AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Privacy Glass A3 S Line Sportback

Just wondered if anyone has seen the 2103 Sportback with Privacy Glass in the showrooms yet. I know a number of vehicles are doing the rounds presently (alas none in Sussex yet) just need to know how much tint is being used as a number of publicity shots of the S Line without Privacy Glass looked quite tinted anyway, possibly not enough to do without the PG but would be interested if the tint is similar to the A3 hatch. Looking to purchase in Glacier White with Alu/Black (undecided) rails.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have ordered a Glacier White Sportback, see below.

I thought about privacy glass as it looks good on the three door A3. However, I think it does not suit a five door car.

In addition, I have ordered a sunroof and I thought that did not go with privacy glass. A bit contradictory, more light through the roof and less through the windows!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    However, I think it does not suit a five door car.
    I ordered with privacy glass, then took it off for the same reason. Someone suggested that BMW graduate the tint from the front which makes far more sense. After seeing lots of images of the A3, it seemed to make the car look unbalanced on the Sportback.

There are some Sportback photos on the forum somewhere with privacy glass.

Maybe I'll regret changing the order when it arrives!
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status

Privacy Glass A3 S Line Sportback

I've ordered mine without privacy glass. It just doesn't look right - in my opinion.

Some photos of the Sportback with and without privacy glass in my Photobucket album:

http://s373.beta.photobucket.com/use...13%20Audi%20A3
    Last edited by daveb99; 21st January 2013 at 22:00.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black Pearl | Heated Nappa Leather | B&O | Technology Pack | Comfort Pack | Interior Lighting Pack | Parking System Plus | DAB | Alu Roof rails | Elec folding mirrors | Mono.pur | Rear Side Airbags | Elec lumbar
    |

SOLD 2007 A6 Avant 2.7 TDI Le Mans quattro
    Daytona Grey | Leather | MMI High | Bluetooth | Adaptive Xenons | BOSE | DAB | Heated F&R | AMI | Parking F&R | Storage Pack | Visibility Pack | Interior Light Pack |

Neutral

Status
    I've un-ticked that option too, like previously mentioned I wish Audi adopted BMWs graduated shading policy, start at the A pillar with a subtle shading (to conform to current regs) & work it back to the darker shading on the rear, Audi's (factory fitted) policy looks lopsided (clear to black) this is why I reckon many Audi buyers do their own thing with privacy glass, its strange that many of the publicity videos aren't going with the factory fitted option, that rule was broken with the endless Audi Connect plugging...just try getting it in your new A3 in the UK!!!

Personally I think any A3 with the privacy glass looks rather like a van!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Privacy glass is pointless as it looks crap going from clear to dark and then also the cost from Audi, get your tints done at a tint shop with a light tint on the front and medium on the rear and it will flow much better for cheaper outlay

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_fr200 View Post
    get your tints done at a tint shop with a light tint on the front and medium on the rear and it will flow much better for cheaper outlay
    How good are these nowadays?

I'm guessing as with everything else, the quality is far better than it was five or ten years ago. Anyone with any experience?
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Neutral

Status
    Just a quick question re privacy glass (from any manufacturer for that matter). Is the "film" applied to the inside of the windows during manufacture (much like after market tinting companies), or somehow embedded in the glass ?

I ask as on our current cars, very infrequently our cocker spaniel sometimes rides in the back, and he has a habit of jumping up at the window with his paws on it. Was wondering if even the factory tints would suffer and scratch under these conditions ?

3rd Gear

Status
    It's the actual glass that's tinted from the factory - no film.

Neutral

Status
    Excellent thanks.