A few questions...

ChrisJL

Reaction score
Helloo - me again :)

A few questions if anyone who currently owns one could kindly answer for me please :)

Firstly I've not seen any pictures of under the bonnet, does anyone have any?. Most might not be interested in that but I'm always keen to see how it looks. The side reason for this, is I was wondering whether the bonnet lid is a gas lift like the A1 so it holds itself up in the air. Also is the battery in the A3 at the front of the car? In the A1 its in the boot and I have a charging adapter I like to fit to all my cars and I'm unable to do that in the A1 due to the battery location.

Second.. anyone with an Auto gear box, how does the car behave on a hill start? With or without the hill assist. I've never driven an automatic car before but I am tempted by the s-tronic gearbox. In older auto's my parents had many years ago, the car would always be trying to slowly creep forward so on hill starts you could just hold it on the brake for a moment then just pull off as the car would be trying to creep forward, so no roll back. However when sat at a junction for a long time you would have to put the car into neutral to stop it trying to creep forward else it would be trying to fight against the handbrake or brakes all the time. I wondered how the S-tronics work, do they sit at 0mph and wait for you to press accelerator or "do they want to go on their own" if that makes sense?

Final question minor question.. Does the instrument panel go dim when its getting dark? The A1 does this as a safety feature to make you put your lights on and then the instrument panel backlight comes back on again. I personally find it iritating when the car thinks its too dark when its not. But its a good feature non the less for the purpose it serves so I just wondered if the A3 has that as well.

Also an update on my choice of car.. Leaning towards petrol now, so looking at both current engines but I also believe theres a more powerful 1.4 comming out soonish....? with the ACT tech in it :) :)

Why not go down to your local Audi dealer, a salesmen will accommodate every single question you have! He will even let you test drive each variant. I do it when I'm bored I find used cars dealers more fun though..........

Yes the bonnet holds itself up in the air.
The battery is at the front.
Apparently, hill assist is now optional, even with an S-tronic gearbox. On the previous model, they had included hill assist with S-tronic, probably to protect the gear box.

In addition to the above reply, yes the instruments do the same dimming thing.

Regards the hill assist, it's probably now optional because, with the electric parking brake, the car will hold itself for a second or so anyway when you release the footbrake on a hill, so the hill assist isn't as necessary as before.