Availability of the new 1.4 COD 140bhp engine (to replace 2.0 TDI S-tronic)

see now I want them lol, though what I am disappointed in is that my fogs are standard lamps so look really yellow against the Xenons !

that may be my first job! Changing them to match !

Might be possible to activate them using VCDS and as Danny mentions you could get some nice LED bulbs to make them more white

Last edited:
The most pointless one I've seen is cornering lights , where the car puts on either the left or right fog light depending which way your turning. I say pointless I've never had it , though I have stopped a guy when getting out his car to tell him one of his fog lights was broken!!! Lol he looked at me like I was taking the **** lol

Is that similar to the adaptive Xenon then? in that it just turns the headlights, rather than flashing a fog light on?

I wasn't aware of the fog light one though thats funny lol. Similar to when cars where the lights don't go off immediately started appearing and everyone is shouting you to let you know you've left your lights on :p

Is that similar to the adaptive Xenon then? in that it just turns the headlights, rather than flashing a fog light on?

I wasn't aware of the fog light one though thats funny lol. Similar to when cars where the lights don't go off immediately started appearing and everyone is shouting you to let you know you've left your lights on :p

I think..... the adaptives with the optional cornering basically follow the road up and down (standard) and left and right around any corner ( optional )

the fog light one i think only comes on when you do a hard turn left or right.

Personally I find that xenon headlights on dip, because of their well controlled beams, are if fact better in fog than the halogen fog lights I have. This is of course will proper factory installed xenon headlights. I would image after-market xenon units installed in headlights designed for halogen bulbs would be a disaster in fog in particular.

This thread seems to have become a like and dislikes of the new A3 rather than the "Availability of the new 1.4COD (cash on delivery?) engine. Certainly at the moment Audi only offer the 2.0TDI-150 with an s-tronic gearbox in the Sport and S-Line model and not the SE I would be looking for.

Last edited:
With the Xenons, adaptive refers to the "following corners" ability and is optional. The up and down adjustment is auto-levelling and is a legal requirement.

Back on topic... :salute:

I tried this engine last weekend in the new Golf and was very impressed. You can't tell when the two cylinders deactivate apart from the 'Eco' sign on the dash. Very torquey and no perceptible lag. It was extremely smooth and quiet. Going back into the 150 diesel afterwards, felt quite 'agricultural' for a moment.

If it wasn't for my mileage, I'd probably be tempted back into a petrol engine.

The S-Tronic with stop-start drove me nuts and would take a bit of getting used to. It was impossible to creep out of busy junctions as it shut off as soon as you applied the brakes and came to a halt. Far better if it required a firmer push on the brake to activate (like Mercedes hill assist) so you could decide. However, it was very fast to re-start when pulling away.

Oh well, I contacted Audi by email about three days ago to ask about the availability of the 1.4 Tfsi cylinder-on-demand for the A3. They just called today, and said they checked with the product group, and don't expect it to be available to order before the summer (June at the earliest).

I guess they just lost a customer then, as I would like a new car delivered by the summer!

Having read many reviews on the new A3 and the new Golf, the new 1.4 Tfsi engine seems to be the best in term of performance, noise and economy, making buying the 2.0 TDI a bit pointless (unless driving a large number of miles), particularly as a company car given the bad BIK rate, and the 122 bhp 1.4 Tfsi irrelevant (probably higher consumption for less power), with a BIK rate 2% higher than the 140 bhp version. The new 2.0 TDI does not seem to fare well in term of real consumption either, seems to make start/stop quite bad and S-tronic gearbox does not seem to be smooth.

Given the excellent reviews and level of equipment of the Golf 7 1.4 Tsi GT DSG CoD, I don't think it will be a wrong choice anyway.
The only issue is that I will need a get a 5-door one, as VW is preventing UK buyers to get DSG on 3-door Golf. Those people from VW and Audi are just annoying with their artificial restrictions, specifically on UK buyers...

Last edited: