EM TuningChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ste_Nova

Thread: Handbrake

1st Gear

Status

Handbrake

Ok, can someone confirm... I don't have that Auto hill hold assist option, BUT, I'm convinced if you are pointing down a hill and put it in reverse, it DOES hold for a second and won't roll forward. Likewise, if you are facing up a hill, in first gear, it holds for a second and won't roll back. It does this without manually having to touch the Parking (hand) brake.

Can anyone confirm...?

Also, if you have have the parking brake on and try and reverse back, it won't let you as you need to release the parking brake manually. So it only auto releases when you drive forward, is that right?

Hope this all makes sense!
    A3 2.0 TDI S Line Daytona Grey with Comfort Pack and SD Sat Nav. LOVE IT !!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I currently have an A4 Avant with electronic brake but no hill hold assist. During the summer, I was pointing down a steep hill and had to reverse up hill. The brake released as soon as I began to lift the clutch pedal resulting in the car rolling forward towards the facing car!

After several attempts and several rolls forward, I had to give the car loads of gas in order to get moving backwards.....result was a new clutch!!

Tha'ts why I have ordered hill hold assist on my new A3 Sportback!

I guess it would be the same on the A3.

Brake releases automatically when reversing on my A4?
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

1st Gear

Status
    Wow, that sounds pretty nasty! No, I'm pretty sure mine is auto holding. Tonight I was facing down hill, holding the car with the brake pedal, put it in reverse, foot off the brake pedal and it didn't roll forward at all. I didn't touch the parking brake. Can someone else comment?

2nd Gear

Status
    mine holds for a few seconds when on a hill, but I’ve only noticed it when facing up hill, not been in the situation of facing down a steep hill yet. but as said def' holds it when facing up hill, without Handbrake on then taking foot of the brake, and I don’t have hold assist.

Mark

Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for confirming that I wasn't imagining it Number 3 !!!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    I currently have an A4 Avant with electronic brake but no hill hold assist. During the summer, I was pointing down a steep hill and had to reverse up hill. The brake released as soon as I began to lift the clutch pedal resulting in the car rolling forward towards the facing car!
    thats just lack of driving skill
    a6-chris likes this.
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

1st Gear

Status
    This is a feature on most cars now, it basically helps you stop rolling in the hill direction for 1-2 seconds then it will release the brake, it doesnt cause brake drag as if pulling away with handbrake on.
    I cannot comment on the A3 as I dont have it yet, but the Q5 providing the seatbelt is on the parking brake will release in any direction.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    thats just lack of driving skill
    The description is fact, nothing to do with skill
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    The description is fact, nothing to do with skill
    try driving an old car where the handbrake won't hold it at all on a hill
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

1st Gear

Status
    try driving an old car where the handbrake won't hold it at all on a hill
    I used to have an old Capri which developed a habit of the handbrake not releasing!

Had to carefully plan routes which avoided a hill start using the handbrake at junctions or traffic lights, otherwise would not be able to pull away!

Oh the joys of motoring! Better now but much more expensive!

5th Gear

Status
    just hold it on the foot brake and do a quick jump to the gas when the clutch bites
    VCDS in North Wales

2nd Gear

Status
    It wasn’t until I received a little “quick guide” through the post from Audi over Christmas that my frustration with the handbrake was alleviated,

seatbelt on, handbrake auto off !!

I was sure my handbrake was abusing me on purpose until I read that!! Sometimes it would release automatically when I tried to pull away, other times I’d have to press the handbrake button!!! Turns out it was whether my seatbelt was on or off…lol

Mark

Much to my amazement, the VW salesman explained exactly how the system worked with the seat belt connected when I had a look at the new Golf VII yesterday. The amazement was not to do with how the system worked, but more that the salesman knew about it and could explain it to me.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Much to my amazement, the VW salesman explained exactly how the system worked with the seat belt connected when I had a look at the new Golf VII yesterday. The amazement was not to do with how the system worked, but more that the salesman knew about it and could explain it to me.
    that is until they tweak it and don't tell anyone!! Lol

6th Gear

Status
    Had an interesting thought the other day. Do they still test you on hill starts on your driving test? If so, then are you allowed to take your test in a car with an electric handbrake? As hill starts, i.e. the skill of blending in the power as you blend out the handbrake, can't be tested, surely you shouldn't be allowed to take your test in a car without a manual handbrake?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

5th Gear

Status
    you should be made to have a test on a hill in a car with no handbreak
    VCDS in North Wales

1st Gear

Status
    you should be made to have a test on a hill in a car with no handbreak
    Offft that sounds... difficult!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo77 View Post
    Offft that sounds... difficult!!
    Nah, unless the hill is really steep, you can get from the footbrake to the accelerator fairly quickly if you know the car well and where the biting point is

The A3 does hold the brake for you for about a second though to allow you to do that without rolling back at all and without using the handbrake
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors