Spec Choice

Dave Binns

Reaction score
Been offered a new A3 as replacement company car for my current mk6 golf bluemotion.

I have a weekend car, so speed/performance irrelevant. I'm therefore going for the 1.6 TDI version.

Budget has been capped to £21k after discounts (buying as opposed to leasing). My MD generally gets between 7-10% off the OTR price, I'm therefore looking at a budget of c. £23k in total.

I'm stuck between 2 options -

1.6 TDI sport with additional media interface
or
1.6 TDI s-line (no additions).

I currently use Google Nav on my mobile in the golf which works brilliantly, but I have a no-holes holder/charger for it. Currently there's no such holder for the New A3 - and I don't want to risk having my phone in the centre console trying to view a map.

Nav aside, the media also allows movies to be played etc. Is it possible to play movies/films on the setup that's in the car as standard, or due you require the media package to be able to do this?

Thanks

Dave

Should I go for the S-line for the better exterior looks, wheels and xenons or stick with the sport.

By "media interface", do you mean the Technology Pack, providing sat nav etc?

Given that choice, I'd personally go with the Tech Pack, but that's because I've had the integrated satnav on my last two Audis and love it. I personally think it's a very good system, with clear directions and display, but more than anything I love having the satnav "just there" all the time, rather than having to worry about hooking up a phone or TomTom.

Your mileage may vary though. If you're happy with your existing nav system then you may not be that bothered about having the Audi one instead. The S-Line's advantages over the Sport are almost entirely cosmetic, with the exception of the Xenon lights. You may feel that this is more valuable to you than the integrated nav, it's a personal choice really.

Not helping much am I? :) Sorry!

One thing worth noting is that, whilst the Tech Pack also includes music options, with built-in memory and SD card support, all models appear to now get the AMI system as standard. If you have an iPod or iPhone for music then this is the way to go rather than using memory cards, which renders the music aspect of the Tech Pack rather moot.

Hi Vertigo, I meant tech pack - sorry!

I believe all these A3s come with a USB-music type interface now? - I use this with great success on my Golf so was hoping to simply swop my USB stick into the Audi.

In relation to iphones - I'm an Android user through and through so wouldn't benefit for this standard option to be honest.

Do you know how the standard screen compares to the media-pack one? The brochure states "high resolution" for the tech pack, as though it's a different screen entirely! I spend alot of time in my car, so being able to watch films off an SD card, USB or other device really appeals to me.

I think if it comes down to tech vs kerb appeal I'm leaning towards to the 'tech' to be honest :)

i just checked out s line n sport ill have to say go for S line :rock:

Dave,

Yeah I've got the AMI (Audi Music Interface) in my current car but it's now standard on the new model. Assuming it's the same, it comes with cables for iPods/iPhones and also a standard USB one you can use with a memory stick. I used to use SD cards in my previous car, which worked fine and presumably the same way a memory stick would, but the advantage of the iPod connection is that it lets you access the contents via the MMI in the same way you would on the iPod itself, so you can use playlists and search for songs by Artist, Album, Title or Genre. If you have a lot of music this is a boon compared to just a load of files on a memory card or stick and I ended up buying an iPod just for the car.

If you have an Android phone then the bluetooth streaming might work with that too. This was an option on the AMI before but looks to be standard now. It should let you connect your phone to the car via bluetooth, not only for calls but also to wirelessly stream music to it.

Regards the display, it is a different screen entirely. The basic one is described as 5.8" QVGA in the brochure, which is 320x240 resolution. This is pretty low res to be honest and I think it has a very simplified interface compared to the full Tech Pack screen. That's listed as 7" high resolution, which I presume will be the same 800x600 as the latest device in the current A3, and which I have.

If you like your tech then I'd definitely recommend the Tech Pack option. I love the interface and functionality in mine, both for navigation and music, and the new one looks to be a step up again.

There's a video here of it in operation if you're interested to see. English mode is from 1m11s onwards:

New Audi A3 S-line TFSI: MMI Control - YouTube