Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: MMI cables

2nd Gear

Status
    Phone is paired, but bluethooth was off I think! Ill have another go with it tomorrow !

mark.
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by number3 View Post
    I finially got my updated cable, and I gotta say wished I hadn't bothered !!! The sound quality is pants compared to the SD card I've been using, really noticably so!!! Will be using this for charging only.

recomend everyone invest in an SD card for there music !!!!
    I too can tell a difference between the sound from my iPhone 5 and an SD card but I believe that's down to the fact I reduce the bit rate when transferring music to the phone to save space.

I have now decided to reduce the number of tracks on my iPhone, keeping them at the original bit rate and use a couple of SD cards for the rest of my music (I don't have the sat nav option so can load both slots).

Steve
    A3 Sport 8v 1.4 TFSI Monsoon Grey

2nd Gear

Status
    gotta say i trust in the Vertigo , but tried again and still convinced i could hear a difference with the Songs being played via an SD card. probably just in my head!!! lol, anyway im stuffed again as i changed to a iphone 5 over christmas so back to square one again lol.

Mark

1st Gear

Status
    I finally got my red cable. Yes it took that long. Anyway slightly annoyed as my Ipod Classic 80gb isn't compatible! :-(
    Audi A3 1.6 TDI S-Line Daytona Grey
    Ordered
    15 August 2012 with Heated Seats, Electric Lumber Support, Folding Wing Mirrors and Privacy Glass. Arrived 30 November 2012.

6th Gear

Status
    We had that problem when Dave came to listen to my B&O and tried his iPod Classic and it wouldn't work (his might even have been an iPod Video). Sorry, if I'd realised you were going to pair an iPod Classic with it then I'd have mentioned something sooner.
    suzannec likes this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    What about those of us running Android? I streamed my spotify library over Bluetooth when I test drove but I don't remember whether the artwork came across and I didn't have time to play around with using the car's controls to pause etc. Anyone know anything about how compatible non-iOS devices are, wired or otherwise?

P.S. I haven't ordered the Tech Pack.

1st Gear

Status
    One reason for a difference in sound from the SD and ipod could be the ipod software settings eg. soundcheck/compressed audio settings, EQ settings etc. Generally I set my ipod to 'flat' EQ as a rule and don't use any 'soundcheck' functions.The SD card's mp3s will be read as-are by the MMI system.

Audi Virgin

Status
    Two dumb audio questions (as my first audi has not arrived yet):
    1. Does red/blue cable charge iphone?
    2. Is there a max size of SD if I go that option?

Cheers
    Ben (only a few weeks to wait now)

6th Gear

Status
    1. Yes
    2. 64GB
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status

MMI cables

On a similar note

Should the dealer supply either blue or red cable upon delivery if the car or should I be asking to purchase one at pick up time?

If so should I specify blue or red? I don't have the Tech Pack but will be using an iPod and iPhone for music as well as SD Card.
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

Audi Virgin

Status
    Thanks Vertigo1. PjDali, not sure but presumed the cable was a seperate purchase accessory...happy if it's not! (I don't have the tech pack ordered either).

Neutral

Status
    I've been told by dealer that a USB and iPod cable will be supplied with the car.

Are the red collar cables standard issue now or should I specify this before delivery?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    1. Yes
    2. 64GB
    The brochure says that the standard MMI supports up to 2TB SDXC cards. I know anything above a 64gb card can be very expensive, but it looks as though you could go larger than 64gb (SDXC only!!)
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

Neutral

Status
    [QUOTE=faisal_16;1804217]I've been told by dealer that a USB and iPod cable will be supplied with the car.

Hmm, interesting. I see from my invoice that the dealer is charging me £54 for an "AMI cable pack - iPod/USB".

I'll have to check this out.

Reverse Gear

Status

MMI cables

Audi AG charge the dealer for the cable, the dealer charges you, I think £65 inclusive of vat. You can ask them to take it off the order or not take it when the car is delivered. Get them on eBay for £10.

2nd Gear

Status
    So will the Apple cable charge an iPhone, regardless of tech pack etc?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mack71 View Post
    Audi AG charge the dealer for the cable, the dealer charges you, I think £65 inclusive of vat. You can ask them to take it off the order or not take it when the car is delivered. Get them on eBay for £10.
    Yes, it's basically Audi's system to connect Apple devices to their MMI. USB cable does the same.

1st Gear

Status

Thumbs up

This red and blue cable thing was prevalent when I had my Audi A1 S Line back in 2011 with no cars showing album artwork on the MMI when connecting an iPod. Audi rectified this later that the year by updating the hardware and supplying red cables. Unfortunately they were not backward compatible so if you had an earlier vehicle you basically screwed. I seem to recall there was a way to increase the volume coming through the MMI cable in the radio settings...
    Anyhow someone try a recent iPod derivative through a red cable on the basic A3 setup and let us know the result. My 8V A3 order tomorrow may hang on this.
    PS. I got the cables free with my A1 so nobody should be paying for them!
    2013 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S Line Black Edition. Misano Red.
    Amplified Black Package. Comfort Package. Technology Package. Heated Seats.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/xxxcorps/media/photo1_zps1e5c9a3f.jpg.html

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    The brochure says that the standard MMI supports up to 2TB SDXC cards. I know anything above a 64gb card can be very expensive, but it looks as though you could go larger than 64gb (SDXC only!!)
    It's strange that the brochure mentions 2TB because the user manual says 64GB. God knows what the right answer is. In reality, it supports SDXC so will probably work with any size of card, they just state what the maximum size they've actually tested it at is, so even assuming they only tested up to 64GB when they wrote the manual, I'd still expect it to take larger cards in reality. I wouldn't be surprised to find 2TB cards worked but I'd also not be surprised if it was rather slow with that much data to search through.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by selar View Post
    What about those of us running Android? I streamed my spotify library over Bluetooth when I test drove but I don't remember whether the artwork came across and I didn't have time to play around with using the car's controls to pause etc. Anyone know anything about how compatible non-iOS devices are, wired or otherwise?

P.S. I haven't ordered the Tech Pack.
    Just following this up since no-one has replied yet - any Android users had a go yet? Particularly with Spotify?

Zig
    Neutral

Status
    Is the correct cable part number 4F0051510R identified as adaptor for iPod and iPhone?

If so do these tend to come with the vehicle or do you need to buy them?

1st Gear

Status
    They should come free with the vehicle; if yours doesn't then ask the question; why not? I noticed on 2 separate occasions with 2 separate dealerships that they conveniently ended up in the salesman's drawer!! Also they should be able to supply the red cable gratis if asked.
    2013 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S Line Black Edition. Misano Red.
    Amplified Black Package. Comfort Package. Technology Package. Heated Seats.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/xxxcorps/media/photo1_zps1e5c9a3f.jpg.html

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hello
    I am new to this forum having just taken delivery of my A3 SE, I have just sorted out the question of cables after a bit of research. My A3 came with a red grommet cable which did not work with my (getting on a bit) Ipod 80g classic, I have just picked up the cable with a blue grommet and it worked straight away.

Here is a list I found on another site which lists all versions of Ipod/Iphone the version is I believe the firmware on the Ipod/Iphone.

I hope this helps and I am sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

There are two versions of the iPod cable that can be used.

- 4F0 051 510 K (with blue marking) without Video function
    iPod mini (From Version 1.3.0)
    iPod nano
    iPod 4G (From Version 1.2.1), iPod 5G Video, iPod 6G classic
    iPod touch
    iPhone
    iPad (From Version 4.2.1)

- 4F0 051 510 R (with red marking) with Video function
    iPod nano 5G (From Version 1.0.2)
    iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G (From Version 3.0.0)
    iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS and 4G (From Version 3.0.0)
    iPad (From Version 4.2.1)

Thanks number3 I too noticed the low hum from the speakers and will have to go to the dealer to get the software update.

Neutral

Status
    edit ' now to try and see if I can get photos to show from my contacts !!!

Did you ever get manage this?

edit: Sorry, trying to work out how to quote!

Neutral

Status
    Jaikos fixed my art problem!! You can upload artwork onto multiple files and check its the right size. Very easy programme to use!

mark

edit ' now to try and see if I can get photos to show from my contacts !!!

Did you get the photo's sorted on the contacts? How?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenks108 View Post
    Did you get the photo's sorted on the contacts? How?
    Nope tried everything , could never get it to work! That's assuming that the little grey box is there to show a picture

Reverse Gear

Status
    I confirm that there is a real quality gap between the bluetooth and MMI cable connection. It is very easy to test it :

1. first, pair you iPhone with Bluetooth,
    2. then listen to you iPhone connected with the MMI cable (got the red one)
    3. at any moment switch to Bluetooth in the media source menu. The music will resume at the very same music part.

You will clearly perceive that you lost treble and bass.
    A3 8V 1.4 TFSI Glacier White

Neutral

Status
    Nope tried everything , could never get it to work! That's assuming that the little grey box is there to show a picture
    It does work, but only on a small subset of phones, i.e Blackberries, Nokia and some Samsung handsets.

On the SD Card vs iPhone quality isn't it true that any output goes via the iPhone DAC, whereas with the SD card, it's all directly through the DAC on the car?

1st Gear

Status
    Does anyone have any idea when the iPhone 5 cable is going to be released?

If I just use the adapter do I still get full functions?

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow DavieG87 On Twitter Visit DavieG87's Instagram Channel
    Im using the red cable with a 30 pin to lightning adapter on my iphone 5 and everything works fine

1st Gear

Status
    Ah that's ok then, I thought there was some features missing. Ill do that, cheers for the reply

Reverse Gear

Status
    Is album art supposed to work with both the SD navi and the tech pack? I was sort of under the impression that was one of the features you got for spending €1100 for the upgrade, but I would love to be wrong! I'm a bit OCD and think the album art thing is a great feature.

Also, does anyone know whether it is possible to connect one iPhone via the MMI cable for music and another via Bluetooth for everything else, or will that make the system explode? My plan is to leave my old iPhone in the car and use it just for music. I will have to wait and see if it is a better idea to just use an SD card. It would be fantastic to have my whole library (150 Gb or so) accessible!

Thanks,

GS

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gswearengin View Post
    Is album art supposed to work with both the SD navi and the tech pack? I was sort of under the impression that was one of the features you got for spending €1100 for the upgrade, but I would love to be wrong! I'm a bit OCD and think the album art thing is a great feature.

Also, does anyone know whether it is possible to connect one iPhone via the MMI cable for music and another via Bluetooth for everything else, or will that make the system explode? My plan is to leave my old iPhone in the car and use it just for music. I will have to wait and see if it is a better idea to just use an SD card. It would be fantastic to have my whole library (150 Gb or so) accessible!

Thanks,

GS
    Album art does work on the standard set-up. You don't need the Tech Pack.

Can't see a problem having two iPhones connected. I often have my iPhone connected via Bluetooth for calls and music plus my iPad 3G connected for music via the cable. All will work fine and are selectable through the MMI.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Album art does work on the standard set-up. You don't need the Tech Pack.

Can't see a problem having two iPhones connected. I often have my iPhone connected via Bluetooth for calls and music plus my iPad 3G connected for music via the cable. All will work fine and are selectable through the MMI.
    Wow where do you manage to fit the iPad? Lol
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    Wow where do you manage to fit the iPad? Lol
    I specced the Audi Phone Box Tardis Edition. As soon as I plug it in, the iPad seems to shrink down to iPod size and fits perfectly in the armrest. It's option code DRW on the Audi Configurator, although I'm not sure it's still available.

On a more serious note, it's a mini - just thrown onto the passenger seat. To be honest, I've only really used it in the car when I had new Spotify music on it which I couldn't be bothered to transfer onto my iPhone.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    I specced the Audi Phone Box Tardis Edition. As soon as I plug it in, the iPad seems to shrink down to iPod size and fits perfectly in the armrest. It's option code DRW on the Audi Configurator, although I'm not sure it's still available.

On a more serious note, it's a mini - just thrown onto the passenger seat. To be honest, I've only really used it in the car when I had new Spotify music on it which I couldn't be bothered to transfer onto my iPhone.
    He he now that would be a handy option
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12