Advanced Key - (Hopefully) Everything you ever wanted to know

selar

Reaction score
Ladies and jellyspoons, I give you:

*Note: Captions appear at my end but not at everyone else's. If all you can hear is someone going on about how "there's been a murrrrder", look for captions the icon in the black bar at the bottom right - oh, and the icon won't appear until you click play.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: warren_S5, phil1824 and Splathead
Good video mate I picked my Sportback up yesterday with advanced key and it works great, I've had this feature on my last few vehicles and I like the a3 version the best, touch sensitive door handles and the fact u just have to pull the handle to open. One thing I was surprised with was the fact that the advanced key is identical to standard keys I thought maybe that I would have been of a different design with a hidden key.
all in all a great option and def worth the money I suppose for us this option is like having the s-tronic box, once u have owned them u never want another vehicle without them
One note for the s-tronic owners the only difference in the video is that u have to put your foot on the break pedal to start the car.

Great video! I haven't ordered the advanced key because I thought it wouldn't be worth, but after viewing the video, I'm quite impressed how precise and secure it is. Thanks for sharing.

Good informative video, thanks for posting it. One question - I presume there is still a normal ignition key "socket" where you could use the actual fold out key if there was some sort of problem with the button? Or is it hidden away?

Very well done and thanks for taking the time to post.

Great video, thank you. I have advanced let in my current car ( Mazda 6 ) this looks so much better with the touch sensitive locking. Currently I have a little button to press on the handle, though opening is touch sensitive. Really interesting as to how precisely the car knows the key is inside/ outside the car.

Great posting, hopefully those that had concerns about the advanced key are more reassured. I know having had this option when I drive my hubby's car I really miss it.

Agree, great video!

Always good to understand exactly how something like this works.

One note for the s-tronic owners the only difference in the video is that u have to put your foot on the break pedal to start the car.

Ta - I never even thought about that. I've put an annotation in the video now. I also realise I made it look like you always need two button-presses to get the engine turning; not true if you just get in and put your foot on the appropriate pedal for your car the first time round!

Good informative video, thanks for posting it. One question - I presume there is still a normal ignition key "socket" where you could use the actual fold out key if there was some sort of problem with the button? Or is it hidden away?

Thanks everyone! If there's a problem with the Start Engine button, or if the key's battery dies, then instead of butting the blade into an ignition barrel there's a flat patch in its place on the side of the steering wheel that reads the chip in your key passively, much like contactless payment bank cards I guess. The only place you can use the blade is on the keyhole on the outside of the car, I suppose because the passive reading option won't work over the distances involved.

Interesting it has the same style key in use, they must have redesigned the pcb/immo circuitry inside the key, as it would need power to the cr2032 battery normal keys have, as I cant imagine it would extend the inductive system to that distance for immo, so it must be powered immo circuitry now, be good to open up a key to see whats inside now.

lol, tbh its simple on those keys, pop battery cover of, take pic, then maybe undo 2 screws & take pic of the pcb :)

Just tried - seems there are 3 snap-on points and third one (closest to the blade) doesn't wanna release. I don't know if mine's just stiff but I wouldn't like to force it.

Ooh - while you're here - is there any way to retrofit the auto-dipping kerbside mirror on reversing? It's something I noticed this body could really do with - it's a lot more awkward to see the kerb than on my previous Fiesta.

Yeah I believe it can be done using VCDS now, I've seen the option for it but didn't try it

Is there not also a feature with the advanced key that you cannot accidentally lock the key in the boot? If you just unlocked the boot, accidentally left they key inside and shut the boot, it would automatically open a second later? I think I remember that being the case with BMW's?

Great videos. Cheers for taking the time to create them.

Can you post again with subtitles , I'm for Essex originally and all I can hear is some bloke from taggart , something about there's been a murder ????? :)

i am joking lol, good vid, had keyless on a previous car, wish I'd been able to spec it on mine!! Oh and colour on yours looks very nice!!

Hah, appropriately, my dad used to work on Taggart!

I know you were kidding, but there should actually have been captions there. Did they appear?

Ha you can't be to careful , some would take it wrong way!

and now I can't tell if you're pulling my leg?? Lol , captions where ? On the vid?

...and now I can't tell if you're pulling my leg?? Lol , captions where ? On the vid?

Yeah! I typed them up where they were wrong and everything. Still noticed a few spelling mistakes, mind. Maybe you have to click it the first time, and then every time you re-watch the video it knows to show them, because they've come up every time I've checked it. Look for the icon at the bottom right and let me know if it works.

i thought the advanced key had an lcd screen????

id personally tell audi i want the lcd key

i think it looks nicer and the british market the cars are usually more expensive so we should have all the toys whether we need them or not! does this pre warm the engine or the interior as my last remote start car you could pre warm the interior using the clifford remote which in winter was a massive benefit

Hello,

I am new to this forum so I might ask a dumb question.
If you leave the car open and walk away, does it lock itself automatically once you are outside the range of 1m or 1 m 50 around the car?

Cheers

Hi flixor - it doesn't lock automatically purely because you've left the range - you have to press the button on the handle. I'd be surprised if there isn't a safety feature that locks the doors automatically as standard across the entire Audi range after, say, 5 or 10 minutes. It was standard on my Fiesta when I bought that 7 years ago. I'll have a look at the manual and post back.

My Advanced Key
75B83C2F-252C-4FB5-A5B4-DEE40BDC376A-7018-000002E2C95DC320.jpg

FB6871B9-D718-4B95-8A99-2EBCEF17DCAD-7018-000002E2BC81FF0E.jpg

Now open it up & show us some real pics lmao.

Hi flixor - it doesn't lock automatically purely because you've left the range - you have to press the button on the handle. I'd be surprised if there isn't a safety feature that locks the doors automatically as standard across the entire Audi range after, say, 5 or 10 minutes. It was standard on my Fiesta when I bought that 7 years ago. I'll have a look at the manual and post back.

Cheers Selar, I appreciate it. I thought it was part of the system.

I was going to take this option anyway just for the button on the console :)

i think if you unlock it but don't actually open a door or the boot, it automatically locks after a few minutes.

I unlocked the car by touching the door handle earlier and since it was dusk the vehicle lights came on, after about 5 mins the lights went out, returned to the vehicle without the key fob after about 30 mins and the car was still open

Interesting to know.
Are there settings in the MMI concerning the advanced key?

I unlocked the car by touching the door handle earlier and since it was dusk the vehicle lights came on, after about 5 mins the lights went out, returned to the vehicle without the key fob after about 30 mins and the car was still open

Peterdona - did you sort out this fault. I am seriously thinking of adding advance key to my order but the one thing that does worry me is the 100% reliability of the technology.

Would not want to walk away from my pride and joy thinking it was locked and come back to find its gone and insurance don't pay out as declare it was not left locked due to a fault in the advanced key technology.

I don't think there is any fault - lightly touching the door handle IS the way to open it. The impression I got was that Peterdona deliberately opened it to see if the doors would lock by themselves after a period of inactivity in the same way that a lot of cars with regular keys do.

the car is fine what i was wanting to try was if i left the car unlocked for a period of time, would the car automatically lock itself which it doesn't,
one thing that i found useful was that in the MMI settings i ticked the fold wing mirrors when locked box, so every time the car is locked the mirrors fold in, hence we know for sure the car is locked

Contradictory evidence: I've literally just been sitting in my car for ten minutes checking this on my phone after parking up at home with the engine fully off. The radio switched off and the screen retracted, the doors locked, the indicators on the wing mirrors flashed, and the red LED that discourages thieves has started blinking.

the car is fine what i was wanting to try was if i left the car unlocked for a period of time, would the car automatically lock itself which it doesn't,
one thing that i found useful was that in the MMI settings i ticked the fold wing mirrors when locked box, so every time the car is locked the mirrors fold in, hence we know for sure the car is locked

Ah, got it, thanks, still undecided on whether to add this as an option, technology is cool, but usefulness is limited for £425, that said I currently keep my keys in my manbag/laptop bag which gets chucked on the back seat on way to/ from work