B&O Sound v Audi Sound system

daveb99

Reaction score
I'm trying to finalise my spec for my 2.0TDI S-Line Sportback.

One of the things which is adding a fair bit of cost (as you'd expect!) is the B&O Sound system.

I'm struggling to decide whether to go for the B&O option, or just the Audi Sound system upgrade (10 speakers). Not sure I need the advanced nature of the B&O system (Dolby 5.1, compensates for Road noise etc) but equally I want to make sure whatever I get has the power and clarity to match the BOSE system in my A6 currently.

Does anyone have any views on this - I'm not an audiophile, but do appreciate a good quality sound. I'd hate to go for the cheaper option and regret it - but I also don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Has anyone had any experience of testing both? It's very difficult to compare these things with so few A3s available to look at in the dealers etc presently.

I might take a CD into a couple of dealers (I know one with an A3 in the showroom with B&O) and shut the doors and check it out! Given that CDs are uncompressed audio and all that.

Any views / experience of this would be most welcome..!

I'll be interested in any replies also.

I've a 2010 A3 Sportback which I added the Sound pack which includes Bose upgrade and really glad I did. It's been great....honestly reckon it was worth every penny.

I have spent a reasonable amount of money over the years buying hifi kit for my flat and reckon I've a decent ear for sound but in a car so much of the ambience and subtly of music is lost because of road noise and wind noise so as long as bass is controlled and not boomy and the treble is crisp and clear I reckon in a car I'm happy. I can imagine in a car costing a lot more than an A3 with serious sound proofing an expensive sound system would shine. I maybe making a bold assumption here so def' curious as to others opinions.

I've included the Audi Sound System onto my new A3 SB order as I understood it was essentially the Bose system without the branding as B&O is obviously the premier kit Audi wish to sell.

Always felt listening to in car sound system sounds great in a showroom but once on the road it's a totally different experience.

If you're anywhere near Birmingham, you're welcome to pop round and try the B&O system in mine :)

If you're anywhere near Birmingham, you're welcome to pop round and try the B&O system in mine :)

Thanks very much for the offer - I work near the NEC, as it happens.....so that would be very useful if we can maybe sort something out. I haven't seen one with the Technology Pack fitted either (nor in Daytona Grey) so it would kill many birds with one stone. I think there are a couple of other options you have which I would be adding as well.

Feel free to send me a PM to arrange something if you have the time, really appreciate this. Clearly as a company car you have it for 3 years (in my case) so its important to get everything right. There's a chance I might buy it off the lease company after 3 years too, so it's even more important!

Ok no probs, will drop you a PM - I'm not far from the NEC actually.

I'm trying to finalise my spec for my 2.0TDI S-Line Sportback.

One of the things which is adding a fair bit of cost (as you'd expect!) is the B&O Sound system.

I'm struggling to decide whether to go for the B&O option, or just the Audi Sound system upgrade (10 speakers). Not sure I need the advanced nature of the B&O system (Dolby 5.1, compensates for Road noise etc) but equally I want to make sure whatever I get has the power and clarity to match the BOSE system in my A6 currently.

Does anyone have any views on this - I'm not an audiophile, but do appreciate a good quality sound. I'd hate to go for the cheaper option and regret it - but I also don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Has anyone had any experience of testing both? It's very difficult to compare these things with so few A3s available to look at in the dealers etc presently.

I might take a CD into a couple of dealers (I know one with an A3 in the showroom with B&O) and shut the doors and check it out! Given that CDs are uncompressed audio and all that.

Any views / experience of this would be most welcome..!

I had the same decision to make when ordering mine. My previous A3 had the Bose sound system so I was aprehensive about opting for the Audi Sound system rather than the B & O. I really could not justify spending £750 on the B & O system so opted for the Audi upgrade.

After one week in my new 8V A3 I can say, that with the bass and sub woofer settings adjusted and the trebble notched up ever so slightly, this sound is system is on par, if not exceeding the Bose sound system in my old A3.

The clarity is crisp and the bass is thumping, and I'm £500 better off. Right decision made.

Hope this helps.

Quite glad to read your post Audi Dan man on the new A3 Audi Sound System as I doubt I'd have been able to justify the extra monies to get the B&O system.....or my wife may have threatened to divorce me if I had insisted we get it :shrug:

I def think the Bose sound system in my current car is bar the best sounding kit I've heard in any car I've owned so well chuffed if the new A3 - Audi Sound System equates to it :cool:

No doubt if I heard the B&O system I'd be left :drool: but I'm well chuffed you've posted your experiences on the new car :icon_thumright:

I was just thinking about this the other day.

I didn't know the 10 speaker option was unbranded Bose..Is this actually true..?

Ok no probs, will drop you a PM - I'm not far from the NEC actually.

oohhh i live in Birmingham too, maybe i could tag along....?

I've made plans to meet up with Dave tomorrow so he can have a look at the B&O sound & Tech pack plus see a car in Daytona Grey.

Might get a bit "busy" if you're both there at the same time but you're welcome to pop over sometime yourself if you want to - am in the Solihull/Shirley area :)

I've made plans to meet up with Dave tomorrow so he can have a look at the B&O sound & Tech pack plus see a car in Daytona Grey.

Might get a bit "busy" if you're both there at the same time but you're welcome to pop over sometime yourself if you want to - am in the Solihull/Shirley area :)

Cool, thanks a lot dude, i cant do Tuesday evenings. Maybe some time over the weekend.... not sure when is best. send me a pm.

Well I think Dave was suitably impressed :)

MiT: Do you want to sort something out for the weekend? Whereabouts are you exactly?

I was properly blown away......not even considering the lesser option now, B&O all the way.

It was the demo of the Pod Race on DVD that sealed it. I swear the car park shook...

Thanks again Toby, it has been a huge help, especially seeing an S-Line in Daytona grey too.

I'm ready to place my order tomorrow now ;-)

Glad it was useful and yes, that Pod Race scene is amazing :)

The other expensive option I had which I completely forgot to mention was what we were sitting on - the perforated alcantara/leather seats! I think you said you were going full leather though, unless I'm thinking of someone else?

MiT: Do you want to sort something out for the weekend? Whereabouts are you exactly?

Hi Vertigo,

Am currently in the process of ordering my car, inc the B&O system plus a few other options, at the moment i am £1.08 over my limit, but they have charged the full price for tech pack, instead of the discount of £1000 (which is a saving of £495), so if they sort the price out, i should be able to order the B&O, comfort pack, tech pack & colour. That would mean i dont need to come and visit you and check out the sound system.

Either way i will keep you updated during the week, and may come and check the colour out, since i might be able to get the S-line :)

(I live near M5 J1)

once again thanks very much for the offer, not may people would have offered.

Ah ok no worries - you replied here just as I was PM'ing you! :)

I'm actually popping down to Gloucester on Saturday so, if you wanted or needed to meet up, we could perhaps find somewhere convenient for both of us, around the M5/M42 interchange perhaps. Just drop me a line if you're interested :)

Toby - yep that was me, leather seats due to the kids ;-)

MiT - Lex Autolease, by any chance? I've had the same problem - they put the Technology pack price up to £1495 on Monday, our help desk has logged a call with their pricing team to get it sorted. In the meantime I've had confirmation that the £1000 offer is valid until end of Feb on the Sportback, so it must be an error on Lex's part.

Toby - yep that was me, leather seats due to the kids ;-)

MiT - Lex Autolease, by any chance? I've had the same problem - they put the Technology pack price up to £1495 on Monday, our help desk has logged a call with their pricing team to get it sorted. In the meantime I've had confirmation that the £1000 offer is valid until end of Feb on the Sportback, so it must be an error on Lex's part.

Yeap spot on mate.
I spoke to my contact today, she said she would log a call too. Thing is when i log on from there website i cant choose the S-line, but when emailed me, she gave me the choice, so i said "YEAH!". Hope fully i can get this, i will be over the moon. :)