Dilemma A3 Sportsback 1.4TFSI or 1.8TFSI Manual

paul8852

Reaction score
I was about to proceed with an order for a 1.4TFSI A3 Sportback S Line Manual as the 1.8TFSI was only available in the auto mode.
Having checked the price specification this morning noticed that this is now available in manual, I wondered if anyone can give me an idea as to how the two compare & whether there is a noticeable difference in performance to justify the £2000 additional cost, thanks.

Last edited:
The 1.4 Tfsi 122bhp is a bit obsolete now. I would wait 3 months and order the new 1.4 Tfsi 140bhp ACT if time and money are not an issue.

Sorry just gone back to the configurator and it appears it's only the hatch that's available with the manual box, need to get to Specsavers!!! Interesting sebtomato that you feel the 1.4Tfsi is already obsolete, any idea as to how much the 1.4 Tfsi 140bhp is going to cost, I am sure it wont be long before Audi do make the 1.8 with a manual set up, many reviewers love the engine but hate the transmission!! This would certainly be my weapon of choice if it ever gets on the production line.

Or u could go for the 1.4tfsi spend 2k less and buy a tuning box to increase its bhp to over 150bhp. Remove it for services etc which is easy. They cost about 299 for a good one.

The 1.4 Tfsi 122bhp is a bit obsolete now. I would wait 3 months and order the new 1.4 Tfsi 140bhp ACT if time and money are not an issue.

:faint:

I'm not sure I'd agree with you on that score Sebtomato, if ACT technology comes at a cost of £2k extra I don't think it's value for money going into ACT territory just yet for a number of buyers and lets face it the 1.4 ACT it's hardly a lightning rod in comparison to the now obsolete 1.4tfsi going by the figures released so I will respectfully disagree with you on the obsolete point :icon_thumright:

In response to the original posters question, I test drove a 1.8 tfsi and 1.4 tfsi when I was buying my current A3 SB 8P, and there is most certainly a noteable difference but not enough to tempt me spending more dosh on it as I thought the 1.4 tfsi was a crackin engine and still feel that way. As a private buyer I've got to get the best value I can and the 1.8 just didn't seem worth the extra

Hitting 0-60 in 8 secs isn't really a big aspiration of mine so the 1.4tfsi ticked all the right boxes for me but I would def' suggest you try and get a drive in both.

Interesting sebtomato that you feel the 1.4Tfsi is already obsolete, any idea as to how much the 1.4 Tfsi 140bhp is going to cost
Compared to the current 1.4, the new ACT 1.4 should cost £600 - £800 more. However, full economy is identical if not better, and engine is getting excellent reviews.

I will respectfully disagree with you on the obsolete point :icon_thumright:
I guess we will have to wait and see once that engine is available, and see how many people still buy the old one. As you stated, the price difference will be the key here, but there are also some other considerations, in term of fuel consumption, tax and speed.

Thanks for your input guys, like the idea of tuning up the 122bhp to 150bhp although my leasing company may take a dim view on that. I have driven the 1.4 petrol & the 2.0 diesel and in an ideal world would love a cross of them both, the peppy & very quiet 1.4 married to the low end grunt & torque of the diesel, this is why I was initially interested in the 1.8...because my driving is principally town based I think the 1.4 petrol with its cheaper price, fuel, and insurance will get the nod.

Reactions: viperfire
Engine technologies will no doubt continue with mpg / emissions improving but cost is obviously a key factor considering the right engine.

Figure I pulled out my memory was the diff between Golf GT prices but must admit it does seem quite a costly jump so maybe that includes DSG? Just too costly at that price for my wallet

I do approx 5k miles a year and that's mainly trips up to north Scotland or weekend jaunts, as in Edinburgh parking is a nightmare (bus is more convenient commuting to work) so car barely is nit doing many miles weekdays hence I'd not get the value back in forking out on the ACT even at a £800-1000 more than 1.4tfsi

once the ACT is available in an A3 ill maybe go and get a drive in one to see what I'm missing :)

I have driven the 1.4 petrol & the 2.0 diesel and in an ideal world would love a cross of them both, the peppy & very quiet 1.4 married to the low end grunt & torque of the diesel
Well, I think you have been advised on what's the cross between the 1.4 122bhp and the 2.0 TDI, in term of bhp, mpg and cost.

Last edited:
I was facing a similar dilemma but decided to go with 1.8 tfsi stronic instead of 1.4 tfsi COD stronic.
I’ll give you some of my criteria that you might find useful

1. The COD engine is a completely new engine and its reliability is yet unknown.
  2. Production for the 1.8 tfsi sportback stronic starts in February , the 1.4 COD in May with first deliveries around July . (for 1.8 tfsi manual I dont have a clue).
  3. Consumption :
1.4 TFSI COD 140PS S tronic : Urban 5.8, Suberban 4.4 , mixed 4.7 ( I took the urban and suburban consumption numbers from golf VII , the 4.7 mixed is the official consumption from audi)
1.8 TFSI Stronic Urban 7, Suberban 4.8 , mixed 5.6

if my budget was limited i'd buy the smaller engine with the s-tronic box , since i've drove it in the past and there's no way im buying manual again.

Thanks for your input guys, like the idea of tuning up the 122bhp to 150bhp although my leasing company may take a dim view on that. I have driven the 1.4 petrol & the 2.0 diesel and in an ideal world would love a cross of them both, the peppy & very quiet 1.4 married to the low end grunt & torque of the diesel, this is why I was initially interested in the 1.8...because my driving is principally town based I think the 1.4 petrol with its cheaper price, fuel, and insurance will get the nod.
you remove it so they would never know mate

Seriously tempted viperfire & it would save me a heap of cash, some reviewers including What Car reckon this (1.4Tfsi) is the best engine in the range!? Its not the first time I've seen them raving about an engine variant that you expect your 'nan to be driving :)

You still have to declare any tuning to the insurance company, and therefore to the leasing company... and it would also void the warranty, so I wouldn't do this on a new, leased car.

The insurance issue is a valid point - simply not worth the risk. If you ended upside down in a ditch and pulled out of your car you'd have little chance to remove it.

In terms of the warranty, I remapped my TT a number of years ago. Warranty was never an issue, unless the remap had contributed to the problem. For example, if your wheels started flaking Audi would honour the claim regardless of remap. However, if your clutch went they'd argue that it was down to the remap. It also helps if you have a good relationship with your dealer - some are more 'remap friendly' than others. It does create an added headache though.

I agree with sebtomato on the 1.4 ACT 140 engine. If you want the best of both worlds with a torquey engine that's quiet and smooth, hold out for this model. Drive a Golf in the meantime with this combination if you need convincing.

Thanks for your input hittchy, sounds like a good plan, will test drive the Golf & see how it compares dynamically to the one four I've already driven albeit in SE mode, I have to admit the drive was fine in the one four, very quiet and worth serious consideration, unfair to compare it to my present A6 2.0 177bhp Diesel, its always going to play second fiddle in the 50-80mph stakes..will give my local VW dealer a call to test, thanks again.

Yes to be fair i always tell the insurance but i buy cars and don't least then. I would never tell the dealer about a remap though

Just to add fuel to the fire Clarkson is reviewing the new VW Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT today in the Sunday Times & is raving about it, with the byline "No one can reinvent the wheel quite like you Fritz" I think I'll hold out to see what price Audi decide to market the A3 1.4Tfsi S Line ACT 150 before ordering, anything sub £1000 (on to the present £23,200) has got to be worth it.

Using the Golf as a guide, I think it was about £500 less than the 2.0 TDi 150.

That puts it at around £25,000 hittchy, £1800 more than the standard 1.4Tfsi wondering whether to stick or twist!? Was budgetting for it to be around £23,800 a lot to think about!!!

Just to add fuel to the fire Clarkson is reviewing the new VW Golf 1.4 TSI ACT GT today in the Sunday Times & is raving about it, with the byline "No one can reinvent the wheel quite like you Fritz" I think I'll hold out to see what price Audi decide to market the A3 1.4Tfsi S Line ACT 150 before ordering, anything sub £1000 (on to the present £23,200) has got to be worth it.

According to my ETKA mind of information, the Mounting Time, which usually means the start of production for A3 models with the same CPTA engine type which VW describe as the 140hp 1.4TSI ACT is 01/13 for the 3-door and 02/13 for the Sportback. Quite when they will be available in the UK is anyones guess but it does seem like Audi are going to use the engine.

Audi UK told me the 1.4 ACT would not be available for order before the summer / June.

Last edited:
That puts it at around £25,000 hittchy, £1800 more than the standard 1.4Tfsi wondering whether to stick or twist!? Was budgetting for it to be around £23,800 a lot to think about!!!

I think you may be pretty close there, Paul

On the VW website, they list the following prices for the new Golf.

SE 2.0 TDi 150 £22,015
SE 1.4 ACT 140 n/a
SE 1.4 122 £19,645

GT 2.0 TDi 150 £23,465
GT 1.4 ACT 140 £22,960
GT 1.4 122 n/a

GT trim is £1,450 more expensive on the 2.0 TDi than SE trim. So, filling in the blanks, it appears that VW are asking a £1,800 premium for this engine.

Only time will tell whether Audi follow. However, the difference between the 1.4 TFSi 122 engine and the 2.0 TDi 150 with VW is £2,370 and with Audi it's £2,300, so it seems reasonable that Audi will command a similar premium for the 1.4 ACT engine as VW.

can anyone tell me what ACT means? is this the new 2013 line?
ACT stands for Active Cylinder Technology. This is a system where with engine speed between 1000 and 4000 rpm and at speeds up to 80 mph, two of the four cylinders are deactivated. The idea is to optimize the engine's efficency and reduce reduce fuel consumption and CO2.

Yes it is new for the 2013 range. It is not yet available for the A3 but is available for new Golf VII. It will become available for the A3 range, probably later this year.

Yes it is new for the 2013 range. It is not yet available for the A3 but is available for new Golf VII. It will become available for the A3 range, probably later this year.
At the showing off the Sportback event Monday this week one of the Audi chaps in Norwich said the cylinder on demand 1.4 A3 would would be available to order week 16, so towards the end of April.

Was there any info provided on the UK Release date of A3 SB?

Seems like it's a big secret and noone knows :tapedshut:

The COD SB? Although the evening was about the SB I'm really only interested in the 3-door and I'm afraid I didn't ask. We arrived a bit late and missed the intro so they might have said something then. Test driving the 1.8 TFSI on Sunday so I'll try to remember to ask.

The ACT looks great in just about every respect, its quicker at the 0-60mph 8.4 seconds as opposed to 9.6 seconds, higher top speed 132mph compared to the standard 1.4Tfsi at 126mph..not that many of us are truly going to put these figures to the test, better economy because of the cylinder shut down & lower tax banding....as much as I want to order an A3 now can has anyone heard what premium we will have to pay for this, also wondered if anyone knows whether there is a manual override (like the stop/start button) to enable all cylinders to work together just in case you dont get on with COD?