Impressions from preview evening

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Well I've just got back from the Listers Audi preview evening for the new A3 at Birmingham Audi.

Have to give them credit for trying. Free food & drink, an ice sculptor doing the Audi logo, a duo of cellists and a drummer for entertainment :)

As for the cars...

They had a total of five A3s on display and for people to sit in and look around. Sadly and surprisingly, not a single S-Line among them, although many had options on to "tart" them up a bit, such as Xenons, B&O sound and so on. Only one had the full 7" high-res MMI screen which I found surprising.

I won't drone on about every little detail but instead sum it up by saying I love it! Was the first time I've ever seen one in the flesh, let alone sat in one so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but I've been wowed by it.

The exterior certainly does look much better in the flesh than in photos, as others have said. It still does look more like a facelifted 8P than a totally new model but that's no bad thing really. As for the interior - wow. This was where I had most reservations as it's drawn a lot of criticism generally but I love it. It has the feel of a much bigger car. The interior looks far more polished and professional, it "envelops" you more and feels more solid. They had a car there with the alcantara/leather sports seats (which I've ordered) and it was amazingly comfortable. The dash looks superb with the new colour high-res DIS in the centre and the 7" MMI popup screen looks gorgeous.

Overally I'm very happy and now can't wait for mine to be delivered!

Last edited:
Reactions: suzannec
I was there as well! Also disappointed at the lack of s-lines. Overall very impressed though, going to be a long wait until November though. Booked a test drive on Saturday. Do you know when yours is arriving yet?

Not a clue really. Last I heard they reckoned it would be at the dealer by the end of this month but frankly I think I have more chance of winning the lottery :)

How exciting. Roll on January for me! I'm still waiting to hear about my test drive after a week!!

Hi Vertigo1
It is nice to hear your opinion of the new A3 and I can't wait for mine to arrive now.
Having seen the photos of the new Golf I was thinking I may have made a mistake but you have put my mind at rest. :yes:
Cheers

I loved the interior when I sat in one a few weeks ago, the quality is unrivalled! All the reviews have hit the nail on the head by saying its the interior of a far bigger more luxurious car. The exterior I wasn't overly keen on but I only saw a sport model. Hopefully the 2.0tdi I'm test driving on Saturday will be Sline however I doubt it.

Good to hear your opinion and enjoy the car when it arrives!

Another way to put is that, when I returned to my car to drive home, it felt "dated". As you can see from my sig, it's a fairly loaded 8P3 and yet the interior just felt "old" after sitting in the 8V. The game has moved on.

Reactions: suzannec and slade777
I viewed one today with the salesman telling me the details,he knew I wasn't buying it but was very helpful.
The screen is very James Bondish the way it comes up out of the dash,also the way you can write with your finger on the nav control button to write addresses/postcodes rather than using the old way,the way you can change lighting and different stuff on the car was clever also you can have the handbook uploaded to it for help.
I did say I wasn't smitten with the climate controls but he was saying Audi are wanting to have less clutter so less buttons,afterwards I got into my ten year old car and it has less buttons so maybe they have that a bit wrong.
The interior was sleek and had some dodgy trim which he said can be changed,the exterior is very angular for me and the grill seems to have gone south in my eyes it was horrible.
I did laugh at the poor guy showing me the car as his iPhone music started playing on the cars system and it was all rap music swearing to which he said it was his sons music lol

Reactions: J.R.
I seen the same five cars at Bristol Audi preview last week. It was ok but I wasn't blown away with it at all. Still looks like a blown up A1. I am sure it will grow on me and the s-line and S3 will look good. The hospitality was good though!

Cheers,
Si