Please, help me to decide!!!

sunscreemer

Back with the 4 rings
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not been on the forum for a while, been very much enjoying the last coming up to 3 years of A3 2.0TDI Quattro Black Edition 3dr ownership. It's the best all round car i've ever owned and I love it to bits, considering i've struggled to keep a car beyond 2 years for a long while.

Now, it's time to change and I need help. The desire to keep all wheel drive means my main consideration is the new A3 1.8TFSI Quattro as the running costs look reasonable considering the performance. Or, do I hold out and see what the new A3 2.0TDI Quattro is like? I'm told it will have 184BHP but not sure what economy is like but mainly purchase price. When I bought my current A3 it was great value compared to the 2.0TFSI Quattro, but the lower BHP diesel in the new version has gone up about £3k so I feel the new diesel Quattro is going to be on a par cost wise with the petrol.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have looked at other manufacturers - BMW 1 series (i'd regret rear wheel drive), Merc A-Class (interior quality not as good as A3 and do i want to lose quattro..). Not test driven anything yet, but I am to test drive the current A3 this weekend as i've not driven an s-tronic yet and the new Quattro's will only be available with this box.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I've been driving firstly an A4 Quattro and then an A6 Quattro for the last four years. I love the traction benefits etc, particularly in the winter months, but I do feel I've been paying a price for it in terms of fuel economy, although usually only 10-15%.

This week I've taken the plunge and ordered a 2.0TDI Sportback, front wheel drive, I am hoping that it will be fine and I won't miss the Quattro - I'm sure I will sometimes!

For me, the performance and excellent fuel economy of the 150PS 2.0 engine are sufficient. I'm not sure if this helps - I'd love a Quattro version, and perhaps I'll look into it next time, but presently, with the price of fuel and rising company car tax rates, it's the right choice.

I'd agree with you about the alternatives, personally I don't like the look of the 1 series, although it may be the driver's choice. I too couldn't live with rear wheel drive. A bit of snow and you end up abandoning it! The Merc is interesting but not for me and is getting a few poor reviews I think.

Hi,

I live in a fairly rural area and the trip to work on icy/wet days can be quite bad hence I would like to stick with the quattro. In fact I was looking at Tiguan's etc when I realised the A3 had quattro hence I have one now - i don't need or want the larger traditional 4x4 body and also it's more efficient. It's just looking like the balance will have shifted in value between the new petrol quattro and diesel version with the new model.

Cheers,

Mark

One thing to consider in the diesel vs petrol debate is how many miles you'll be doing.

The petrol engines in the new A3 seem to be very efficient. So if you combine that with petrol being a fair bit cheaper than diesel the petrol the difference might not be that big.

Then there's the extra expensive of the diesel car vs a petrol one.

Yeah, for private purchases (company cars are a different matter due to tax implications), diesels only really make sense if you'll be doing decent mileage in them. If you're most doing short trips then they're not actually that much more economical than petrols and the cars themselves and also the diesel costs more to start with.

The previous A3 quattro was much more economical diesel vs petrol, performance not THAT much different yet almost £3k less hence in my view was a no brainer. At that time I was estimating 14,000 miles pa. Now I estimate based on the 150BHP diesel that the diesel quattro may have a £1,500 premium over the petrol! I reckon i'm doing 12,000 miles pa so fuel & tax probably means less than £300 per year extra cost so unless residuals on a petrol are much less i'm quids in going for the petrol.

As as an aside, if I decide to keep my current car for a further 6 or 12 months does anyone know if there's anything scary cost wise that's likely to need doing up to say 45,000 miles?

Just keep the car you have. Campbeltown next year and a service and it should run and run. Why change and compromise. You said yourself you love the car.

Cam belt is 5 years or 75,000 miles isn't it???

Hi guys, i test drove a new A3 1.8TFSI today so I could drive one with the S-tronic gearbox for the first time. Must admit i was mightily impressed with this gearbox. The downside I think is that in the spec I want I don't think i can get the car for a good enough price. The dealer also had problems with their system recreating the online configuration so I will get a call tomorrow on that and a part-ex offer on my current car. Keeping the one I have is still an option if the part-ex is too low and new price too high!!

Been told that if ordered now an A3 1.8 TFSI Quattro will be build week 18, that's delivery end May/early June!!! Was expecting about 2 or 3 months earlier than that. Perhaps best to wait a few months to see if any discounts, special offers, special editions (new Black edition) etc...