JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

Bluetooth vs. iPod connection

Hi,

If I use Bluetooth to connect my Samsung phone to the A3, can I control the playlist/tracks through the steering wheel and also view the album pictures on the A3 screen? Or do I just get the sound transferred, but without any controls from the car?

Are there any benefits of connecting an iPod via USB to the car, vs. using Bluetooth?

Thanks,
    Seb
    Next: either a MK7 Golf GT DSG or a new Audi A3 S-tronic...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-tronic 140 Sport, 58 reg
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG 140 S-line, 05 reg

(test drove S3, 2.0 TFSI, 2.0 TDI 170)

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I'd expect sound quality would be better via a direct cable connection.

I believe bluetooth compresses data which could mean a detereriation in sound quality.I'm sure one of the current owners of the new A3 has already confirmed that he \ she noticed a diff in sound quality when using bluetooth was.
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

6th Gear

Status
    I've never actually tried connecting my iPod or iPhone via Bluetooth to see what the quality's like, maybe I'll give it a go.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    I've never actually tried connecting my iPod or iPhone via Bluetooth to see what the quality's like, maybe I'll give it a go.
    doesnt sound too bad, for a quick listen so to speak! And yes shows everything bar album art, But... Ill throw the SD card in the mix for storing and playing music, I'm still trying to convince vertigo it sounds better than any other connection, but his having none of it lol

Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

6th Gear

Status
    Haha, nothing sounds much good with a blown speaker!
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    But sound quality aside, do you get any benefits of connecting an iPod via USB to the car, vs. using Bluetooth, in term of controls?
    Through bluetooth, can you move within a playlist, and see track details, album photo etc, or do you have do use your mobile phone for controlling most of the playback?
    Next: either a MK7 Golf GT DSG or a new Audi A3 S-tronic...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-tronic 140 Sport, 58 reg
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG 140 S-line, 05 reg

(test drove S3, 2.0 TFSI, 2.0 TDI 170)

Neutral

Status
    You can use the controls. Don't think you can shuffle unless you set it on the ipod

Personally I would use the cable as you get more features instead of bluetooth

6th Gear

Status
    I'll try it sometime and let you know

2nd Gear

Status
    With bluetooth Scan forward and scan back, shows track name etc, no album art. If you want to change album have to use the iPod / iPhone ! Unless you skip all the way to end , then will go to next album. Would have thought same as Samsung

cabled , you get everything ! Don't have to touch the phone, Including art, if its not over 500x500!
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.