Monster MotorsportBadger5
    3rd Gear

Status

Built-in sat nav - Is it worth it ?

When I ordered my new A3, I added the SD card nav to the options list on a bit of a whim really. But now I'm wondering whether it will turn out to be an expensive (£500) white elephant, and if an off the peg sat nav for a quarter of the price would be a better bet. I haven't been given a build week yet, so there is still time to cancel it. (Currently, I don't own a sat nav of any sort).

Views and suggestions welcome.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    If I can give you some recent thoughts on this ...

My girlfriend recently bought an A1 competition line and, against my suggestion, upgraded to the Sat/Nav ... Now of course it was her car and she wanted it, I believed it would be a lot of money wasted but ... Actually now she has it, I think it is a brilliant option in this car, it looks great, works very well (especially the integration into the DIS), is feature rich and IMHO outclasses stand alone Sat/Nav systems. Even though I like to think I don't need Sat/Nav recent trips have been made so much better and easier with the option. The points of interest features make even a day out more interesting, mad how something like this can alter your behaviour ... I think it also has traffic information and other useful navigation aids and the split display and zooming is neat ...

I must say I am a convert to integrated Sat/Nav now ... I assume the A3 option will be at least as 'clever' and neat.

I realised also that when I was looking for my S3 I ideally wanted a Sat/nav (of course they are rare in the 8L so I have to settle for retrofit) and think it is an option a lot of used car buyers would prefer. As to what premium they would pay - who can say, but given a choice in a used car I would look for it now.

Martin
    S3 2003 Avus Silver, Sunroof, Chrome Mirrors, Symphony II, Cruise, Heated Seats, Centre Armrest, Ambient Lights, GTRS Turbo, Forge FMIC, Sports Cats, MillTek, Coilovers ...

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks very much for the feedback.

I believe that the new A3 uses the same system, although possibly with a slightly bigger screen.

6th Gear

Status
    Hold your horses just a sec.

It sounds like k1ano is describing the full blown satnav system which is available on the A3 as part of the Tech Pack.

What you mentioned was the cheaper SD card satnav option. It's hard to tell exactly what the differences are from the limited text in the brochure but it seems the system is far simpler than that of the full blown option.

Having had the full satnav system in my last two A3s, I'd fully echo k1ano's comments regarding it and will be getting the full Tech Pack in the new car, which looks to be even better. Not knowing exactly what the SD card option comprises though, I'd strongly recommend you find out more about it from the dealer before deciding. It may well offer everything you need but you may find it doesn't and you'd be better off with a standalone unit.

What I will say is don't underestimate just how convenient it is having satnav built in. The fact that it's "just there" whenever you need it, without hooking up a separate unit and worrying about detaching and hiding it every time you leave the car. The way it will automatically turn down your music so the directions can be heard. The way it integrates into the dash to provide directions etc etc etc
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    It sounds like k1ano is describing the full blown satnav system which is available on the A3 as part of the Tech Pack.

What you mentioned was the cheaper SD card satnav option. It's hard to tell exactly what the differences are from the limited text in the brochure but it seems the system is far simpler than that of the full blown option.
    Yes, I think the system k1ano is describing is indeed the Tech Pack version.

I've seen the SD card version working in a new A6 (in which it comes as standard), and it seemed to work well enough. From that demo, and from the descriptions in the brochure, the main differences are:

Teck Pack:
    7" high resolution screen
    3D effect mapping
    40GB HDD (do they really still make them that small !!?)

SD card:
    5.8" screen (lower resolution)
    2D mapping
    No HDD, 2 card slots (one for maps)

So you get a better screen, some 3D effects and a whopping 40GB HD for a mere £1000 !
    They really are taking the p1ss.

I think I will ditch it.

1st Gear

Status
    Hmmmm, just to clarify the one in the A1 is the 2 SD card one which costs about £500 for the Sat/Nav SD card and activation, this can be a dealer upgrade to the base connectivity pack which is the screen, DIS, multi-function steering wheel etc.

If you buy the car with only the connectivity pack it can be upgraded to Sat/Nav later for the £500 or so. If you specify the Sat/Nav option the connectivity pack is basically included but the price is around £800.

Of course the A1 version is also a pop-up screen which is pretty cool :-)

Martin
    S3 2003 Avus Silver, Sunroof, Chrome Mirrors, Symphony II, Cruise, Heated Seats, Centre Armrest, Ambient Lights, GTRS Turbo, Forge FMIC, Sports Cats, MillTek, Coilovers ...

3rd Gear

Status
    Just been Googling and it seems the SD nav is a bit of a mixed bag. Some people love it, others say it is crap. Also, I have to wonder whether the 2D view is usable at all in real driving (having never used a sat nav before) ?

For the system in the A6, the dealer says that it doesn't recognise the precise destination, only the street. Maybe it is really only 5 digit postcode enabled, and not 7 as it says in the brochure ?

Another major flaw is that you can't back up the SD map card, as it is encrypted with the vehicle VIN. So if you damage or lose the card, you have to pay another £300 for a replacement.

1st Gear

Status
    If you can then maybe...

See if you can see the actual Sat/Nav in a car at a dealers or at least on the net in terms of what it's features and visuals look like.
    See if you can retrofit if you need to after purchase i.e. the DIS, steering wheel, screen are already in place to support it.

Martin

6th Gear

Status
    The last generation systems (both RNS-E and MMI) have historically only done partial postcode lookup but I understood the newer systems now do full postcode lookups. Could be wrong though and I'm surprised at the A6 - unless of course the person you spoke to is clueless, which is highly possible!

As for the map card, if you never remove it then I don't see why it should get lost or damaged. If it fails then I'd be taking it back to the dealer and demanding a replacement on the grounds it was defective and not fit for purpose.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    So you get a better screen, some 3D effects and a whopping 40GB HD for a mere £1000 !
    They really are taking the p1ss.

I think I will ditch it.
    Bear in mind what else you get with the tech pack, including the funky music interface controls with album artwork etc. Also, from what I've been told by the dealer, although don't take this as gospel, the Tech Pack includes the high-end phone connectivity with Google Earth imagery etc.

1st Gear

Status
    However much I wanted the touch control and album artwork, I simply couldn't justify. The s-line was enough of a stretch for me but I'm sure I'll still be happy.
    Audi A3 1.6 TDI S-Line Daytona Grey
    Ordered
    15 August 2012 with Heated Seats, Electric Lumber Support, Folding Wing Mirrors and Privacy Glass. Arrived 30 November 2012.