My A3 8V 1.8 TFSI 180

cotball

Reaction score
I went into Tamworth Audi a few weeks back looking to buy a used S3, Ended up walking out after purchasing the new shape 8V,

I ideally wanted to order one from the factory but there was roughly a 3-4 month wait at the time which was not possible as i needed a car A.S.A.P.

I bought the actual showroom car, It had just about every optional extra bar the s-line (annoying) The car had been specced with xenons and half leather / suede & the optional alloys so it wasn't a massive compromise.

Iv'e now covered just shy of 1500 miles and the car is superb, The design is far superior to my old 8P, The interior looks simple but is far more user friendly than the 8P and the quality / general feel is superb. I didn't like the way the car drove when i first picked it up, The s-tronic box felt jerky over the DSG but the more i drive it the smoother it becomes, I guess it just needs breaking in. I really dislike the stop start system but Iv'e now got into the habit of switching it off when i first get into the car so not a massive issue.

Insurance was very cheap considering I'm 20, Came out at just shy of £800 with full business use and 15k miles included! , In comparison my 182 trophy is £1400!

Pictures:
xcdvf047.jpg

xcdvf046.jpg

xcdvf048.jpg

xcdvf049.jpg

xcdvf050.jpg

Thanks - I thought it must be but it appears a lot lighter in your pictures than I remember from the example I saw in the showroom. Maybe it appeared darker because it was indoors but do you think that is as light in reality as it appears in the pictures here? It's just that I have ordered a Sportback in this colour and was hoping it might be darker....

Thanks - I thought it must be but it appears a lot lighter in your pictures than I remember from the example I saw in the showroom. Maybe it appeared darker because it was indoors but do you think that is as light in reality as it appears in the pictures here? It's just that I have ordered a Sportback in this colour and was hoping it might be darker....

My car looked dark in the showroom:
300009_4581104918025_596693876_n.jpg

I think my pictures make it look lighter than it is but it still looks lighter than it did in the showroom.

Okydoke - Thanks a lot for your views and especially for the photos.

Hope you enjoy the car - It sounds a peach from the spec...

Thanks mate,

You will love the car when you get it, The colour is great too. Loads of people have commented on it

Glad your enjoying it, looks good :)

I didn't like the way the car drove when i first picked it up, The s-tronic box felt jerky over the DSG but the more i drive it the smoother it becomes, I guess it just needs breaking

Some reviews also said the s tronic was jerky. I was hoping it was maybe only the 6 speed Quattro they were testing but seems you have the same thing. I don't see why this box would be any different to any others they have done. Lets hope it does smooth out.

Also I see they have changed the layout of the gearshift now; instead of p-r-n-d-s with +/- selected from the d position, there is a d/s with a little down arrow. Does this mean you toggle between d and s by moving the lever back, and can go to +/- from either spot? Hope that makes sense :)

Hey Cotball,

Nice to see someone who's gone for the 1.8 TFSI :) Glad you're enjoying it :)!

I'm guessing performance wise the car can take off in a heartbeat.

What sort of MPG are you getting with your type of journeys against what the predicted MPG figures are from Audi? Interested to see what kind of figures the 1.8 tfsi can get with the miles you've done so far.

Really like the look of the car by the way, those 18" wheels really look nice on it :)

Hi Cotball,
could you please give us some info on the actual mpg of the car? im between 1.4 tfsi COD and the one you bought and i could really use some real world info.

Hey Cotball,

Nice to see someone who's gone for the 1.8 TFSI :) Glad you're enjoying it :)!

I'm guessing performance wise the car can take off in a heartbeat.

What sort of MPG are you getting with your type of journeys against what the predicted MPG figures are from Audi? Interested to see what kind of figures the 1.8 tfsi can get with the miles you've done so far.

Really like the look of the car by the way, those 18" wheels really look nice on it :)

Hi Guys!

MPG wise on a 20 miles journey I see around 35-40mpg, I'm not a slow driver by any means either.

Shorter journey are around 30-33. The more miles I do though the better it becomes, When I first picked it up I was getting low 20's!

It's now covered 3500 miles.

Performance wise it's brilliant! , The engine is perfection IMO. I came from an 8p 2.0 tdi (170) so although the 1.8 is only 10bhp more it feels a hell of alot more and the power delivery is alot smoother across the rev range.

Thanks for the feedback , I have also ordered the 1,8 tfsi . 35-40mpg sounds great...

Thanks for the feedback , I have also ordered the 1,8 tfsi . 35-40mpg sounds great...
I'm sure you will see better than that too, I don't have the best commute and I'm normally in a rush most of the time!

I was just looking through them yesterday (Trying to gauge how much the new S3 is going to work out) & found that certain options were only available in the SE, not S-line, so there's a good chance you have a higher spec anyway...

Cant remember for sure, but I think the MMI was one thing the S-line cant have...