8V Key

poli84

Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted but can someone please post a picture of their 8V key?
I think i read that they are still using a physical key...?

Pretty sure there's an 'advanced key' option, or something like that, that makes it push-to-start and auto lock etc, but the standard key should be the same as any other Audi.

057__scaled_600_004.jpg

That key is different to the one in the demo A3 I had. This is the key on my current A4 which is pushed into the slot in the dash to start/stop the car.

The A3 key flips out to reveal the metal key shaft which is inserted into the ignition then turned.

I thought that was a backward step for me so I went for the advanced key option!

Last edited:
This is what I am wondering about.
That key above is the new style Audi key but if the 8V uses the flip style physical key, is it no different to the 8P key?

If you get the advanced key, is the key different with no physical key (and the same as the key pictured above)?

Yeah, I think that's the advance key and the non-advance key is just the same as the 8P flip key.

Yeah, you just can't use it to start the car without the rest of it! Haha.

there is still a physical key in the advanced key... ;)
ab013001b.jpg
When you get to this stage you are in the S**t, as you will then remember the plastic key is at home to start the car. At least with the conventional key you will be able to open the door and run the car without any bother.
NOTE,
Make sure you use both keys regulary as I have had issues with keys losing memory on my A4 went back to the dealer and they rest both for me.

Reactions: hittchy
Just to clarify, the 8V key is the same flip-out one as the 8P was. Bit surprised they didn't go for the one pictured above which you push into a slot in the dash but can't say I'm bothered to be honest.

Advanced key didn't interest me as I'm far too OCD to trust the car to lock itself.

The advanced key doesn't work like that. The car doesn't lock its self, you press a button on the handle and the door locks, when you pull the handle the door unlocks but only if you are on the drivers side with the key.

The advanced key doesn't work like that. The car doesn't lock its self, you press a button on the handle and the door locks, when you pull the handle the door unlocks but only if you are on the drivers side with the key.

Mine will unlock when you touch the inside of any handle and lock when you touch the front side of the handle. Or you can use the fob. :)

Seriously? What a complete waste of time! It's far easier to press the fob button as you walk away from the car than to stand there, close the door then reach out and press a button on the handle.

Seriously? What a complete waste of time! It's far easier to press the fob button as you walk away from the car than to stand there, close the door then reach out and press a button on the handle.

Locking maybe, but coming into the car it's much better as all you have to do is put your hand on the handle like you're going to open the door and it'll unlock. Then you just hop in and press the start button and you're away without ever taking the keys out of your pocket.

Ok getting in is a little easier but getting out and locking sounds like a major pain to be honest.

Whenever I leave the car, I grab the key, open the door, get out, push the door to close and start walking away all in one fluid movement. When I hear the door slam I just press the button on the fob, which is in my hand in my pocket by then, without even looking back and I'm always a few paces from the car. Having to stop, close the door completely, then reach out and press the button sounds like a faff to me really.

if they provide the old key (which I find ridiculous !)
why do they put this picture on the brochure : (French brochure)
You can clearly see it's the same as the one from A4-A5 etc

cl%C3%A9%20Audi%20A3.png

After having both, give me the standard A3 key any day.

I had the above pictured key on my A4. Great gimmick at first, then it was a complete pain. I couldn't have any other keys on the key fob as they'd rattle and scratch against the dash, so I'd end up carrying two sets of keys!

Ok getting in is a little easier but getting out and locking sounds like a major pain to be honest.

Whenever I leave the car, I grab the key, open the door, get out, push the door to close and start walking away all in one fluid movement. When I hear the door slam I just press the button on the fob, which is in my hand in my pocket by then, without even looking back and I'm always a few paces from the car. Having to stop, close the door completely, then reach out and press the button sounds like a faff to me really.
I have keyless access with my BMW. The advantages are you don't have to ever get keys out of pocket or handbag. My wife can open the passenger door with her keys in her handbag without me having unlocked the car. No keys jangling in the ignition switch. Just use the handle to open the car and touch the handle to lock it - no grabbing of keys when you get out.

When I get home from work and finally have to take my keys out of my pocket walking up the drive I just touch the fob button to lock the car.

I wouldn't say it is a must have but is very convenient and my wife's car with a conventional key and ignition seems a bit old fashioned having had it.

I do like the advanced key on mine - didn't think I'd like it as much as I have done, but it is really convenient and you just don't have to do anything!

I have the advanced key and I really do like it. It's worth the price tag just to be able to press a button to start the car.

There are a few things that would be nice additions though:
1, to be able to unlock the car by touching the rear doors without touching either of the front doors.

2, to place the key in the boot and open the driver door. I could just throw my bag in the boot and away I go.

Don't wash the car with the key in your pocket, it keeps locking and unlocking with the water on the handles

I have had an A5 in the past and really liked keyfob style.

I hate the cheap flick out key type thing. And really disapointed that the A3 doesnt have the same key of more premium Audis. Its nice to have the key to press rather than a key to turn, felt a little smarter in the A5 than my current A1 but with the A3 higher level of interior it would have matched the rest of the cab spec.

The Advanced key was really tempting, but I had to trim down the spec at some point and the thing I really wanted was a button to press and not a key to turn..

I love the advanced key! From my point of view it's a lot of fun, the key is always in my pocket so in easy reach but it does add some drama and excitement to getting into the car and pressing the start button ;)

But it really comes into its own when the Mrs is driving, especially alone late at night! She never has the key to hand so is always left standing by the car fumbling around in her bag in the dark.
Now she can just walk up open the door and pop her handbag on the passenger seat, that alone makes it worth the money!

A more sexy looking key would have been nice though, and after 3 weeks of having it I am just getting used to not scratching around at the steering column looking for the keys when I get out lol ;)

I have to say getting out the car with the advanced key, hold assist and stop/start is a bit strange still because there's so little to do! Once you stop the hold assist comes on and the engine stops, you just press the button and get out, then touch the door handle - seems like you are missing something every time you do it!

Reactions: Daveotto
the 8V remote may look identical to the 8P but it probably has a different part number with different electronics inside. Most new VAG models have moved away from the glass id48 transponders & are now using 8E transponders which are mounted to the remote PCB.