Quick Cover i did :)

mcpickering

Reaction score
hey guys,

i did a quick cover of "cannonball" by damian rice using a backing track (one day i will learn it on guitar....)

just wanted some honest opinions. not the best recording and i know i dont have the best voice in the world :p but i thought i would share and would like to hear what people think.

James - Cannonball by James Pickering 2 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thanks,

James

James that was excellent. Really enjoyed it. Vocals were good.

Its not the type of music I listen too so it's the first time I've heard this song.
But I listened to yours and then listened to the original, and then I listened to yours again; and from a totally unbiased point of view... I like a lot of your version more than the original.

:icon_thumright:

Well done, James! That really is a massively good effort. Like Ads says, your version sounds much better than the original! :wub: xx

Guys. I can't thankyou enough. That's the biggest compliment ever. Really appreciate the kind words. Thanks

Sounds very good mate. Where abouts are you? I play acoustic guitar, I can play this song, but my singing is dog egg! If your local (Cambridgeshire) give us a shout.

Thanks again Sandra, i think you are my biggest fan :p

Monster_munch,

I am in Reading, so not too close. which song can you play? Cannonball or the second one, Opportunity?

i'm looking to learn cannonball this wek as i just go a new electro-acoustic, and i can already play Opportunity, just can't sing at the same time :)

oh and thanks a bunch for the positiveness(it's a word, i promise :p)

i liked both of those covers, you have a good voice for sure.

got to love soundcloud, some of my favourite tracks are from there...

i liked both of those covers, you have a good voice for sure.

got to love soundcloud, some of my favourite tracks are from there...

I agree, have picked up some really cool music for my ipod, both from James and Fran.

once again, cheers all, really does make me happy.

any thoughts on more songs i should do? or ones you think would suit my voice?

James

once again, cheers all, really does make me happy.

any thoughts on more songs i should do? or ones you think would suit my voice?

James

Hi james, i have many favourite songs, too many to list, but here is a few i think may suit your voice if you would like to try.

1. Run. Snow Patrol
2. Bad Dream. keane
3. All Theses things that I know. Killers

I will add some more on later when i got more time.

hmm, interesting choices there,

i love the acoustic version of run and have been attempting to learn that one today. will have a listen to the other ones.

gunna be attempting a song called say it's possible, by Terra Naomi as it has the easiest guitar ever and is quite vocally challenging and interesting (for a bloke at least)

could be a while before i have anything recorded though.... will keep you posted. :)

​James, thats an interesting choice of track you have chosen. Cant wait to hear the outcome of that.

have also been learning You & Me by Lifehouse, which is going pretty well. finally managed to sing and play at the same time :)

any feedback on the new track guys?

Being totally honest...
I don't think that song is for your voice mate. Sounds a bit strained in places, especially during the choruses. Just never hits your voice's "sweet spot".
For me, and listening to your other track, it doesn't do you justice.

Thank you for the honesty :)

I, in fact completely agree, i think the main reason is that i learnt this song on the guitar and finally learnt to sing at the same time, then i started messing about with the capo and ended up recording this with a capo on 2nd fret (there is no capo in this song normally) so i thing i made it so i would have to sing too high. think i will try re-recording without the capo(or maybe on first)

i appreciate the honesty.

I am halfway through recording a version of Wire to Wire by Razorlight (with a backing track again) and i'm quite pleased with how it's coming on, not the easiest song to sing so should be a gooden :)

I can listen and enjoy all types of music depend on mood, and i enjoyed listening to you sing

liked Cannonball best, but think you did well playing and singing at the same time, (you and me) enjoyed Phill on the guitar too
love to hear more

Thanks for the feedback spooky. I am in the process of learning a load of new songs. I'm doing my own version of opportunity with me singing and playing this time. Which should be interesting. Also learning to sing/play:

Wonderwall -oasis
Wish you were here - pink Floyd
Roulette - system of a down

And a couple of others, also doing some more backing track covers of wire to wire
- razorlight and naive - the kooks.

One major issue is my harddrive died last week (just as I had finished recording the razorlight cover... Grrr) so I now have to wait a week or so for a replacement before any new recording.

Being totally honest...
I don't think that song is for your voice mate. Sounds a bit strained in places, especially during the choruses. Just never hits your voice's "sweet spot".
For me, and listening to your other track, it doesn't do you justice.

Thank you for the honesty :)

I, in fact completely agree, i appreciate the honesty.

Hi James,

Great effort mate! I will be totally honest with you and say i agree with Ads that your voice is not 100% suited to the song and it does sound strained in places. Although this doesn't mean to say you can't train/improve to correct the imperfections.

I myself am no singer or musical expert but i'm also looking into getting onto the music scene, so i can totally appreciate your bravery putting up songs for strangers to listen to. I guess this is the best feedback you will get, from strangers who will honestly tell you how you sound and where you need to improve.

Keep up the good work pal.

Shaun.

Hi James,

Great effort mate! I will be totally honest with you and say i agree with Ads that your voice is not 100% suited to the song and it does sound strained in places. Although this doesn't mean to say you can't train/improve to correct the imperfections.

I myself am no singer or musical expert but i'm also looking into getting onto the music scene, so i can totally appreciate your bravery putting up songs for strangers to listen to. I guess this is the best feedback you will get, from strangers who will honestly tell you how you sound and where you need to improve.

Keep up the good work pal.

Shaun.

Cheers Shaun,

appreciate the input mate :happy:

There will always be more work i can do on these songs, and i'm my own harshest critic, so it will never be right, haha. I am going to re-record "you and me" without the capo and hopefully it will be less strained :)

getting on well with a couple of new songs at the moment, when the computer is fixed i will get round to recording them and putting them up on soundcloud.

James

No worries pal.

Do you write your own music at all or are you just covers based at the moment?

at the moment, it is just covers. just to get used to things, i only started learning guitar very recently.

i am in a band also (kind of) for which we have written 5 or 6 songs, which are all average.

The songs we wrote just didn't have enough actual singing, or anything to test me, it is a bit dull. there is also another vocalist. I find it very hard to have to split all the vocals up and it just got a bit tiresome...

looking at maybe starting a new band with some heavier influence, but we will see..

As i said before mate, i did like you singing cannonball, but tbh i dont think the sound quality was the best on this last song, so its not doing you any favors or justice
The Guitar (sound quality) was better, and to me you played it well :applaus:

thoughts guys?

James, I have listened to the song a few times now, and i really like your version. very well done. i have a request, can you try run, by snow patrol, i think you would make such a good job of that, you have the right kind of voice to do that. :applaus:

As i said before mate, i did like you singing cannonball, but tbh i dont think the sound quality was the best on this last song, so its not doing you any favors or justice
The Guitar (sound quality) was better, and to me you played it well :applaus:

Thanks for the feedback again spooky, i agree, it could/should have been recorded better, it was more of a spur of the moment thing and i just thought sod it, lets put it up.

James, I have listened to the song a few times now, and i really like your version. very well done. i have a request, can you try run, by snow patrol, i think you would make such a good job of that, you have the right kind of voice to do that. :applaus:

Thanks again Sandra, still proving to be my biggest fan [:)]

that's a good shout there, i have been trying to learn the acoustic version of Run on the guitar, problem is there are 2 guitars, so i will probably have to do some multiple track recording.

will let you know when it's done [;)]

James

Thanks again Sandra, still proving to be my biggest fan [:)]

that's a good shout there, i have been trying to learn the acoustic version of Run on the guitar, problem is there are 2 guitars, so i will probably have to do some multiple track recording.

will let you know when it's done [;)]

James

Cant wait James. You could maybe try fix you by coldplay or something from the script, but i really want to hear what you can do with snow patrols Run. :) x

Managed to learn "Run" last night, will see if i can get around to recording it later on, i will be doing separate tracks this time to improve the audio quality.

The script is a good shout Sandra, not too keen on coldplay and find it very tricky to get motivated to learn songs i find dull.