Badger5Chris Nott

Thread: Hold Assist

Neutral

Status

Hold Assist

Could somebody explain Audi Hold Assist?

"Hold assist. Holds the vehicle stationary for unlimited periods after stopping and prevents the vehicle rolling on hills and on gradients. The system is activated by push-button and allows the driver to drive away easily and comfortably without having to operate the electromechanical parking brake"

Sounds the same as the parking brake to me, unless you can put it on and leave it on. What are the differences and benefits?
    A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI S-Line S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Alum Roof Rails, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Adaptive cruise, Int light pack, Audi sound, DAB, Folding mirrors, Reversable luggage mat, 5yr warranty.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have ordered the Hold Assist as I understand it holds the car for longer on hills, as informed by my local Audi dealer.

I'm not that clear on exactly how it really differs from the electronic handbrake. However, after needing a new clutch on my current A4 after struggling to reverse up a steep slope on holiday in Cornwall during the summer, I thought a £90 investment was worth it.

If anyone can offer a better explanation how the hold assist functions, I would appreciate it!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    I have ordered the Hold Assist as I understand it holds the car for longer on hills, as informed by my local Audi dealer.

I'm not that clear on exactly how it really differs from the electronic handbrake. However, after needing a new clutch on my current A4 after struggling to reverse up a steep slope on holiday in Cornwall during the summer, I thought a £90 investment was worth it.

If anyone can offer a better explanation how the hold assist functions, I would appreciate it!
    Standard set up holds the car for a few seconds, as i found out few days back

mark
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

Neutral

Status
    we have this feature on our work van ( different vehicle, same principle).

The Hill assist comes on when on a hill, and you can remove your foot from the break and it will still hold the breaks on. Once the bite point is good enough to move the vehicle hill assist lets go and your on your way.
    2011 (61) A3 Black Edition 170 tdi Quattro, Brilliant red, Sat-Nav , reverse sensors etc

2007 Honda CRF250

Neutral

Status
    my a1 the same. press brake for a few seconds on a hill and then if you take your foot off the car holds in place till you reach bite point then away you go! a3 description did seem a bit confusing to me tho. seemed to suggest u had to press a button for it to happen, which like was mentioned just sounds like an electromechanical brake to me

5th Gear

Status
    I have it on the passat.
    By default it's off and you turn the system on by pressing the button. When you brake normally to a standstill, whether it's uphill/downhill or on the flat, the car will hold indefinately until you pull away.
    I would assume the Audi system is the same
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.2 Ju View Post
    I have it on the passat.
    By default it's off and you turn the system on by pressing the button. When you brake normally to a standstill, whether it's uphill/downhill or on the flat, the car will hold indefinately until you pull away.
    I would assume the Audi system is the same
    Thanks for this, starting to make sense now.

Ive ordered the s-tronic. I would imagine that stops you (at least from rolling backwards) automatically anyway, if only for a short period between brake and throttle.

Didnt order hold assist, was just wondering
    A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI S-Line S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Alum Roof Rails, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Adaptive cruise, Int light pack, Audi sound, DAB, Folding mirrors, Reversable luggage mat, 5yr warranty.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah it stops you rolling back but it also creeps forward if you release the brake. I almost always turn the hold assist on as I find it nice to be able to hold the car without braking while having your right foot perched on the throttle pedal ready to set off
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've ordered this too.
    :-)
    sounds perfect for traffic light burnouts on a slope and would have been a must have in my younger days! :-)