VCDS

Beoman

Reaction score
Has anyone connected VCDS to a 8v?

i am thinking og retrofitting a cruise control but still need to get the VCDS.

VCDS will connect to an 8V, Nigel ,username NHN on here will probably be able to help you with CC retrofit.

User NHN can retrofit cc and he is also supplier of vcds. Drop him a pm. :)x

Has anyone connected VCDS to a 8v?

i am thinking og retrofitting a cruise control but still need to get the VCDS.

I can supply vcds mate no worries, also could fit cruise if interested, drop me a PM if you like :)

Is there any/much info on exactly what settings you can tweak on the 8V using VCDS? I sold my old cable but might contemplate getting another if I can fiddle with things :)

I can ask RT, but there will be some yes & the more users who can provide dumps of the car & send to them, the quicker they can provide module label file updates :) so in that light I'd say its worthwhile, as they're usually fairly quick on updates tbh.

I still haven't worked out how the coming home lights work. They stay on for a far shorter period than they did on my 8P, which is annoying in itself, but quite often they don't seem to work at all, especially if I don't get out of the car immediately after turning the ignition off. These are the kinds of things I'd like to fiddle with but the cost of a VCDS cable is a bit steep just for "fiddling" really.

Yeah but fiddling at audi would cost the earth & be nowhere near as convenient :p

CH/LH timers could be adjusted on most modern audi's via dis or vcds, strange you dont have this option in mmi?

Very strange and I'm somewhat annoyed it's not there tbh.

... strange you dont have this option in mmi?

I'm a little amazed by this. On the A4 you can control lots of features via the MMI. Leaving home, coming home delay, how dark until the auto headlights activate, pitch of the parking sensors, the level of audio mute when reversing, switching on/off DRLs, auto locking, one click opening etc. Even as far as checking the oil level! One of my favourites is switching off that useless gear change suggestion in the DIS.

If these features aren't on the A3 it seems a bit of a backward step. After all, the A4 B8 is a 5 year old car now.

I'm a little amazed by this. On the A4 you can control lots of features via the MMI. Leaving home, coming home delay, how dark until the auto headlights activate, pitch of the parking sensors, the level of audio mute when reversing, switching on/off DRLs, auto locking, one click opening etc. Even as far as checking the oil level! One of my favourites is switching off that useless gear change suggestion in the DIS.

If these features aren't on the A3 it seems a bit of a backward step. After all, the A4 B8 is a 5 year old car now.

Perhaps Audi regard the A3 as one of their 'cheaper' models and don't include access so many options on the MMI system. If like Skoda, Audi made the Owner's Manual available to anyone online it would be possible to check up on this sort of thing before buying the car rather than finding out afterwards. I must admit I generally download the manual for almost everthing I buy before I go ahead mainly to find out exactly what it can do and what it cannot, especially for technology items. I have recently purchased a new Kindle Paperwhite and a Nexus 7 tablet and in both cases I could download the manual before hand and they are 'cheap' items when compared with a car.

TBH I find allot of technical hardware manuals online are far from complete & wrong in numerous different sectors, it ****** me of a bit as you buy based on the info you read, then find its incorrect.

I can supply vcds mate no worries, also could fit cruise if interested, drop me a PM if you like :)

Thanks for the offer but I live in denmark so it's not that easy to drop by.
Maybe you could help me with a short DIY on the coding?
I'm also retrofitting DSG paddles. A little help with the coding for that would also be a big help.

If you confirm you are using a genuine interface, then if I get some free time/have any info, then I would be happy to help.

I am. Got it from Netech.dk. The danish Ross-Tech dealer.
Thanks.

ive found most of what you mentioned above on my A3's MMI bar being able to adjust the CH/LH lights other than off or on:(

I have an A3 8V to play with tomorrow :)

Reactions: Spurrellian
ive found most of what you mentioned above on my A3's MMI bar being able to adjust the CH/LH lights other than off or on:(

Great. I'm a bit more comfortable with that. Strange to leave out the CH/LH delay though.

I'm assuming the A3 has a standard dipstick. I actually prefer the old fashioned way than checking oil through the MMI. :thumbsup:

I did some scans for RT then had to give the car back to the dealer, but I will get more access soon anyway :)

few other questions had been asked about VCDS in another thread , but as they had been asked here originally thought I pop this one to the top again !!

NHN was you able to find out what could be changed in the 8v ?

mark.

Not had access again atm, as been stacked up working on other cars, so I havnt got anything to report I'm afraid.

i can confirm currently we don't have access to the long coder helper (thingy) which means no needle sweep and also i cannot enable VIM as it says the security code is wrong :( (after using the generator!)

:(

Also tried vim but no go as we'll, had a good few hours playing with mine now doesn't seem to be much I can do

The problem is when you click long coder helper thingy it says ' current ecu not supported' ;(

ill hook mine up tomorrow and send an autoscan to Ross tech.

ill keep you posted.

Had a quick play today got my needle sweep working, looks great, also,activated lap timer and oil temp but ere is no data for oil temp :-( just shows --- and no button on mf wheel to start / stop lap timer so shows 0:00:00 all the time lol,

Got a nice needle sweep video but for some reason can't upload to YouTube from iPad? Keeps saying failed!

Lap timer and oil temp

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365254323.750504.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365254323.750504.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 665

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365254518.481345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365254518.481345.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 657
And enabled background lighting, just need to run wires from inboard power supply ecu to led fitted in foot wells now

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365254563.773946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365254563.773946.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 678
No I'm gunna charge £50 a punt and do it for you all lol

No course I will give me 10 minutes

Ps anybody know of a video server app like YouTube, can't upload to YouTube for some reason

Using VCDS as follows

17 - dash
07 - coding

Byte 1
Enable bit 0

Do it

You now have needle sweep :)