Last minute advice needed

z1ggy

Reaction score
Looking to pull the trigger and place the order for a new A3 Sport 1.4 TFSI Stronic and after any advice.

Alcantara leather
Park assist
Side assist
Comfort package
DAB radio
Door mirrors
Heated front seats
SD navigation

i appreciate that the park assist is an odd ball, but tried it today and it worked. Have I missed anything obvious options, I don't need more power and will probably deselect the sports suspension.

specifically I would like to know how hard wearing the alcantara seats are? After three years am I likely to regret not buying the cloth upholstery.

thanks

Interior light pack adds a touch of class to the interior - about £170.
Hill Hold is also well worth it for about £90.

Looking to pull the trigger and place the order for a new A3 Sport 1.4 TFSI Stronic and after any advice.

Alcantara leather
Park assist
Side assist
Comfort package
DAB radio
Door mirrors
Heated front seats
SD navigation

i appreciate that the park assist is an odd ball, but tried it today and it worked. Have I missed anything obvious options, I don't need more power and will probably deselect the sports suspension.

specifically I would like to know how hard wearing the alcantara seats are? After three years am I likely to regret not buying the cloth upholstery.

thanks

I have Alcantara Leather on my current A4 avant.

After 3 years and over 76,000 miles it looks as good as new!

I have spec'd it again on my ordered A3 Sportback.

Interior light pack adds a touch of class to the interior - about £170.
Hill Hold is also well worth it for about £90.

Hittchy

why Hill Hold?

this is my first auto, but I figured that the electronic handbrake gives you a second or I could hold it with my left foot on the brake? Am I missing something?

I have Alcantara Leather on my current A4 avant.

After 3 years and over 76,000 miles it looks as good as new!

I have spec'd it again on my ordered A3 Sportback.

Thanks, this is just what I want to hear

Hittchy

why Hill Hold?

this is my first auto, but I figured that the electronic handbrake gives you a second or I could hold it with my left foot on the brake? Am I missing something?

I agree with you. As you can hold it on the foot brake and the car will then hold it for a second or so when you move your foot to the accelerator, I really don't see the point of the full Hill Hold option. If you don't want to keep your foot on the brake then just flick the handbrake on then drive away as normal when you need to.

Hold Assist was not offered previously on S-tronic cars, as the car move creep and move forward once the brakes are released anyway. Then Audi added as standard with S-tronic, I guess to protect the gearbox. It's a bit strange it's back to be optional now.

If the car holds the break for a second or so, I can only assume you would have hill hold assist.

Hittchy

why Hill Hold?

It's something I had never considered before trying it (maybe a little like the park assist you mention). Strangely, it wasn't on hills as such I saw the benefit. After living with an electronic handbrake for the last three years on my current car, hill starts are easier than ever.

It was more in slow moving traffic - coming off motorway slip roads, up to roundabouts or junctions. It just took away the (relatively small) hassle of flicking the switch up five or six times when moving slow to save blinding following cars with those rear LED lights!

It should really be standard as it is in the Golf. I can stomach £90 for it. Not sure I'd pay much more for it though.

If the car holds the break for a second or so, I can only assume you would have hill hold assist.

No, it's a standard feature, although it will only hold the brake for about a second, just enough time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator without having to resort to the handbrake. As I understand it, the Hill Hold option just extends this feature so it will last much longer and you can then take your foot off the brake immediately rather than waiting until you're ready to move. In such cases I just flick the handbrake on which is hardly a chore. Really don't see the point in this option at all, money better spent elsewhere if you ask me.

It's something I had never considered before trying it (maybe a little like the park assist you mention). Strangely, it wasn't on hills as such I saw the benefit. After living with an electronic handbrake for the last three years on my current car, hill starts are easier than ever.

It was more in slow moving traffic - coming off motorway slip roads, up to roundabouts or junctions. It just took away the (relatively small) hassle of flicking the switch up five or six times when moving slow to save blinding following cars with those rear LED lights!

It should really be standard as it is in the Golf. I can stomach £90 for it. Not sure I'd pay much more for it though.

Hittchy

Thanks, now I understand. Depending on how the negotiations go I might add to the list.

Now that you mention it, I am concious of blinding people behind me at night by leaving my foot on the brake with the LEDs at the back (I'm considerate like that) so maybe it would be useful in those situations.

Speaking of the brake lights, I didn't realise until very recently that you only get LEDs at the rear if you have LEDs & Xenons at the front too - I just assumed the rear LEDs were standard but apparently not.

Alcantara I only know of issues was back in the S3 8L days, as I had one & they suffered a little of bobbling as such, but it wasnt severe tbh & a remington fuzz away fixed that lol, but I have alcantara on 2 cars & its as good as gold.

I'm considerate like that

Me too. I just wish the rest of the motoring population was.

I remember sitting behind someone with LED brake lights on a motorway slip road at night and it was painful on the eyes.

Thanks all, hill hold a possible now and alcantara a certainty.

Just need to get a deal, currently my dealer is not prepared to move from the list price. Feels like he is doing me a favour, so tomorrow will give a few garages a ring to see what offers are out there.

Any advice on the best places to get a deal gratefully received

My local dealers were the same. They always make you feel like they're doing you a favour by selling you a car. Out of eight Audis, only two were supplied locally.

Where in the country are you based?

I would have gone through Drive the Deal (online) if one of the dealers I'd used previously hadn't come very close to the online price. It'll mean travelling 150 miles but worth it for the saving.

Thanks

Just got some quotes from:
Drive the Deal
Orangewheels
Broad speed
UKnewcars

All offering about the same discount of £1700. All first registered user from an Audi Dealer........so looks like I have an option.

I will give my dealer one more chance, but if he choses not to get close to the above he will have lost a sale.

Great forum thanks for the advice to date

Interesting because I have always been given around £2500 discount plus a better than average trade-in figure on my A3s. But I have purchased all my A3s from the same salesman at the same dealers. If you think you may be buying more Audi's in the future is may be worth considering building up a relationship with a dealer. It could work out to you advantage in the long run rather than just going for the lowest possible price this time.

Also with a good relationship with a dealer they will often do minor things on the car for free when they would normally charge.

Update, car now ordered.

I was able to work with the dealer to agree a mutually agreeable price. The info gleaned from this forum certainly helped in the negotiations, so thanks one and all.

Yet to get a build date, but suspect it will be past April before I see my car.

Picked my A3 up today. Unfeasably long wait, but so far have to say that it is a great car.

Reactions: Smythy