New 1.6TDI S-Line Sportback available to order?

daveb99

Reaction score
Well, I was about to order my 2.0TDI S-Line Sportback, and noticed that the 1.6TDI is now available as well, and it's also in the Configurator on the website.

It's in the new November brochure too:

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/a3-new.pdf

Any views on the 1.6 v the 2.0 ? Clearly it is over 10% more economical, but also over 2 seconds slower to 60mph - is it perhaps a bit sluggish?

Yeah I worried that the 1.6 wouldn't be quite as nippy as I wanted, although I do have a lead foot (two of my A3s have lapped the Nurburgring) so I stuck with the 2.0TDI. My last two A3s have been 170PS engines so I was taking a bit of a drop to 150PS as it was with the 2.0TDI.

I'm sure the 1.6 would be fine 95% of the time but, at times, could be a little sluggish in the Sportback when loaded up with two adults, kids & luggage etc.

My thinking exactly.....probably OK for the commute, not so good when loaded up with the kids and all the accompanying junk you take on holidays!

It will no doubt be perfect for some, but for me I think I will stick with the the 2.0. It will cost me £45 per month more than the 1.6, due to the higher company car tax and slightly worse fuel consumption, but I think it's worth it - knowing it has more torque etc especially when fully loaded.