Parking Sensors

tarnus

Reaction score
Hi guys, me again!

This is a question for those who have their new A3 already and have rear parking sensors installed! I've just had someone come and fit mine as they were left off the car for some reason when it was delivered, but they don't seem to be official audi parking sensors (if that makes sense). To my mind I should be able to control the volume/tone etc through the centre console (like I could on my previous A3) and when I reverse, the beep is coming from a speaking in the back left corner of my car, whereas I would've expected the beep to come out of the entire sound system!

If that makes sense, can anyone confirm whether these are the right sensors or whether I should kick up a fuss with the lease company? Failing that I'll pop along to an audi garage and get them to have a look

Those aren't OEM ones. The sound should not only come out of the speakers but it reduces the media/radio volume so you can heard it and this can all be controlled via the MMI.

Sounds like they've just stuck some aftermarket rubbish on there. I'd have a go at the lease company and say you want the original Audi ones retrofitted as per your order. They'll resist like hell as these kinds of things aren't normally fittable by the dealers and will cost a packet to do but it's their mistake and they can pay for it.

Incidentally, what do they look like? Are they integrated into the bumper properly like the Audi ones?

Yeah they look pretty much identical to the standard ones, fitted into the bumper etc. It's just the sound of the sensors is awful and really quiet. I got sick of having to turn down my radio in my old audi every time I wanted to reverse so I will definitely be kicking up a fuss with the lease company.

Not impressed at all!

Things like that are factory-only options and never intended to be retro-fitted by the dealer so be prepared for the lease company to tell you that and that nothing can be done. Don't accept it! Anything can be retro-fitted although it may cost a shedload. At the end of the day you have a contract with the lease company to provide a vehicle to a given spec. They've failed to do that and are obliged to put it right.

Who was the lease company out of interest?

Who was the lease company out of interest?

Wasn't going to say until after I'd spoken to them (which was just now) but seeing as they have p****d me right off I have no problem saying it was Lex

I spoke to our fleet account manager there who was really nice, but explained that even though they made the mistake (their order to the dealership didn't include the sensors for some reason) retrofitting the OEM part "didn't make commercial sense" as the part cost £300 as part of the order, but to retrofit would've been £1,000, but the dealership said they could fit the aftermarket parts for £300 so that's what they did. Nevermind the fact that THEY messed up my order and didn't deliver me the car I asked for, they are just trying to fix their mess in the cheapest way possible. Considering we're probably a decent sized customer for them I would've thought they would put some effort into keeping us happy, and assuming they don't mess up orders like this every day, take the one-off £700 hit to correct THEIR error!!

Anyway they are sending out someone to look at the parts as they don't offer anything like the same coverage as the audi sensors do - these don't even seem to pick up things near the corners, only directly behind me!

Wasn't going to say until after I'd spoken to them (which was just now) but seeing as they have p****d me right off I have no problem saying it was Lex

I spoke to our fleet account manager there who was really nice, but explained that even though they made the mistake (their order to the dealership didn't include the sensors for some reason) retrofitting the OEM part "didn't make commercial sense" as the part cost £300 as part of the order, but to retrofit would've been £1,000, but the dealership said they could fit the aftermarket parts for £300 so that's what they did. Nevermind the fact that THEY messed up my order and didn't deliver me the car I asked for, they are just trying to fix their mess in the cheapest way possible. Considering we're probably a decent sized customer for them I would've thought they would put some effort into keeping us happy, and assuming they don't mess up orders like this every day, take the one-off £700 hit to correct THEIR error!!

Anyway they are sending out someone to look at the parts as they don't offer anything like the same coverage as the audi sensors do - these don't even seem to pick up things near the corners, only directly behind me!

thanks for the info.

I am also in talks with Lex to get my new sportback ordered. So will keep this in mind. Since in am going for the comfort pack it should be all included.
Its a shame they are trying to cut corners, not professional at all. They should at least compensate you.

They have offered me some vouchers as way of compensation, but in all honesty I would rather have the car I ordered! The woman who looks after our company fleet is away until next week so will discuss it with her when she's back but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be stuck with these awful sensors.

They have offered me some vouchers as way of compensation, but in all honesty I would rather have the car I ordered! The woman who looks after our company fleet is away until next week so will discuss it with her when she's back but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be stuck with these awful sensors.

I do agree with you, you should get what you ordered.

I'd tell them that you have a contract for a vehicle with a certain spec and they've broken that contract by not supplying it. I'm sure you'd be within your rights to insist they either fit the original Audi sensors as originally requested or replace the entire car with another one with the correct spec, and provide you with alternative transport in the meantime.

Of course they'll do anything and everything they can to wriggle out of it but I'm sure you'd be on sound legal footing if you challenged them. They can wail all they like about the £1000 to fit the OEM sensors but frankly, who gives a toss? It's their mistake and they should correct it. Perhaps if they were forced to fix all such problems "properly" it'd make them a bit more vigilant about getting orders right in the first place.

Rant over, sorry for that, just the arrogance of companies like this makes my blood boil and I feel for your situation.

I'd tell them that you have a contract for a vehicle with a certain spec and they've broken that contract by not supplying it. I'm sure you'd be within your rights to insist they either fit the original Audi sensors as originally requested or replace the entire car with another one with the correct spec, and provide you with alternative transport in the meantime.

Of course they'll do anything and everything they can to wriggle out of it but I'm sure you'd be on sound legal footing if you challenged them. They can wail all they like about the £1000 to fit the OEM sensors but frankly, who gives a toss? It's their mistake and they should correct it. Perhaps if they were forced to fix all such problems "properly" it'd make them a bit more vigilant about getting orders right in the first place.

Rant over, sorry for that, just the arrogance of companies like this makes my blood boil and I feel for your situation.

I know exactly where you're coming from. The woman who runs out company car scheme doesn't really care about little things like this, thankfully our Managing Director does, who I just spoke to and his response was "their mistake, they can ******* well pay for it. Send me the details" :)

Fingers crossed I'll get this sorted soon! It does infuriate me the way they acted on this, going ahead with a cheap fix without consulting us. It's the equivalent of them forgetting to order leather seats and sending me some leather seat covers to rectify it!!