7 month lead time?

NOS

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm new here. The missus recently had new A3 on a 4 day demo, followed by a 1 series for the same duration, so she could choose her company car. The A3 was a 3-door 1.4 S-Line in white, but I loved it and was surprised how pokey it was. Reminded me of my old TT in some ways - even smelled the same!

Anyway, I convinced her to get the A3, and she went for a white 3 door S-Line, but picked the 1.6TDi for tax / financial reasons. Order has now been placed, but she's been given an estimated delivery date (from the fleet company) of mid June 2013! That's 7 months away. Endless to say, she's not too impressed with me....

I've read there's a delay with S-Line suspension, but as she's going to be doing high miles, we kept the suspension standard. Most people here seem to be getting cars 4 months or so after placing orders. Any ideas why we're looking at a 7 month wait?

On top of the S-Line spec, she's only gone for comfort pack, interior lighting pack, upgraded (10) speakers and electric lumbar support.

Thanks.

There's no way it should be taking that long!

Mine's an S-Line with the standard sport suspension and had more options than that and was two months from order to the dealer, although I couldn't collect it for other reasons.

This could be a dealer issue. From what I understand, each dealer is allocated a certain number of cars from the factory. If the dealer that the finance company is using to provision their cars is already at their allotted allocation for a while, then perhaps they can't supply the car until then.

We're a small company with a limited number of company cars so we jump around between brokers and finance companies with each car to find the best deals but, if hers is a larger company then they may have a set policy in place regards which companies they use and not be prepared to budge.

Thanks for the response. The fleet company is GE, and its a sole supplier for her employer, so there's no room to shop around.

I guess she'll have to go back and find out why the lead time is so long, but now the order is has been placed it doesn't look like she can cancel either. We did go into a local dealer the week before she ordered and he said we'd be looking at week 14 (Apr) next year for an S-Line, which we thought would be ok (spring time etc), but June is taking the mickey!

Let's see what they say....

This could be a dealer issue. From what I understand, each dealer is allocated a certain number of cars from the factory. If the dealer that the finance company is using to provision their cars is already at their allotted allocation for a while, then perhaps they can't supply the car until then.

That could explain what my dealer was saying when he was a bit cagey about how long mine would be. He said something like 'when I get my new quota in January I'll have a better idea'. Almost like it wouldn't get ordered until then.

My 1.6tdi sport was ordered with GE end of September using a dealer in Newbury. There predicted date is end of January

Spoke to delear and I have an unconfirmed build date of 4 :crying:

My order for 1.6TDI s-line got placed on 15 August 2012. I'm being told early January although it hasn't got a build week yet. May well call for an update tomorrow.

When I ordered my current A3 SB, I ordered it mid January 2010 and it was sitting at the dealer late March and I recall being given a build date fairly early on after the order went in, I appreciate things may be different pre-ordering cars which had not been launched but how soon should a build week be known for a factory order?

I'm really not expecting my new A3 Sportback until mid\late March but reading this thread I must admit I'm curious when I should be thinking about asking the dealer for an update.....any thoughts?

Well my missus spoke to the dealer, and it seems there's nothing they can do and she's looking at a 7 month wait. Apparently the order can't be cancelled now either otherwise the fleet company will charge her employer. Not good. And there are no options we've specced that have made the delay this long

Apparently once the order has advanced further down the line, they'll be able to give a more accurate date, but they said we should assume a June delivery for now.

Probably should have let her order the 1 series after all. I used to work on the IT systems for BMW in Bracknell and even then (2003-2005) the system would give you a pretty accurate forecast of a delivery date. Not sure sure what VW/Audi have done with their money....

I'd double check about cancelling the order. The dealer could re-sell that slot one hundred times over so the lease company just need to agree it. I suppose they tell you they will charge the employer to put people off changing their mind.