Xenon Headlamps

Sootchucker

Reaction score
Hi all. Might seem a strange question, but what's the make up of the Xenon headlamps of the new A3 ?

What I mean by this is I know there is a LED DRL running across the top and insides of the light structure, with the dipped / main beam assembly in the lens on the outside, but what's on the inside (in the area that looks like it's slatted) ?

I've seen some photos and videos where it looks like the inner portion only contain the amber indicator bulb, but others where it seems to light up white like a main beam or something ?

I mean this part (below)

Audi A3 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Apologies for the strange question.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's the indicator.

I've seen that picture in the brochure and the A3 lights don't look like that at all. I've got a feeling that pic is of the LED headlights which aren't available yet, or at least not in the UK.

On UK A3s with Xenons, the inner portion you mention contains the indicators and nothing else.

Those actually look like full LED lights rather than xenons at all. I'm probably wrong though.

Here's a larger look at the ones you posted:
audia3sportbacksline131.jpg

In other pics from the same batch it shows the DRL doubling up as indicators. Here's the lights that we see on the road cars:

image.img.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a breakdown of the R8 full LED light. Looks a lot like the A3 version you posted.

20090903145315448.jpg

I wonder if it will be possible to upgrade to the All-LED lights with the relevant coding.

Yeah as long as the ce board doesnt change its design, as in same connectors/pcbs/wiring path, then I reckon I could fit them.

Just been chatting to a friend of mine in Germany, and the full LED headlights (as per the photo in my first post above) are already available as an option for the 3 door and Sportback models at approx €700.000 (approx £600).

He tells me the main features over the Xenon headlamps are:

Separate High / Low Beam lenses (unlike the combined unit in the Bi Xenon lights)

LED Daytime running lights that double up as the indicators

Auto Brightness adaptation depending on where you are driving and what the ambient light levels are.

Consumes much less power than both Halogen and Xenon and doesn't require a high voltage ballast (as per the xenons).

Here's the full (goggle translate) translation from the German Price list he sent me (bit pigeon English, but think you can just about make it all out)

LED headlamps *
With the following scope in LED technology: low beam, high beam, combined daytime running lights, position and function in a single flashing light
Fibre optics, static cornering lights and all-weather light and highway light-

Function, all-weather light function to reduce glare from poor visibility (fog, rain or snow). the cornering complements the face illumination in tight bends or when turning, additional highway lights that will automatically double the range from a speed of about 110 km / h, LED technology allows daylight Illumination of the road for increased safety and comfort;

Minimal energy consumption, long service life and very good awareness by other road users, thanks to the striking Audi Lights graphics in day and night design. In addition, there are 3 different Headlight light distributions are available, which activate depending on the speed activated:
City light,
Motorway light and
Country light.

In addition, Audi connect enables navigation through the data-based Support vehicle using a control of these 3 light distributions the stored track data of the optional MMI navigation plus with MMI touch, in this configuration, additionally by the Crossing light with wide set front light and the travel mode
with GPS-based switching between right-and left-hand traffic, the adds convenient functions of the light assistance, including headlight Cleaning system and LED tail lights, additionally including Light-/Rain sensor and windscreen with Gray tinted strip at the top, to control the automatic headlights.

Here's a full set of images he sent to me showing the lights in their various configurations/

x632__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-004.jpg.pagespeed.ic.a6TV2cMYSV by Sootchucker, on Flickr

x631__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-003.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FGiB4zZhTl by Sootchucker, on Flickr

630__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-002 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

629__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-001 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

634__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-006 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

633__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-005 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Wonder if Audi UK will offer this some time later this year (might only be available in LHD form for the moment)?

Last edited:
Can't believe my stab in the dark was right!

Unfortunately I'm just disappointed now that I can't spec these:(

You see a great demonstration of the LED headlamps on the A3 at around 2:30 in this video! Looks pretty sweet, but I am conflicted whether to get them, as they are a rather expensive addition.

I wanted these, only problem was they weren't an option back when I ordered my car. Not a happy bunny, will be on the nxt one for sure.

We could always look at retrofitting them for you :)

I wanted these, only problem was they weren't an option back when I ordered my car. Not a happy bunny, will be on the nxt one for sure.
Plain LED's might be outdated by then...

:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: coolguy
Damn, feel ripped off now about my LED lights! I kid, best option I specced!