Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sootchucker
  • 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By Artimus

Thread: Xenon Headlamps

Neutral

Status

Xenon Headlamps

Hi all. Might seem a strange question, but what's the make up of the Xenon headlamps of the new A3 ?

What I mean by this is I know there is a LED DRL running across the top and insides of the light structure, with the dipped / main beam assembly in the lens on the outside, but what's on the inside (in the area that looks like it's slatted) ?

I've seen some photos and videos where it looks like the inner portion only contain the amber indicator bulb, but others where it seems to light up white like a main beam or something ?

I mean this part (below)

Audi A3 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Apologies for the strange question.
    Last edited by Sootchucker; 18th January 2013 at 16:29.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure that's the indicator.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    I've seen that picture in the brochure and the A3 lights don't look like that at all. I've got a feeling that pic is of the LED headlights which aren't available yet, or at least not in the UK.

On UK A3s with Xenons, the inner portion you mention contains the indicators and nothing else.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Those actually look like full LED lights rather than xenons at all. I'm probably wrong though.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys, that clears that up then

1st Gear

Status
    Here's a larger look at the ones you posted:

In other pics from the same batch it shows the DRL doubling up as indicators. Here's the lights that we see on the road cars:

Last edited by deci; 18th January 2013 at 19:34.

1st Gear

Status
    Here's a breakdown of the R8 full LED light. Looks a lot like the A3 version you posted.

1st Gear

Status
    I wonder if it will be possible to upgrade to the All-LED lights with the relevant coding.
    A1 | 1.4 TFSI | S-Line | Misano Red

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah as long as the ce board doesnt change its design, as in same connectors/pcbs/wiring path, then I reckon I could fit them.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Just been chatting to a friend of mine in Germany, and the full LED headlights (as per the photo in my first post above) are already available as an option for the 3 door and Sportback models at approx €700.000 (approx £600).

He tells me the main features over the Xenon headlamps are:

Separate High / Low Beam lenses (unlike the combined unit in the Bi Xenon lights)

LED Daytime running lights that double up as the indicators

Auto Brightness adaptation depending on where you are driving and what the ambient light levels are.

Consumes much less power than both Halogen and Xenon and doesn't require a high voltage ballast (as per the xenons).

Here's the full (goggle translate) translation from the German Price list he sent me (bit pigeon English, but think you can just about make it all out)

LED headlamps *
    With the following scope in LED technology: low beam, high beam, combined daytime running lights, position and function in a single flashing light
    Fibre optics, static cornering lights and all-weather light and highway light-

Function, all-weather light function to reduce glare from poor visibility (fog, rain or snow). the cornering complements the face illumination in tight bends or when turning, additional highway lights that will automatically double the range from a speed of about 110 km / h, LED technology allows daylight Illumination of the road for increased safety and comfort;

Minimal energy consumption, long service life and very good awareness by other road users, thanks to the striking Audi Lights graphics in day and night design. In addition, there are 3 different Headlight light distributions are available, which activate depending on the speed activated:
    City light,
    Motorway light and
    Country light.

In addition, Audi connect enables navigation through the data-based Support vehicle using a control of these 3 light distributions the stored track data of the optional MMI navigation plus with MMI touch, in this configuration, additionally by the Crossing light with wide set front light and the travel mode
    with GPS-based switching between right-and left-hand traffic, the adds convenient functions of the light assistance, including headlight Cleaning system and LED tail lights, additionally including Light-/Rain sensor and windscreen with Gray tinted strip at the top, to control the automatic headlights.

Here's a full set of images he sent to me showing the lights in their various configurations/

x632__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-004.jpg.pagespeed.ic.a6TV2cMYSV by Sootchucker, on Flickr

x631__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-003.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FGiB4zZhTl by Sootchucker, on Flickr

630__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-002 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

629__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-001 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

634__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-006 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

633__x_2013-audi-a3-sportsback-led-scheinwerfer-005 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Wonder if Audi UK will offer this some time later this year (might only be available in LHD form for the moment)?
    Last edited by Sootchucker; 25th January 2013 at 08:17.

Neutral

Status
    Just found a great Video on Youtube of the LEd headlights with an exploded view of the S3 lights (as we see in the photos), - from 27 Seconds onwards

Link here

2013 Audi LED Lighting Technology - YouTube
    Artimus likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Can't believe my stab in the dark was right!

Unfortunately I'm just disappointed now that I can't spec these

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sootchucker View Post
    I love technology, thats a great video tbh.
    Artimus likes this.

Neutral

Status
    You see a great demonstration of the LED headlamps on the A3 at around 2:30 in this video! Looks pretty sweet, but I am conflicted whether to get them, as they are a rather expensive addition.

1st Gear

Status
    I wanted these, only problem was they weren't an option back when I ordered my car. Not a happy bunny, will be on the nxt one for sure.
    A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S Tronic
    Brilliant Red, Acoustic parking, Adaptive/Xenons plus, Advanced Key, B&O, Comfort pack, Door mirrors, Interior light pack, Privacy Glass, S Line sports suspension, Tyre Pressure Monitor, SD SatNav
    Happy days

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    We could always look at retrofitting them for you

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    We could always look at retrofitting them for you
    I'd be interested. Along with a reverse camera?? That I would like
    Brilliant Red, Acoustic parking, Adaptive/Xenons plus, Advanced Key, B&O, Comfort pack, Door mirrors, Interior light pack, Privacy Glass, S Line sports suspension, Tyre Pressure Monitor, SD SatNav
    Happy days

Short Back

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richyboyp View Post
    I wanted these, only problem was they weren't an option back when I ordered my car. Not a happy bunny, will be on the nxt one for sure.
    Plain LED's might be outdated by then...

coolguy likes this.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1st Gear

Status
    Wow! I'm into that !!
    Happy days

1st Gear

Status
    WOW!!!
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED

4th Gear

Status
    Damn, feel ripped off now about my LED lights! I kid, best option I specced!

2nd Gear

Status
    Wow again, that's cool !
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.