F1 season 2014

So we know what happened at the front, but thoughts on best of the rest?

Quite impressed with Ricciardo finishing 4th starting from 13th! No doubt he benefitted from the pace car, but I gave a fist pump when he overtook Vettel! Haha. Force India's have impressed me also, and good to see Perez on the podium, it was either him or Massa as my 2nd driver in the fantasy league, I went with the latter.

Reactions: warren_S5 and Artimus
I only saw the last 10 laps, but what I saw was good, some good driving from Hamilton and great to see Perez make it to the podium for Force India, what was even more impressive was when they interviewed him in the back and the team were celebrating, one of them broke into a break dance routine, that was cool!!

Reactions: warren_S5 and jojo
what was even more impressive was when they interviewed him in the back and the team were celebrating, one of them broke into a break dance routine, that was cool!!

Yeah, I spotted that too! The guy started to do a windmill, but when he got up, he looked fcuked! :yahoo:

Yea man, he looked like he was going to collapse!!!

Third pole of the season for Lewis, sublime drive in the wet. :applaus:

Reactions: voorhees, warren_S5 and Artimus
I will be suprised if Hamilton and Rosberg aren't 1,2 at the end of the first lap . If Vettel and Ricciardo have any sense they will let Rosberg go , Mercedes are possibly going to have an issue trying to slow them down a bit. If they race eash other hard enough either they will hit each other or the car will break, either way Red Bull will be the winners.

Karl.

Good morning guys, sorry for my lack of posting in these parts in the last few days, but I'm posting this from Shanghai actually, I went to watch the race live over here!

I was sitting around here for the start.

DD8CC526-1C59-4A80-ADB1-6AB20E815380_zpsltlhdqbf.jpg

And here's a pic of Turn one, standing on the grid.

F24EAC07-9C50-4EAB-9FB6-AAC619E9E2B9_zpsgilu7tco.jpg

I will report about my trip in a separate thread once I return to the UK.

Regarding the race itself, I'm happy that Lewis claimed pole and first in the race. :yahoo: After only 12 laps, he was heading into turn 1 in his Merc, just as Vettel came into view at the last turn. My fear now is, the seasons going to be a whitewash from Mercedes, and it's going to be a boring season again. Midway through the race, it dawned on me that it was actually a boring race from the stands, so can't imagine what it's like watching in my living room. Sound wise, I didn't need earplugs or ear defenders, the noise is definitely not as loud as I was expecting.

Reactions: Shrek5, desertstorm, voorhees and 3 others
They are planning to increase the bore of the exhausts to add some noise back in, but as to when that will come...

Sounds like they are also looking to enforce the long awaited budget caps and other **** that will hold back the rate of development in F1 even further. Yes this years changes have mixed up the grid a bit, but have just created a new set of challenges (for now). I was pleased Hamilton won, delighted Ricciardo again gave Vettel a licking (it appears he is the best driver when he has a perfect car under him), but other than that I found yesterday a bit dull. Driver of the day; Alonso.

Reactions: Artimus and Ghost
I think this is a testing season for Vettel. The history/record books will always say he's a quadruple world champion, and there's no doubt he has speed in him, but we all know it's the Newey designed car that got him his titles. If he is blown away by Riccairdo this season, it's not going to end well for him I reckon. He needs to pull something special out of an inferior car like what Alonso has done, to be deemed a great driver.

Reactions: Ghost
Nice one Jojo. Looking forward to reading about your trip. :icon_thumright:

I watched on Sky, and I don’t think they noticed the race official waving the chequered flag with two laps remaining?
It was only watching it on the BBC, and interviewing Lewis about why he was asking about seeing the chequered flag, that it was confirmed that the flag was shown with two laps remaining!

My question is this… if the chequered flag was shown, is that the end of the race, and if any cars was passed after that, would they need to give the place back?

:think:

Nice one Jojo. Looking forward to reading about your trip. :icon_thumright:

I watched on Sky, and I don’t think they noticed the race official waving the chequered flag with two laps remaining?
It was only watching it on the BBC, and interviewing Lewis about why he was asking about seeing the chequered flag, that it was confirmed that the flag was shown with two laps remaining!

My question is this… if the chequered flag was shown, is that the end of the race, and if any cars was passed after that, would they need to give the place back?

:think:

These an article in the FIA rules that states if the flag is waved early by accident by a lap or two, then that is classed at the end of the race, so Kamui Kobayashi's overtake on the last lap was wiped off, as the race is deemed finish on lap54 instead of 56.

Blimey guvner!! This years a bit different to the last 4 :) :applaus:

Where's Reptart? :tumble: :Flush:

Reactions: jojo and Sandra
Blimey guvner!! This years a bit different to the last 4 :) :applaus:

Where's Reptart? :tumble: :Flush:

Hi Tim, its been awhile since you been on, lol. Yes things are very different in F1 this year with the new fueling system. Its good to see different teams being more competitive and not have the usual Redbull team taking all the spoils. Our friend has not been on for the longest time. :) x

It's a bit like my mates who support Man Utd., they're rubbing your face in it when they're winning yet vanish of the face of the earth when they lose ;-)

Maybe Red Bull supporters do the same? Such a shame as he (Reptard) was such good sport!

Reactions: Artimus and Sandra
Hallooo!! I have to nip back every now and again, helps me realise that not all forums are full of none conversational halfwits that seem to frequent the BMW forums :)

Woohoo, well fingers crossed for a decent year like the Bahrain GP.

Can't believe I missed the 'Fantasy F1'! logged in and found messages in my inbox, seems my email alerts have disappeared :(

Reactions: Sandra
It's a bit like my mates who support Man Utd., they're rubbing your face in it when they're winning yet vanish of the face of the earth when they lose ;-)

Maybe Red Bull supporters do the same? Such a shame as he (Reptard) was such good sport!

LOVED that boy (mini man).

haha definitely a glory hunter, he's probably buying up ALL the Merc merchandise before coming back as an established Merc fan.

Reactions: Sandra and warren_S5
Thought China was a bit dull compared to the previous race. I quite like the new rules (apart from the double points for the final race). Not sure the noise is a massive problem, in a way it's interesting to hear the cars locking up etc. Plus the turbos/ERS make some excellent chunterry noises.

Good to see Vettel getting beaten, although it will be pretty dull if Mercedes just disappear off into the distance. Looks like the Red Bull is a good car just the engine is crap. Ricciardo appears to be delivering on the promise and seems to be doing the business. Disappointed that McLaren seem to be nowhere, and although I don't necessarily like Alonso he's showing that he really is a top driver and extracting everything from a pretty poor Ferrari at the moment.

With regards to Vettel vs. Ricciardo I think it was the Sky commentary that was saying one reason Ricciardo is doing better is he is, essentially, used to hustling around a rubbish car whereas Vettel is used to a 'perfect' car and therefore less able to adapt. IMHO I think this is at least part of it - what will be interesting is if Vettel can get on top of that or, if Red Bull smooth out the rough edges, Ricciardo retains the upper hand.

Reactions: Artimus and warren_S5
Hallooo!! I have to nip back every now and again, helps me realise that not all forums are full of none conversational halfwits that seem to frequent the BMW forums :)

Woohoo, well fingers crossed for a decent year like the Bahrain GP.

Can't believe I missed the 'Fantasy F1'! logged in and found messages in my inbox, seems my email alerts have disappeared :(

The solution is get back in an audi, lol. Yes its a real shame your not in FF1 this year. We getting a few new members in there every year and the banter is good fun. Check your settings about your email notifications Tim. :) x

Reactions: 1animal1
Thought China was a bit dull compared to the previous race. I quite like the new rules (apart from the double points for the final race). Not sure the noise is a massive problem, in a way it's interesting to hear the cars locking up etc. Plus the turbos/ERS make some excellent chunterry noises.

Good to see Vettel getting beaten, although it will be pretty dull if Mercedes just disappear off into the distance. Looks like the Red Bull is a good car just the engine is crap. Ricciardo appears to be delivering on the promise and seems to be doing the business. Disappointed that McLaren seem to be nowhere, and although I don't necessarily like Alonso he's showing that he really is a top driver and extracting everything from a pretty poor Ferrari at the moment.

With regards to Vettel vs. Ricciardo I think it was the Sky commentary that was saying one reason Ricciardo is doing better is he is, essentially, used to hustling around a rubbish car whereas Vettel is used to a 'perfect' car and therefore less able to adapt. IMHO I think this is at least part of it - what will be interesting is if Vettel can get on top of that or, if Red Bull smooth out the rough edges, Ricciardo retains the upper hand.

Yup, agree with all the above. Maybe a stint in a lower rent car is what sharpens the nerve and resolve, and DR has had that for a good few years. It is quite surprising how two sister teams (RB/TR) can have such a difference in performance as DR has elevated from midfield to almost best of the rest in a single season with little transition time. Magnusson looked a safe bet in Aus, but the car has just fallen away from them both which is disappointing given the glorious engine power the Mercedes is offering as a benefit. Sounds like McLaren are as much focussed on personnel issues as on the track at present which is a shame, can see this being another so-so year for them unless they sort it within the next two or so races. Bet LH is glad to have moved on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrek5 and Artimus
Roll on next week!! :racer:
...it's here.:yahoo:

Hamilton's been having such a blast in free practice, he's bound to have a DNF (or something that knocks him out of the points) for the race! If I were a betting man, I'd be putting my shirt on Rosberg to win.

The only thing I can see getting in Hamiltons way is mechanical issues, he is on a roll at the moment and looking at FP1, FP2 times he is going to be hard to beat in quali and it's not so easy to overtake.
Vettel is probably wishing he hadn't changed chassis as he wouldn't probably have had the issue with the car. Lotus look like they may go bump before the end of the year with money issues, If they aren't paying Renault for the engines and Renault are saying they can't spend the money to develop them because Lotus aren't paying them.
I really wish Rosberg could step up as I have him as a driver but I don't think he has the one lap speed to beat Hamilton in quali .

Karl.

Tomorrow is going to be a good race, and Romberg will be getting frustrated now so prolly go all out to prove a point to lewis

Lewis. To win though

Ideally I'd like JB to win but that won't happen

Hope tomorrow will be a good race, but like Desertstorm said, it’s not going to be easy to overtake, so the first corner will be interesting.

Vettel down in 15th, so come-on, if he’s any sort of driver he needs to finish in the top 5, Ricciardo showing it’s the car to beat after the Mercedes!

Hope Bottas gets some good luck, he’s driving well.

Hope tomorrow will be a good race, but like Desertstorm said, it’s not going to be easy to overtake, so the first corner will be interesting.

Vettel down in 15th, so come-on, if he’s any sort of driver he needs to finish in the top 5, Ricciardo showing it’s the car to beat after the Mercedes!

Hope Bottas gets some good luck, he’s driving well.

Well, we can only hope there's some form of overtaking, quite enjoying Vettel's failures, he's had it all too good for so long. As a quadruple World Champion, he should at least show a bit of fight. Look at Alonso as an example, driving a dog of a car, but wringing every last ounce of performance out of what it has!!

Barring a crap start or mechanical failure, Hamilton has this one in the bag I reckon, but maybe tyre wear will come into it in the race, whose to say huh?

Reactions: Artimus, Shrek5 and Ghost
Vettel gets a 5 grid penalty for a gearbox change, oh what a shame! Haha :laugh:

Mark Webber must be enjoying this season! :ninja:

Reactions: Shrek5 and warren_S5
I take my words back, to come 4th from 15th is some drive from Vettel! Hatsoff to him!!

Great last 6 laps or so with Rosberg hunting Lewis down, wished he at least made a lunge at him to make it more exciting, but still, a great win for my man, so happy days! :yahoo:

Reactions: 45bvtc, Nilz, Shrek5 and 1 other person
Good to see a good fight up front and fair play to Vettel for a great recovery. Great to see Ricciardo getting third as well, hopefully not to be taken away this time.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Great to see Ricciardo getting third as well, hopefully not to be taken away this time.

Depends how well Ric gets on with Bernie and how desperate Bernie is to reinsert SV in the championship hunt! In F1 the back room corridors influence results nearly as much as the track

I'm not a vettel fan but he drove ****** well

Kimi not impressed at all

4 IN A ROW!! :yahoo:

Good drive by Vettel, or good strategy? :) but that’s where his Red Bull should be!
If you look where the teams finished, they not far off finished team after team after team.
More to do with where the car is at, than driver ability.

Bet the last few laps was hard to watch for Lewis fan’s!
afraid.gif

4 IN A ROW!! :yahoo:

Good drive by Vettel, or good strategy? :) but that’s where his Red Bull should be!
If you look where the teams finished, they not far off finished team after team after team.
More to do with where the car is at, than driver ability.

True, I guess if the Mercs didn't have the power advantage, the Redbulls would still be the team to beat.
Bet the last few laps was hard to watch for Lewis fan’s!

I was rather excited actually. Would have been just as happy if Rosberg won. He needed a few more laps though to make it work.

Ima. Mclaren fan too

Seems to be bad aero

But they lost paddy and the cars have gone down since then, they need a paddy Lowe, or Ross brawn/Adrian newey sort of person

Monaco this weekend…. and it can only mean one thing!
The return of the bull

Red-Bull-logo_1018571.jpg

...or put them on a level playing field at least

any thoughts

I think the Mercs (especially Hamilton) should still out-maneuver the Red Bulls & with the extra acceleration the Mercs would normally win! but Monaco has a history of throwing favourites a curve ball ...it'll be about passing backmarkers cleanly & pitstop strategy! Pitstops are Red Bull's best chance of a win imo.

Monaco this weekend…. and it can only mean one thing!
The return of the bull

Red-Bull-logo_1018571.jpg

...or put them on a level playing field at least

any thoughts

My thoughts is it's going to be a boring race for the spectators with little or no overtaking. I read an article about the different driving style of Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg. Vettels driving style doesn't work without a blown diffuser, he had to adapt his driving to the car in the last race. Rosberg is quicker on the Apex's than Hamilton, but Hamilton has his car setup for more rear grip on the corner exits, so he has better drive out of them.

I reckon Rosberg will be the winner here, but I want Hamilton to win naturally. Of the Bulls, I wouldn't mind Riccairdo winning a race this season, he's impressed me much this season, but Vettel is finally getting use to the car finally.

The race will be won in quali though, not the race methinks.