Badger5AH Fabrications
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A3 real fuel consumption

1st Gear

Status
    2.0tdi sline SB 3500 miles on clock

mostly round town driving get between 40-50mpg led footed driving! About 450 miles to tank!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftj View Post
    One thing i did notice was that when i completely filled the tank to absolute max the trip computer said the range was 385 miles - that seems wrong to me and think i will probably get 500 plus miles out a tank. Not sure how it works this figure of 385 out but not really paying too much attention to it until it says im empty.
    Mine has behaved the same and gave 375 miles to empty on first refuel and 400 on second but miles to empty increases once you are actually on the road and using fuel. I would not worry about it as it should settle down to being more accurate once it learns your typical driving style and estimates accordingly, based on my last A3 this took about half a dozen tanks full.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.6tdi View Post
    I've recently changed from a 2.0tdi (8P) to a 1.6tdi (8v) and find it VERY noisy compared to the 2.0. It definately cannot be described as 'petrol like' in my experience to date. I'm also seeing only low 50s mpg after the first 500 miles. My previous 2.0 averaged about 55mpg over 3 years and 70k mostly motorway miles. I decided to go to the 1.6 as I was hoping to achieve around 60mpg.
    Hi 1.6TDi, I find it strange you think the 1.6TDi is noisy? I've come from a petrol S3 8P and now have a 1.6TDi 8V and find it amazingly quiet you can barely hear the engine under all but really hard acceleration. Before the S3 I had a 1.9TDIe A3 and the new 1.6TDi is light and day in terms of noise and refinement. Very smooth and quiet.. Still undecided on MPG, but its definitely no worse than the 1.9TDIe was... averaging about 54mpg over 800 miles from new just now.
    Last edited by gjonesy51; 20th September 2013 at 14:13.
    Audi A3 8V Sportback, 1.6TDi S-line, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack with ACC and parking system plus, chrome roof rails, interior light pack, fine napa leather, heated seats, SE suspension.

Reverse Gear

Status
    1.4 TFSI Cod 38mpg 6000km

Reverse Gear

Status
    1.4TSFI CoD stronic Sport with P7 tires.. 17,9km/l, 2200km

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpeter View Post
    1.4TSFI CoD stronic Sport with P7 tires.. 17,9km/l, 2200km
    ...50.9 MPG, not bad for a petrol!
    Audi A3 8V Sportback, 1.6TDi S-line, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack with ACC and parking system plus, chrome roof rails, interior light pack, fine napa leather, heated seats, SE suspension.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gjonesy51 View Post
    ...50.9 MPG, not bad for a petrol!
    if I get that from mine I will be chuffed, hoping to get mid 40's mpg if poss from C.O.D. When I get it.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

6th Gear

Status
    HI, to add my penny's worth. Actual mpg against real mpg is debated amongst many of the forums I frequent and there is probably no car that will get more than about 80% at best against the claimed figures and when it is said they are obtained on a rolling road, that is correct. They are also under conditions where the temperature in which the cars are tested are set to favour mpg and that the only road conditions simulated is wind resistance. The vehicles are not cold started neither do they have the CC or the CD player on. The steering cannot simulate the turning of the wheels, thus making for increased forward rolling resistance. There are plans for making the tests more like the real world but in truth this can never be perfect.
    This is how the cars are tested:
    "In the European Union, passenger vehicles are commonly tested using two drive cycles, and corresponding fuel economies are reported as 'urban' and 'extra-urban', in litres per 100 km and (in the UK) in miles per imperial gallon.
    The urban economy is measured using the test cycle known as ECE-15, first introduced in 1970 by EC Directive 70/220/EWG and finalized by EEC Directive 90/C81/01 in 1999. It simulates a 4,052 m (2.518 mile) urban trip at an average speed of 18.7 km/h (11.6 mph) and at a maximum speed of 50 km/h (31 mph).
    The extra-urban driving cycle or EUDC lasts 400 seconds (6 minutes 40 seconds) at an average speed 62.6 km/h (39 mph) and a top speed of 120 km/h (74.6 mph)".

Neutral

Status
    1.4 cod - 6000miles ave 44mpg, mainly town and motorway.

1st Gear

Status
    Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf Course), Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    brim to brim each week, mostly town driving, averaging 44, 1.4 TFSI with 2000 on the clock
    Now driving: A3 8V Sportback in Glacier White. 1.4 TFSI SE

Interior Light Pack
    Interior Aluminium Elements
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

Free DAB as standard as of April 2013 sure was!!
    Cheerio: 2.0 TDCI Zetec Mondeo (should have been a good car but hasn't )

Reverse Gear

Status
    Audi A3 1,4 TFSI CoD Ambition (Sport) man. - 18" 225/40
    Km/tank Liter Km/L
    649 42,44 15,3
    593 37,76 15,7
    707 40,45 17,5
    820 47,47 17,3
    848 47,71 17,8
    861 49,51 17,4
    811 50,37 16,1
    Last edited by DK_Titan; 23rd September 2013 at 09:15.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DK_Titan View Post
    Audi A3 1,4 TFSI CoD Ambition - 18" 225/40
    Km/tank Liter Km/L
    649 42,44 15,3
    593 37,76 15,7
    707 40,45 17,5
    820 47,47 17,3
    848 47,71 17,8
    861 49,51 17,4
    811 50,37 16,1
    thats about 47mpg by my calculation
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    thats about 47mpg by my calculation
    that's good, found out as much info as was around before I ordered my C.O.D. And 46 mpg seams to the long term average, which is pretty good considering its a petrol and decent performance. I only get 48 mpg on average for current Honda CRZ which is a 'sports hybrid' and A3 cod is quicker and more powerful.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

Reverse Gear

Status
    2.0 tdi sportback.
    I've now done 500 miles and total mpg is up to 50mpg and I'm consistently getting 55 mpg on my daily commute (30 miles each way).
    Dont drive particularly slowly and my commute includes quite a bit of stop/start traffic. Really happy with the results so far. Still on first full tank as well

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by gjonesy51 View Post
    Hi 1.6TDi, I find it strange you think the 1.6TDi is noisy? I've come from a petrol S3 8P and now have a 1.6TDi 8V and find it amazingly quiet you can barely hear the engine under all but really hard acceleration. Before the S3 I had a 1.9TDIe A3 and the new 1.6TDi is light and day in terms of noise and refinement. Very smooth and quiet.. Still undecided on MPG, but its definitely no worse than the 1.9TDIe was... averaging about 54mpg over 800 miles from new just now.
    I've also just moved to the Sportback 1.6 TDI 8V. I've previously had a Sportback 2.0 TDI 8P and an A4 B8 2.0 TDI. I also find it to be very quiet and smooth and certainly not noisy. It's quieter than the A4, and I really like the new model compared to the older 8P.

I've only done 400 miles, and so far the 1.6 TDI 8V is matching the economy that I was getting in the 2.0 TDI 8P. It's averaging mid 50's to low 60's depending on how many hills I need to go up!

I think for the first couple of thousand miles the engine will still probably be a bit tight, and it does take time for the true economy to come. The dealer also confirmed that I should see an increase in fuel economy over time.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

This is the best I've had on a run so far!

BUtGDqFCQAIFrHl.jpg

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by number3 View Post
    Just incase nobody believed me !! See below, was a fairly slow run in due to the weather , speed was probably around the 65 mark, less and more in places!
    How did you get your MPG display up, I'll be dammed if I can find the bleedin thing lol, all I can see is a 1/100km display

6th Gear

Status
    That's a setting in the MMI setup menu I think, which units to use
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    I think that's the "Eco" display, using the controls on the steering wheel scroll to the far left "onboard computer" screen, then press the menu button (next to the scroll wheel) and chose the "Eco" display.
    Then you can use the scroll wheel to get the different modes up.

At least I think that's the screen Stef is using. The setting in the MMI is to swap between Km's and Miles I think
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

3rd Gear

Status
    Oh by the way Stef WOW 79.1 that's impressive :D
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nardies View Post
    I'm still struggling with economy in my 2.0TDI, now with over 3,500 miles on the clock. After a 40 mile run today at 70mph in economy mode, I just about reached 50mpg, I've done the same in Comfort/Dynamic and managed less than 40mpg! Massively disappointing coming from a 140CR which easily achieved 60mpg on the same run!
    140CR sorry but what is a 140CR ?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by magura2002 View Post
    Ive got a A3 SB brand new 2ltr Diesel Manual, SE spec with 17inch multi spoke wheels.

Heres my fuel comsumpiton ive noticed in short

Motorways/long drives at 70mph 50-55mpg

Above 70mph I wont say what speed but take a guess averaged 40mpg

Short journeys country lanes and from main road to my house which is in the country side im averaging about 33mpg?? :-O thats on a 10 mile journey

Taking into consideration the above information im averaging about 40mpg
    Why wont you say what speed ? its important to the info who cares if your speeding i don't give a crap dose any body else ?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthus_1 View Post
    2.0tdi sline SB 3500 miles on clock

mostly round town driving get between 40-50mpg led footed driving! About 450 miles to tank!
    How much dose it cost you to fill your tank mate ?

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I think that's the "Eco" display, using the controls on the steering wheel scroll to the far left "onboard computer" screen, then press the menu button (next to the scroll wheel) and chose the "Eco" display.
    Then you can use the scroll wheel to get the different modes up.

At least I think that's the screen Stef is using. The setting in the MMI is to swap between Km's and Miles I think
    Yes, that is the setting I've got it on. I haven't actually had chance to play with all the other displays. I initially put it onto the Eco display as I was interested to see what I could get out of it in terms of MPG, as this was one of the reasons I went for the 1.6 TDI.

It's worth pointing out, this is simply the display on the MMI, not the Auto Drive Select setting. I have this set to Auto.

The 79 MPG was mainly on the flat or downhill, with a couple of smaller hills to go up. I was driving it as economically as I could though... In reality, you probably wouldn't drive like that all the time as you'd be late for every appointment!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dick wad View Post
    140CR sorry but what is a 140CR ?
    140 bhp Common Rail 2.0 TDI

Neutral

Status
    I know I'm from the dark side, but as we all share the same engines / gearboxes, thought I'd share my mpg from my 2 week old MK7 Golf GTD with the 184ps which I know a few of you guys are waiting for on your new A3's

Last Import-0 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

This has happened two times now (low to mid sixties) on my commute home, and bearing in mind the car only has 405 miles on it, I think that's pretty impressive. The run home includes also 10 minutes of stop start traffic trying to get to the motor way, followed by 9 miles of motorway (@ approx 75mph), followed by 5 miles of standard urban roads, traffic lights and roundabouts etc. Running the whole time in comfort mode (not Eco), and on my first fill up today , the car averaged 48.6 mpg, afainst the DIS reading of 50.1 mpg (so not too far out).
    TDI-line likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think I am seeing the same thing and on a full tank its showing 450miles but again this appears a little short.
    Unfortunately my issues have grown a bit. Having to have the front driver seat replaced because it squeaks and the drive side seatbelt adjuster rattles also.
    Not really what one expects with a new car !

1st Gear

Status
    My wife Constant gets 50MPG but does increase depending on traffic and speeds, I am quiet happy with 35-40 with a big bad boy grin...

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StefRobinson View Post
    I've also just moved to the Sportback 1.6 TDI 8V. I've previously had a Sportback 2.0 TDI 8P and an A4 B8 2.0 TDI. I also find it to be very quiet and smooth and certainly not noisy. It's quieter than the A4, and I really like the new model compared to the older 8P.

I've only done 400 miles, and so far the 1.6 TDI 8V is matching the economy that I was getting in the 2.0 TDI 8P. It's averaging mid 50's to low 60's depending on how many hills I need to go up!

I think for the first couple of thousand miles the engine will still probably be a bit tight, and it does take time for the true economy to come. The dealer also confirmed that I should see an increase in fuel economy over time.
    Got to say I'm regretting going to the 1.6tdi after my previous 2.0 tdi. After 6 months and 9000 miles I'm averaging 60mpg. Most of this is up and down the M6 and I usually stick to 70-75. My previous 8P 2.0tdi had averaged 56mpg over the same mileage. So I've got a 7% improvement in mpg for a 25% reduction in power! With improvements in the technology I'd expect the 8V 2.0tdi to achieve 60mpg on the same scenario.
    I did not expect to achieve anywhere near the published manufacturers mpg values but I did hope for around 65mpg on my usual long motorway runs.

2nd Gear

Status
    I don't think the Diesel engines have improved much since, I had a 2.2 ltr diesel civic s type gt, I brought nearly 8 years ago, and is the same performance , MPG and similar emissions as the 'New' 2.0 ltr Audi diesel, very good engines from Audi, but not much of an advance in my opinion from my old Honda engine (was a very good car so no shame in that, as engine cleaned up in the awards at the time)
    the petrols on the other hand are catching up fast, who would have through 8 years ago that a 1.4ltr. (C.O.D.) petrol would be quicker than the 2.0 ltr. Diesel On the same car ! And 80%+ of the mpg, 5% cheaper fuel, so unless you do very high mileage (well over 20000 per year for several years) is overall cheaper to buy / run (worked it all out on another thread afew weeks ago)
    Last edited by Fragup; 4th October 2013 at 19:35.

3rd Gear

Status
    1.8TFSI (180)

I drive almost exclusively in local town driving and starting to enjoy the power on tap a little more as I am up to 700 miles on the clock now.

But driving sensibly I can get 32mpg town driving, and on a 20 mile run yesterday I managed 45mpg.

I didn't buy the A3 for maximum fuel economy but for driving pleasure combining both comfort and fun, so compared to my old 4.7 V8 Jeep (my comfort car) that gave me 9mpg around town and 21mpg on a run so I am very happy .
    Not sure what my Subaru (my fun car) gave me as no fuel comp but it wasn't really any better than the jeep?

Neutral

Status
    1.4 CoD with 5570 miles.

Just done a trip from Essex to South Yorkshire mainly via the A1M.

150 mile journey @ average 65mph got me 53.3 mpg which I am really pleased with since my old A1 1.6 TDI used to get around 60 mpg.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sftdi View Post
    1.4 CoD with 5570 miles.

Just done a trip from Essex to South Yorkshire mainly via the A1M.

150 mile journey @ average 65mph got me 53.3 mpg which I am really pleased with since my old A1 1.6 TDI used to get around 60 mpg.
    I'm considering changing my order from 2.0 ltr 150 bhp derv to 1.4 cod. I was concerned that the 1.4 cod might feel a little flat can't get a test drive anywhere in my area. What do you think of the power. I drove a new 1.4 120bhp Golf and it felt flat.

5th Gear

Status
    I'm considering changing my order from 2.0 ltr 150 bhp derv to 1.4 cod. I was concerned that the 1.4 cod might feel a little flat can't get a test drive anywhere in my area. What do you think of the power. I drove a new 1.4 120bhp Golf and it felt flat.
    You will loose 90Nm of torque and an equivalent amount of grin factor and in gear fun. My last A3 was the 1.4 TFSI 125bhp and I was very happy with it but IMHO the 2.0 TDI leaves it standing.

6th Gear

Status
    Hi, goes without saying that a 2.0l diesel will have better midrange acceleration than a 1.4 petrol because of the increased torque. However I doubt if it would stand a chance against my own car, a remapped 1.6 ecoboost. I have driven the 2.0l diesel and found it has all the usual negative traits of any other diesel I have driven and it certainly isn't top of my list of engines.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    However I doubt if it would stand a chance against my own car, a remapped 1.6 ecoboost.
    Did not think the OP was wanting a comparison to your current car. Anyway for me the mid range acceleration when fully loaded on a motorway is the most important factor and is worth the extra cost IMHO

Neutral

Status
    Coming from a 1.6 TDI, where torque figures are identical to the CoD (I think), the CoD feels fine in comparison. I ve had test drives in 3 petrols - 122 / 140 / 180 and the CoD suits my requirements best in terms of efficiency and power. I do agree with you about the 122 being a bit flat. I think a lot depends on what you are used to in terms of your current car.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sftdi View Post
    Coming from a 1.6 TDI, where torque figures are identical to the CoD (I think), the CoD feels fine in comparison. I ve had test drives in 3 petrols - 122 / 140 / 180 and the CoD suits my requirements best in terms of efficiency and power. I do agree with you about the 122 being a bit flat. I think a lot depends on what you are used to in terms of your current car.
    I previously had a Golf Mk4 TDI 130bhp and loved it so much i kept it for 8 years which is probably what i will do with the Audi. That's why i went with the new Audi 150 tdi even though work is only ten mins away. I,ve never achieved decent mpg from a petrol car but looking at what the cod's are doing mpg its tempting. I'm currently driving a Nissan Micra 1.0 ltr i can't even get decent mpg out of that got it to use till my Audi arrives. I think it's the fact that petrol cars warm up quicker which is making me ponder the cod as the Golf took ages to warm up on winter mornings.

5th Gear

Status
    Can't comment on the drop in mpg in winter for the 2.0TDi yet but in my old 1.4TFSI (not COD) on my regular 10 mile, 15 minute commute I averaged just over 41mpg in summer and just under 38mpg in winter. Both engines will suffer mpg losses in the cold as both need to squirt relatively cold fuel through colder than in summer injectors into the combustion chamber in roughly speaking the same way.

I would be interested in any figures/experience anyone has on comparing winter to summer mpg for a 2.0TDI

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Can't comment on the drop in mpg in winter for the 2.0TDi yet but in my old 1.4TFSI (not COD) on my regular 10 mile, 15 minute commute I averaged just over 41mpg in summer and just under 38mpg in winter. Both engines will suffer mpg losses in the cold as both need to squirt relatively cold fuel through colder than in summer injectors into the combustion chamber in roughly speaking the same way.

I would be interested in any figures/experience anyone has on comparing winter to summer mpg for a 2.0TDI
    Me too

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast