark.

If you're being "tailgated" on a dual carriageway/motorway then get out of the outside lane. If not, then just don't worry about it. If someone goes into the back of you it's their fault.

Agreed about the roads are full of narrow-minded clowns. Too much time spent on their tartphones and not enough looking out of the windscreen (nearly got rear-ended yesterday by a tart playing with the radio/handbag).

If you're being "tailgated" on a dual carriageway/motorway then get out of the outside lane.

Here here!!! +1
also the only reason people are able to 'undertake' is because the car they are 'undertaking' is allowing them to do so because they are probably sitting in the middle lane or outside lane for no apparent reason and with no intention of getting back over into the 'driving' lane, dawdling along in their own world not paying attention to what is going on around them! That could be ANY particular make or model of vehicle it's all down to the 'drivers' inability to 'drive'.............These people deserve abuse! IMO of course

Last edited:
Here here!!! +1
also the only reason people are able to 'undertake' is because the car they are 'undertaking' is allowing them to do so because they are pro ably sitting in the middle lane or outside lane for no apparent reason and with no intention of getti g back over into the 'driving' lane dawdling along in their own world not paying attention to what is going on around them! That could be ANY particular make or model of vehicle it's all down to the 'drivers' inability to 'drive'.............These people deserve abuse! IMO of course

:) This bugs me so much about the UK and drivers in general. I frequently 'undertake' at 70mph in the inside lane when tens of cars are in the outside lane of a 3-lane motorway doing 57mph braking and running bumper to bumper. It's a joke. You can see them all start to peel off if/when they realise that they are completely stupid.

I drive up to Scotland on the M74 quite often and last weekend one lady was in the outside lane doing 59mph I came up behind her and waited then she moved over to let me past and then went back into the 'important driver' lane after I'd gone past her. Insane.

I'd quite happily retake my driving test every month if it meant that these idiots failed theirs and reduced the amount of cars on the road but the Government wouldn't make billions on fuel if that was the case. Same as speed bumps, all designed to make you use more fuel (and add CO2 to the atmosphere from accelerating away).

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010
VW drivers are usually spotty little oiks with bean can sized exhausts... audi wannabees ;)

:) This bugs me so much about the UK and drivers in general. I frequently 'undertake' at 70mph in the inside lane when tens of cars are in the outside lane of a 3-lane motorway doing 57mph braking and running bumper to bumper. It's a joke. You can see them all start to peel off if/when they realise that they are completely stupid.

I drive up to Scotland on the M74 quite often and last weekend one lady was in the outside lane doing 59mph I came up behind her and waited then she moved over to let me past and then went back into the 'important driver' lane after I'd gone past her. Insane.

I'd quite happily retake my driving test every month if it meant that these idiots failed theirs and reduced the amount of cars on the road but the Government wouldn't make billions on fuel if that was the case. Same as speed bumps, all designed to make you use more fuel (and add CO2 to the atmosphere from accelerating away).

It's not about re-testing, it's about testing motorway driving in the first place. It's not part of the current test, and was just barely touched on when I was learning. Lane discipline reaches new lows if you're ever in Texas - people just go wherever they fancy, and usually either weaving in and out of every lane, or only overtake when there's 2 free lanes and then slow down once they pass the car. You need to be watching your mirrors over there, all 3 of them!

As for tail-gating, or trying to egg me into overtaking/racing them; I get the most hassle from Astra VXRs. I guess every car has a one-sided rivalry that owners seem to think they have something to prove, or maybe everyone is just a bad driver these days.

I'd quite happily retake my driving test every month if it meant that these idiots failed theirs and reduced the amount of cars on the road

TOTALLY AND UTTERLY AGREE!! This has got to be my biggest pet hate in the world, EVER! I work on the motorway and it just amazes me, for instance 3am in the morning, nothing on the road at all apart from myself, car comes on from slip road and swerves across 3 lanes, into outside lane (lane 3) and sits there at 53mph! I know this because I purposely sit at the same speed in lane 1.

In traffic the only time they use lane 1 is when it all starts backing up in lane 3 & 2, arrrrggg I can feel myself getting annoyed just thinking about it! I think you're right, these people would fail a re-test because a lot of this type of driving is because these people have had no education in m-way driving, I hate to say it but driving in France/continent in general, they have a better understanding of how to drive and that the 'overtaking' lane is for overtaking and not for a scenic Sunday drive at 53mph!!

Agreed the lack of motorway education/lane discipline is horrendous here. Lately I've seen 2 driving instructors with learners telling them to be in the left hand lane to go 3rd/4th exit on a roundabout. They don't respond well to phone calls explaining that they should have their driving instructor license taken off them. This is my new game, collecting their phone numbers and giving them an earful as it's their fault for teaching the crap that's on the roads.

Obviously it's down to the 'buzz' of earn £500pw from being a driving instructor adverts - any idiot can do it. A friend of mine, worst driver in the world, has his instructor's license and while he was taking his lessons I was behind him returning home and he was doing 40mph past a school. I spoke to him the next day and he said they don't drive at 30mph so they can pass through more areas/obstacles within the allotted time for the lesson. Words fail me.

Sorry back on track with the thread.

Obviously it's down to the 'buzz' of earn £500pw from being a driving instructor adverts - any idiot can do it. A friend of mine, worst driver in the world, has his instructor's license and while he was taking his lessons I was behind him returning home and he was doing 40mph past a school. I spoke to him the next day and he said they don't drive at 30mph so they can pass through more areas/obstacles within the allotted time for the lesson. Words fail me.

Wow... there actually are no words... blind leading the blind is close, but the blind at least have the sense not to drive. Sorry, sense might be the wrong word... nevermind.

VW drivers are usually spotty little oiks with bean can sized exhausts... audi wannabees ;)

Oi, steady on, I'm currently a VW driver and am certainly not a spotty oik, neither could I not afford an Audi at the time. :w00t:

In fact, straight back at you, as I've just arrived home from a 300 miles trip from Oban in Scotland, and the worst offender was an Audi driver. A black 61 plate A4 to be exact who at 80-85mph in driving rain and howling winds, obviously wanted to climb in the boot of a Merc c250, at least that's what I thought he was trying to do as he was less than half a bonnets length behind the Merc in the 3rd lane. To be fair to the Merc, he was overtaking a truck at the time, and yet was intimidated by this twonk, tailgating and flashing his lights.

You see my friend, it's not the car, it's the organic idiot in the drivers seat that gets a car a bad name, and there are plenty of Audi drivers I've seen who fall into that category (as well as VW, Merc, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall........etc).

Anyway, he got his comeuppance, as just before the Gretna exit, he was on the hard shoulder, with a jam butty car behind him, explaining to him no doubt, what a silly man (or words to the effect of) he was.

..perhaps it just me then??

VW drivers, and golf's specifically!

Mark.
I was gonna say VW Golf! I think it's an inferiority complex with them ...the only "hot"ish hatch their cars are inherently faster than these days are A3's, because ours are heavier they feel safe challenging "factory standard" looking cars.

Having the engine designation on the bootlid doesn't help either (don't know if you have or not)! they see 1.8T, 2.0T or 2.0TDi and think they know what your car is capable of! I removed the engine designation from mine and replaced it with an S-Line badge, so it doesn't look standard, They have no idea if the engine is tweaked or not! it means I can potter about in peace ...and surprise a few of them when the mood takes me. ;)

I've always associated BMW drivers with the bad rep on the road. Growing up I always heard that was the case and then when I started driving they would always be the ones tailgating people at speed or cutting in front of people, turning left in right hand lanes to skip queue's etc. However as I got older I heard that Audi drivers were getting associated with the same kind of stereotype and I must admit 95% of people I see doing silly manovers, cutting in traffic / tailgating etc are are big BMW cars or big Audi's.

I think its just how some people are on the road. I certainly see alot of BMW's doing silly things and tailgating more than anyone else so I always kinda associate them with that stereotype, perhaps unfairly, but 9 times out of 10 they do something stupid as expected. I notice that at the moment in my little A1 1.6 TDI I get pulled out on alot and cut up alot, whether thats because its an audi, or just bad luck or whether they can tell its the massively underpowered 1.6 TDI so know I couldn't respond even if I wanted to!

Again it was a different story with my old Honda Civic Type R, would get alot of people seemingly trying to goad me into a silly race but I must admit I seemed to get alot more respect on the road on that as I think people knew what acceleration and speeds they could do so I never had anyone pulling out on me in that car.

Unless like you say its just people perhaps being jealous of the cars? But I can't see why each to their own, I think many other makes of car are really nice and I try to give everyone respect on the road, particuarly nice cars, providing they don't drive like idiots :)

This is why I love taking my A3 on holiday to Germany where they seem to be taught to drive properly. Before a student can even take the driving test they have to do:
at least 225 minutes and 50 kilometers per session on highways or country roads
at least 135 minutes driving on the Autobahn with each journey lasting at least 45 minutes
at least 90 minutes driving in twilight or darness, half of this on highways or country roads

The total learning process will cost over €1,000 and 30% of the students who take the test fail to pass in the first try.

This is why I love taking my A3 on holiday to Germany where they seem to be taught to drive properly. Before a student can even take the driving test they have to do:
at least 225 minutes and 50 kilometers per session on highways or country roads
at least 135 minutes driving on the Autobahn with each journey lasting at least 45 minutes
at least 90 minutes driving in twilight or darness, half of this on highways or country roads

The total learning process will cost over €1,000 and 30% of the students who take the test fail to pass in the first try.

Wow, I didn't know that. I did see a Top Gear that explained what lengths you have to go through to get a license in Finland. Something like 3 years of lessons and lots of snow driving, hence why they are so good at rallying ;)

I don't know what it is about white BMWs but (imo) there's not a decent driver behind the wheel of any one of them.

Add to that any B*sch W*rcester van driver, afore-mentioned spotty oiks in twenty year old not-so-super minis and the Mercedes driving sixty plus brigade (aka 60mph outer lane hoggers extraordinaire).

And breathe.