Impressions after two weeks

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Ok so, as I've had my car for a couple of weeks now, I thought I'd post my impressions so far, both good and bad.

Exterior design

The new shape isn't to everyone's taste it would seem and I can understand why. Personally I love the front end and what they've done with the new grille, spoiler and lights. The LED DRLs look good and a lot more modern than the old style of separate LEDs on the 8P, which was starting to look a little dated I thought. What I'm not so keen on is the back. It does look a bit like a larger A1 from this angle and, at the moment, I actually preferred the back end of the old 8P to the new one. Maybe it'll grow on me. I do like the new LED rear lights though.

Interior design

The interior design of Audis is one of the reasons I love them - they're just nice places to be. Overall I like the new interior and dashboard in the main but with some reservations. I like the new dials and the larger, colour DIS. I like having the MMI controls in the centre console rather than on the dash, although I still find myself reaching forward to the dash sometimes - bit more training required. What I don't like are the lack of storage space. The very useful centre cubby hole ahead of the gearstick is gone in favour of two useless cup holders. I never have drinks in the car so they're pointless to me. The door pockets are also much smaller than before.

I have the optional perforated leather/alcantara seats and they do look and feel lovely. The white stitching also looks the part and extends throughout the interior. They do feel a bit harder to sit on/in than the sports seats in my old 8P but it's marginal and could just be because they're new and need a bit of bedding in.

The electric parking brake takes a bit of getting used to but works well. I quite like the way it releases automatically and this is actually making me use it more. I normally don't bother with the handbrake when stopped momentarily in traffic, and will hold it on the foot brake if there's a slight incline. Now I find it very easy to just flick the brake on with a finger so I can rest my foot, then just pull away when needed.

Another thing I'm bit a 'iffy' about is the use of LED lights everywhere inside the car. I have the tech pack, interior light pack and B&O sound and I think all of these contribute some of the lights. The main interior light is now LED which leads to a much 'harsher' or 'colder' light than before, which I actually don't like as much and don't feel is as welcoming. The use of LED light strips for things like the MMI wheel and front door speakers is also over the top if you ask me and it feels like you're driving around in something from Tron at times.

Technology

As I said I have the tech pack. The new popup screen is lovely and noticably larger than the one of old. The way it pops up out of the dash is never going to get old either. The MMI controls work well and the system is very fast and responsive. I won't go into loads of detail but I've been impressed with the much improved functionality over the RNS-E in my old 8P, in all areas. Navigation, Media & Telephone functions are all vastly better than before and the voice control is superb and very useful. The DAB radio is also very good although hardly a necessity. The quality isn't really any different from a decent FM signal so it's only really of use for receiving DAB stations which aren't on FM.

One thing worth noting is that I have the dimming mirrors option but this only now includes the driver's mirror, not the passengers. I'm actually very annoyed by this as I feel it's penny-pinching from Audi, and on an optional feature at that.

Dynamics & Refinement

I'm still running it in so haven't given it much hell yet but the performance seems pretty decent so far. The engine isn't actually as smooth as the 170CR in my last car I must say, but it's still perfectly acceptable. The ride is much improved over my old S-Line (I have the standard Sport suspension). It's still pretty firm but nowhere near as harsh or jiggly as before which is a welcome change. Overall the car feels more soundproofed and refined than before.

Can't think of anything else right now, will update if I do :)

Haven't worked it out - still on my first tank and not done many miles. Has all been fairly urban driving and as the engine is new and tight I'd expect economy to be awful tbh.

In the interests of honesty, there's something else I've discovered recently which is annoying me quite a bit. The driver's door armrest is too far away!

On longer motorway journeys, I always tended to rest my elbow/arm on the driver's door armrest and hold the bottom right corner of the steering wheel. I can no longer do this. With my arm on the armrest, my fingers barely reach the steering wheel.

This sounds trivial but is actually very annoying on long trips. I used to just have both arms on the armrests and my hands on the bottom half of the wheel as it was comfortable. Now I can't :(

What are your early mpg figures (with which driving conditions)?

Think I've got the same engine (2.0TDi), and done 700 odd miles on mixed conditions (mainly country windy A roads, and urban), and got 45mpg on it (trip computer 2 tells me that). I think on my old 1.9TDi I got 55 over 2500miles.

I am too getting used to the brake, and the engine off (so weird sitting there with no engine on). But am really starting to like it. I too feel that it's a little smaller than my old one, and cubby holes are missing (under the centre arm rest gone too, as well as the little holder under the headlight switch).

Actually that reminds me. There are 3 positions on the headlight switch, but it goes to a 4th (beyond the 3rd setting), and a message comes up on the dash saying "Lights malfunction" or something. I can't remember if this was like this when I first got it, or I have 'broken' it. You don't really need to force it, but it's natural to just turn it as far as it goes for normal night beam, and it goes past where it's meant to.

Haven't worked it out - still on my first tank and not done many miles. Has all been fairly urban driving and as the engine is new and tight I'd expect economy to be awful tbh.
When do engines losen up? I've never had a new car, so this is all new to me, and it does feel tight, but getting there... Also do these 'tight' engines give worse MPG.

Also FYI I brimmed the engine, and it says 470miles remaining, with the old 1.9TDi it used to sae 550 - 600 (sometimes more), but was pretty inaccurate!

Diesels in particular loosen up a lot. The first 1000 miles or so will be the worst, but they'll continue to loosen up slightly more pretty much forever. The economy will improve, but I couldn't say by how much exactly. Forget the official figures though, you'll never get anywhere near them.

Interesting about the light switch - will check that on mine at lunchtime but, as I have auto lights, I've not actually touched the switch yet!

My light switch has four positions - off, auto, side lights, main lights. Doesn't move beyond that.

Great write up, i appreciate an honest review like this :applaus:.
A lot don't like to criticise Audi these days, they are bound to have plus' and minus' like any other car manufacturer.

I will echo that post of Engineers,you could have easily said its perfect as this is an Audi site but you've given an honest view.
The grill is still half and half for me but then again I don't own one.

Thanks guys. I don't mind being honest really and, whilst on the whole I'm overjoyed with the car, there are a few things which I don't like and which irritate me so it's only fair I make others aware of them if I can :)

Maybe if I'd spent my own money I'd be in a bit more denial and be telling myself all was perfect :)