Auto dimming door mirrors

hittchy

Reaction score
I've got these on my A4 and they're superb. However, the new A3 price list only shows the dimming mirror on the driver's side. This seems a little pointless to me as surely you'd get dazzled through the passenger mirror.

Can anyone who has them confirm that it's just the driver's mirror that dims on the new A3?

I'm sure its possible on both, need to check wiring, but its probably only this.

You're correct, it's only the driver's mirror on the new A3, which I find really annoying and penny-pinching. In reality it's not too bad as most of the dazzle does come from the driver's side and less from the passengers but there are times when I miss it.

NHN, well the dimming mirror glass must be available for the passenger side as it'd be needed for left hand drive cars so I presume you could fit it. Whether the wiring is there or not is another question. The glass won't be cheap though - when I smashed a mirror on my old 8P, the replacement glass alone was £200.

well the dimming mirror glass must be available for the passenger side as it'd be needed for left hand drive cars

That was what I was getting at tbh mate :)

Cheers both for the replies. I can't understand Audi's logic there.

I drove home tonight with the auto-dimming switched off just to see what would give most glare. I'd feel really aggrieved if I still had glare through one mirror after spending the money. I came to the conclusion the dimming interior mirror is a 'must have', but side mirrors are 'nice to have'. I probably wouldn't miss them as much as I think.

In my current car I ordered them for the folding function rather than dimming. However, I turned off the auto-folding due to the constant creaking and lubrication needed. I just hope the A3 ones are a bit more resilient!

I've had the auto-folding switched on since I got the car 2.5 months and 2k miles ago and haven't had any problems yet. Time will tell but if they start creaking it'll go straight to the dealer to be fixed!

I'm hoping the A3 won't be as temperamental as the A4. Just been scanning through the B8 forums and there seem plenty of owners complaining about the issues I've had with mine. All previous Audis were great - the two 8Ps were faultless. This one lives on silicone spray for mirrors, door seals etc.

It's been back numerous times. They've lubricated, replaced, re-checked..... you just get sick of going back so just put up with it.

I just noticed you considered an A4 B8 when changing car..... I think you made the right decision there.