Cylinder on demand engine for new sportback

Trentend

Reaction score
Does anyone know when this will be available to order, I think with the 1.4tfsi?

Yes, I would like to know this as well. I have asked salesmen at Audi on two separate occasions and they have never heard of the cylinder on demand 1.4 engine. Useless.

I've done a bit of searching around on the web and the Honest John website claims by the end of 2012.
All engines in this first phase drive the front wheels; quattro permanent all-wheel drive – and further engines, including a 1.4-litre TFSI with innovative cylinder on demand technology – will follow later in 2012.
but this is probably the 3-door, and not the Sportback.

Somewhere else said early 2013/spring 2013.

I think it will be worth waiting for this engine.

I checked with my local dealer and the Quattro version certainly won't be available this year, and they have no definitely date when it will be available either.

The new Golf is available with the 1.4 ACT engine from launch (ie. now), so I expect that VAG are deliberately holding back this engine on the A3 so as not to hold up deliveries of the Golf.

Thanks for the update. I need to submit my new company car order by mid Dec and this has probably tipped things in favour of a mk7 golf GT 1.4 which, although not as good to look at, is much better spec'd and does have the new engine for the same price as a new sportback. Shame. If only there was somewhere in the UK I could see the new sportback and new golf before making a final decision...

This is one of the problems of being forced to make a decision on a company car when it's a brand new model. Mine was ordered at the end of July and totally blind as I'd never even seen one in the flesh, let alone driven one.

I checked with my local dealer and the Quattro version certainly won't be available this year, and they have no definitely date when it will be available either.

I've just noticed that the 1.8 quattro 3 door has appeared in the Audi configurator. Is this new? I don't remember seeing this last week.

It's been in the brochure for a week or two, since they updated it to include the Sportback.

Interestingly, unless it's a misprint, it seems to have a bit more torque in a slightly narrower band than the non-quattro. Also, the non-quattro 1.8 seems to be available with either a six or seven speed S-tronic box. Can't fathom why they'd offer it with both.

EDIT: Seems the 7-speed is a full £1500 more than the 6-speed, so presumably they're keeping the latter as a lower-cost option. The quattro is only available with the 6-speed and the Sportback only gets the 1.8 with the 7-speed and no quattro option.

The brochure I downloaded shows the non-quattro 1.8 as being available with a 6 speed manual, or 7 speed s-tronic, with the quattro 1.8 only getting a 6 speed s-tronic