Aaaaarrgghh!!

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Just got word that my new car is in the UK and will be ready for delivery next week but the boss says I can't have it until the end of November!

FML :(

Why is boss making you wait till november? thats just cruel. x

Order was placed at the very end of July.

Have to wait as my current car isn't due back until the end of November. Whilst we could hand it back early, they'd still charge us for the full term and the boss doesn't want to be paying for an unneeded car for two months.

Gutted! Don't understand how mine won't be in the uk until 17th November even though I ordered it at the beginning of July! (also through my company)

Order was placed at the very end of July.

Have to wait as my current car isn't due back until the end of November. Whilst we could hand it back early, they'd still charge us for the full term and the boss doesn't want to be paying for an unneeded car for two months.
:sign_unfair:

Tell your boss, a forum member has kindly offered to 'need' your current car for the remainder of the term, so not to worry about it sitting around doing nothing.

That is really awful! Maybe you could offer to try to offset some of the cost, maybe a deal could be done with the lease company and you picking up some of the cost? Grrr!

Much as I want it sooner, I'm not forking out my own money to offset the cost to the company, I'd rather wait.

We're now arguing with the lease company over this. I was quite clear all along about when delivery was required and they confirmed that this wasn't a problem, yet now they're saying the car has to be delivered early.

Boss has said it's not our problem and they have to stick to the agreed timeframe but I'm concerned that, if we push them too far, they might just say "sod it, deal's off" and sell the car to someone else, leaving me totally screwed. I'd rather have it at the end of November than not at all!

Caught in the middle right now and it's a pain.

Ah, the pleasures of a company car! I never get those sort of problems.

How much extra tax do you have to pay a year because you have a company car.

Ah, the pleasures of a company car! I never get those sort of problems.

How much extra tax do you have to pay a year because you have a company car.

The new one will come out slightly cheaper than the current one, but circa £130 a month.

It's a pittance really. Some people comment that I'm throwing that money away since I'll never own the car but that's ridiculous. It amounts to around £1500-1600 a year and all I pay for on top of that is my personal fuel. No servicing, insurance, road tax, depreciation to deal with.

Of course that's not the whole story and I could take a cash alternative (to which would be added the above tax I'd no longer pay) but then I'd have to pay income tax and NI on that additional salary and it ends up being a close call which option is cheaper. It's only really significantly cheaper to take the cash and do it yourself if you're after a high performance car with high CO2 figures which would cost a fortune in tax as a company car. If you go for something with low tax then it's usually cheaper to go the company car route, plus there's a lot to be said for the totally worry and hassle free nature of it.

Personally I've never been in the position of having the option of a company car. Most of my working life was spent working for a County Council who did not offer such things but they did give us very low rate loans to purchase a car and a good mileage rate for using the car. The last 7 years of working I worked for a private company but had no need to go out from the office. Having now been retired for 5 years I no longer work for anyone but I do get a good index-linked pension from the 30 years with the County Council. At least when I retired I already owned an A3 which always has a reasonable trade-in value against the next one although having seen the new A3 I doubt if my next car will be another A3.

When I was working, we had the option of either a company (leased) car, or a monthly allowance. I would say that at least 90% of us (including me) took the allowance. Most people would just treat the allowance as additional salary and carry on running the car they already had.

Oh yeah, if you want to take the money and get a cheaper, probably used car, then that will save a lot of money.

It's actually one reason I don't do that, as the missus wouldn't let me drop £30k on a new A3 every few years and would insist I got something cheaper :D

But there is nothing nicer than a brand new car every few years. It makes life worth living.

At the moment I have the A3 and my wife has an A1. Both purchased as new cars.

Reactions: Audi Man Dan