Volks AutosJMB Retrofits

Thread: Knowing

Administrator

Status

Knowing

We recently replaced my Dad's telly with a Sony KDL-40W5500; one of the reasons being it does a reasonable job of upscaling SD video from his cable box (he's not far off getting some HD broadcast reception - closer after this evening); but I wanted to show him what the new TV is capable of.

I hooked up the laptop over HDMI and we just watched Knowing in 1080p.

Well, first of all - it looked hamayzing. I doubt the cinematography and CGI are at the absolute bleeding-edge of what Hollywood can deliver, but it was still pretty damn impressive - particularly the scenes showing the dramatic/disasterous events which are crucial to the story.

Anyway, on to the film 'proper' - has anyone else seen this? What did you think?

I think I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. The screen-play was pretty good imho - I kind of like those movies which develop slowly and build intruige, I think it's fair to say this movie does that. The script itself was OK, I guess there are bits of quite a lot of other movies in it; but there are enough differences to keep it interesting.

I'm never sure whether I'd describe myself as someone who has Nicolas Cage on a pedestal as an actor; I think his performances are often pretty similar, exasperated like a lot of Clint Eastwood's more average stuff. That said, I think it worked pretty well in this movie.

I won't give the end away, but while it's a relatively happy-conclusion, it's not quite as predictable in the 'hero saves the world and gets the girl' kind of way; and that scores some points with me too. The very final scene, showing the outcome (if you will) was a little bit sentimental for my liking, but it didn't do any harm to my impression of the film as a whole.

If you want 90+ minutes of constant action, you might want to look elsewhere; also if you want a seriously complicated twisty-and-turny plot, again there are probably better movies for you to watch. However, if you like a balance of those things, it's probably worth a look.

I'm pretty interested to hear what anyone else thinks of it...

Cheers,

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I watched this a couple of days ago and I've got to agree on your 7/10. Was quite enjoyable to watch, building the intruige as you say all the way through. The ending isn't what you would expect it to be when you watch it but it was good nonetheless.

Nic Cage isn't the best actor in the world, but there's something about his movies that I like. I'll second that this is definately worth a watch.

Coss
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    Haven't watched yet. It's on the popcorn. Might watch it during the weekend.

N. Cage is good. I like his movies too...he must be good being Coppola's nephew

Anyway, how's the W5500?

I've got the 52" on and I do agree, it's amazing qualit once set up properly
    ^^ In my opinion

5th Gear

Status
    I was actually looking forward to this film, as a lot of people had said how good it was. I am not a fan of Mr Cages films and this was no exception. I will agree the film deserves a 7/10 though.
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Liked it till the end then I was like wtf