Hold Assist

Jeff777LUFC

Reaction score
Could somebody explain Audi Hold Assist?

"Hold assist. Holds the vehicle stationary for unlimited periods after stopping and prevents the vehicle rolling on hills and on gradients. The system is activated by push-button and allows the driver to drive away easily and comfortably without having to operate the electromechanical parking brake"

Sounds the same as the parking brake to me, unless you can put it on and leave it on. What are the differences and benefits?

I have ordered the Hold Assist as I understand it holds the car for longer on hills, as informed by my local Audi dealer.

I'm not that clear on exactly how it really differs from the electronic handbrake. However, after needing a new clutch on my current A4 after struggling to reverse up a steep slope on holiday in Cornwall during the summer, I thought a £90 investment was worth it.

If anyone can offer a better explanation how the hold assist functions, I would appreciate it!

I have ordered the Hold Assist as I understand it holds the car for longer on hills, as informed by my local Audi dealer.

I'm not that clear on exactly how it really differs from the electronic handbrake. However, after needing a new clutch on my current A4 after struggling to reverse up a steep slope on holiday in Cornwall during the summer, I thought a £90 investment was worth it.

If anyone can offer a better explanation how the hold assist functions, I would appreciate it!

Standard set up holds the car for a few seconds, as i found out few days back :)

mark

we have this feature on our work van ( different vehicle, same principle).

The Hill assist comes on when on a hill, and you can remove your foot from the break and it will still hold the breaks on. Once the bite point is good enough to move the vehicle hill assist lets go and your on your way.

my a1 the same. press brake for a few seconds on a hill and then if you take your foot off the car holds in place till you reach bite point then away you go! a3 description did seem a bit confusing to me tho. seemed to suggest u had to press a button for it to happen, which like was mentioned just sounds like an electromechanical brake to me :)

I have it on the passat.
By default it's off and you turn the system on by pressing the button. When you brake normally to a standstill, whether it's uphill/downhill or on the flat, the car will hold indefinately until you pull away.
I would assume the Audi system is the same

I have it on the passat.
By default it's off and you turn the system on by pressing the button. When you brake normally to a standstill, whether it's uphill/downhill or on the flat, the car will hold indefinately until you pull away.
I would assume the Audi system is the same

Thanks for this, starting to make sense now.

Ive ordered the s-tronic. I would imagine that stops you (at least from rolling backwards) automatically anyway, if only for a short period between brake and throttle.

Didnt order hold assist, was just wondering :)

Yeah it stops you rolling back but it also creeps forward if you release the brake. I almost always turn the hold assist on as I find it nice to be able to hold the car without braking while having your right foot perched on the throttle pedal ready to set off

Yeah it stops you rolling back but it also creeps forward if you release the brake. I almost always turn the hold assist on as I find it nice to be able to hold the car without braking while having your right foot perched on the throttle pedal ready to set off

The electronic parking brake works in a similar way except that it does not keep your brake lights shining into the face of the driver behind you. Again all you need to do once you've clicked it on, is just apply the throttle and away you go. No need to release the EPB.