Audi Driver International

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

I was SERIOSULY impressed with the performance of the A3... RS4's couldnt pass me!
Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember getting past within a lap of getting behind you (Dark Blue RS4), and you had been holding us up for 5 laps before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thought I'd set the record straight, can't let you take that much credit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Damn quick A3 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

But was it a standard RS4? I did let (must have been) you and a silver RS4 by as did SimonT in the Misano red RS4.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep another great day - much better organised this time.

compliments returned Rich - good to see you and Jay again.

My first session in the morning was tricky indeed - both crap tyres and nervous driver in wet weather don't help.

I really enjoyed the session with the RS4's and Rich's car on the track in the afternoon - much better than the morning with some traction being returned.

hey Guys please allow me to at least try and save a little bit of my self-respect here with some excuses! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lets put some perspective on this (also for the benefit of those not brave enough to venture onto the track in their own cars and understand a few things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

No doubt about it - Rich has got one quick car there and I'd be proud of it for sure with a great mod compared to modding an RS4.. - that definitely looks to be a very good modification (sounds great also!) and I'll be more wary of A3's and Golfs from now on. But, before we get carried way gloating, even souped up Golf Mark 1's were passing RS4's at the VAG driver day this year and last! Of course I'd expect some trouble from a 300bhp 1100kg A3? vs a 380bhp 1700kg RS4 - especially with two heavy guy's in my RS4.. come on what did we all expect here?

A decent driver in my car would have got past Rich's superb car. No doubt. Not only am I a novice in a car I've had for one month but I'm not gonna risk injury to my passenger and myself and writing my 32k car off because Rich won't move out of the way - to prove - what exactly?

There is not really that much between a tuned vs stock RS4 on a straight road until you get up to about 120mph when the tuned RS4 really comes into its own. I know - we've tried it a few times with a 460bhp car. Therefore, I'd expect to pass a car like Rich's at Donington for example with its long straight.

I'd have thought the A3's would handle better thru the bends - my 'Barge' is hardly a track handling car but we spent most laps virtually glued to the A3's bumper - ask my passenger!

we all caught you up anyway after a few laps - even with an A4 2.8 Quattro in the way between us and you.

Anyway, don't tell my Mrs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm off to lick my wounds..

Enjoy the car.

Cheers guys. A good day indeed.

[ QUOTE ]
madkebab said:
Was a quality day but was a little disappointed with the amount of trade stands. Hardly any and less than last year which was the first ever event. Perhaps it needs better advertising??
Anyhow the track was quality, Rich - your car is very quick mate was enjoying watching you keeping up there with the RS4's and the like, your turbo sounds sweeeeet when it spins up as well. Does anyone know much about that silver B5 S4 saloon that was going round the track, think the reg plate ended MUD, that was one seriously quick car.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the silver S4 you refer to is David T's car which is standard BHP but has porsche brakes and H&R suspension. Dave is a great track day driver - as witnessed at Oulton Park last year.

I agree - trade exhibitors were thin on the ground indeed. I only really go for the track day TBH.

It was my first Audi meeting, the cars were all well turned out and the track action was fantastic to watch, shame there was not ,more trade stands there tho. One good thing was my Mrs admitted she liked the RS4 rims, so that means i have permission to get some now, :)

It was good to only see one other A4 in my colour too at the time i went

Peace!!!

Great day guys, good to meet you all.

I really felt for you Rich when your motor hit the tyre wall at Quarry! I was standing there at the time and witnessed it. Glad its not too bad though (Could have been a hell of a lot worse!)

It was fun watching those RS4's that couldn't get passed you! I bet they were thinking - What the **** is in that!
- Probably had a few people coming round to the stand just to check her out - reading the 300bhp conversion notes in the window /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The weather let us down but it was still good fun and really enjoyed myself.

Till next time....
Rich.

Looking on the bright side with the weather at least we had some wet track action, then nice and dry for the afternoon (the two extremes). Did make me wish i had brought my car along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone else surprised that REVO didnt show up (I dont count one car sitting on its own with REVO stickers on it as attending)?

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
Looking on the bright side with the weather at least we had some wet track action, then nice and dry for the afternoon (the two extremes). Did make me wish i had brought my car along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone else surprised that REVO didnt show up (I dont count one car sitting on its own with REVO stickers on it as attending)?

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a silver S3 parked opposite Rich's JBR stand with REVO stickers plastered all over it.

A good day out ?? Well for the most part it was wet and cold ... but that said, putting faces ito names and the sound of Richs turbo from the track made it worth while.

Sorry to hear about the tyre wall, musta happened just after I left ur stand? Glad to hear that its not all bad, and that most of the memory has been polished out - at least its sorted whose the better driver eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Once again thanks for the parking space,and good to meet up with all.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Marcus.

my first track day ever and only owned my a3 for just over a week. Even in the wet it as damn good fun, better with the traction control off as well i found out. My esp kept kicking in when trying to come out of the corners. Didnt really seem to affect the car much going in or perhaps i just wasnt getting out of shape.

Made me smile when some TTs and S3s couldnt keep up with me. To be fair, the DSG on the track is a very big advantage, but i wasnt telling anyone that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Was having a chat with a guy in an S3 on the last session and he had approx 280bhp and in the end he had to let me by (after starting 3 cars behind him, took all 3)

Very good fun and the afternoon session in the dry were amazing. Made me want to get tuning on my car as is currently stock (A3 3.2). Will deffo be there on next one.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Great day guys, good to meet you all.

I really felt for you Rich when your motor hit the tyre wall at Quarry! I was standing there at the time and witnessed it. Glad its not too bad though (Could have been a hell of a lot worse!)

It was fun watching those RS4's that couldn't get passed you! I bet they were thinking - What the **** is in that!
- Probably had a few people coming round to the stand just to check her out - reading the 300bhp conversion notes in the window /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

The weather let us down but it was still good fun and really enjoyed myself.

Till next time....
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep was goo to put a face to the name! I was incredibly p!ssed off when it happened (especially as i wasnt driving) but luckily the damage is minimal...only some like scratches on the rear arch which im sure we can get rid of, and just the wheel needs refurbing...luckily it was pretty low speed by the time he hit... The video is very amusing...lots of "OH SH!t, Oh F*ck, Sh*t sh*t Sh*t!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Could have been a whole lot worse... The problem was that the brakes just got too hot and braking down from 120+ just finished it off... It was a very long session...they were running for about 6 laps as opposed to the 4 that most were getting, and that was straight after my VERY hard laps with the RS4's. Need to look at pad compound for the next time...was using hawk fast road pads not race pads to they didnt hold up too bad really.... ECS stage 1 rears are in order aswell i think! Roll on June for VAG drivers day...will be a good 'un!

Was funny looking at people faces when they read the vehicle spec i put up...very satisying indeed!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
What colour was your A3 Officedog? Was it grey?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, Lava Grey. 04 model with parabolic wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Yeah I remember seeing you putting it thru its paces!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was actually pleasently surprised with the handling of it. Having swopped from an R32 (which i didnt get on the track), I was expecting less from it. I had a few 'Moments' in the morning, especially when the drack started to dry off, but apart from that I had no complaints. The standard brakes are very good and with the traction control off in the wet, i was able to power out of the corners very well. I dont mind slipping out of the corners, can control that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Did get brake fade though, but was able to compensate for that. I was having a laugh to myself and co-pilot about the fact that a fair few TTs and S3s where struggling to keep up, but i put that down to a) my apparent lack of fear going into corners, and b) that ****** good DSG box, and a little of c) my own driving skill.

I even had the s4s that couldnt catch me on one session, but not sure thats a fair comparison, although i was chuffed with myself and the car.

Im now looking at the stage 2 from amd and some different wheels. I dont want to go to far as never sure how long i will keep that car. Should give me a bit more performance on the next day out.

All in all, very very good fun and well recommended to anyone to have a 'legal' racing session.

Afternoon all,

Nice to see people on Saturday, DuncS3, simont, Paul S3, ChelseaMick, JohnRS4, Domus (very briefly!).

I enjoyed the track sessions, we went out in the second group when the track was drying but greasy, very good. Next session was late morning when it was very wet, better still, lots of sliding around, including some in 4th gear above 100mph. Third was mid afternoon when the circuit was bone dry and very grippy, that was the best one !

Really good day, the technical forum was good, as were the stands but it would have been nice if there were more there, as others have commented.

A good event for people to try a track session/day and many did, which is nice to see.

Looking forward to the next one.

David, Silver B5 S4

Ooops, sorry jeff I forgot to thank you for the passenger ride in you K04 S4, most excellent it was too.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug_S2 said:
I was standing at Quarry when the JBR car had it's off - I thought you got away with it and then heard the thud. My mate had his camcorder but that was the only lap he didn't film. Glad the car wasn't damaged too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad i didnt see it! Think i might have cried!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Rich - what brake fluid are you using? I found using APs DOT5.1 (and other makes) I got brake fade - I was dissapointed with my AP becasue of that - but I now use Castrol Racing DOT 4 and it lasts a lot longer - you just have to change it more often. (Ferrodo DS2500 pads on AP brakes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently using ATE super blue fluid, Hawk HPS/HP+ pads... changing pads for Pagis race pads..see if they make any difference...also will be upgrading rears to ECS Stage 1R

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Im just well happy that i got a car that can challenge an RS4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif even if it isnt quicker, it still poses a threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

it certainly does - now stop giving everyone the message otherwise we'll have a track full of IHI A3's to contend with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bad enough with those tuned S3's...

All this makes me seriously think about investing in a Mark 2 Golf GTI project for a spot of track fun..

[ QUOTE ]

Simon, next track day hows about you passenger my car and i'll passenger yours... just to compare!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif By then will have the suspension sorted hopefully!

[/ QUOTE ]

you're on - will look forward to it (will you still have the earth shattering induction system on?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) - I'll warn you now though that I'd not expect any thrills from my RS though - Also, Quattro is not the superb system everyone makes it out to be.

Gotta be something I can beat you at - ah yes the RR session (or will you have fixed the boost leak by then?) My BHP will certainly be lower than John's though!

[ QUOTE ]
simont said:
[ QUOTE ]
Im just well happy that i got a car that can challenge an RS4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif even if it isnt quicker, it still poses a threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

it certainly does - now stop giving everyone the message otherwise we'll have a track full of IHI A3's to contend with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bad enough with those tuned S3's...

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

All this makes me seriously think about investing in a Mark 2 Golf GTI project for a spot of track fun..

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt be the first time i had that thought! Would be good fun!

[ QUOTE ]

Simon, next track day hows about you passenger my car and i'll passenger yours... just to compare!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif By then will have the suspension sorted hopefully!

[/ QUOTE ]

you're on - will look forward to it (will you still have the earth shattering induction system on?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) - I'll warn you now though that I'd not expect any thrills from my RS though - Also, Quattro is not the superb system everyone makes it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ] Great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes will still have it on... works well! easily copes with the power. RS4 power will be completely different to mine... alot less lag..however this doesnt matter on the track as im always in the power band. As for Quattro...it is over rated sometimes, but it does mean you can go quick in the wet! I'll have racelogic fully working then too so can make the most of it...hope for a dry day!

[ QUOTE ]

Gotta be something I can beat you at - ah yes the RR session (or will you have fixed the boost leak by then?) My BHP will certainly be lower than John's though!

[/ QUOTE ]

You win! Figures arent fair! My weight advantage doesnt play an part here!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Got any more of that session? I'm in the car behind Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
Got any more of that session? I'm in the car behind Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the F*CKING FAST car behind Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the F*CKING FAST car behind Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True that.

If your A3 is fast as f*ck, then I must be f*cking fast as f*ck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I didn't realise your car made that noise mate, you could suck in small children I reckon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
If your A3 is fast as f*ck, then I must be f*cking fast as f*ck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definately! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't realise your car made that noise mate, you could suck in small children I reckon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Reckon a few hedge hogs are walking around bald! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dwarfslapper said:
I guess your the one in front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Time for a BIGGER turbo Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers dwarfslapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
docurley said:
Another pic

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?

Here's what the morning session looked like, despite getting soaked taking photos I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
This image shows how much rain fell mid-morning!

[ QUOTE ]
officedog said:
picture from the day....

audi_international.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

OFFICEDOG.......you will like this!
your A3 did well I was too nervous to try anything in the wet but still I have a few mods to keep up the pace a stock 225 would struggle...

Turn up the sound! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.wak-tt.com/cc20040918/cc2004b.wmv

Thats Vid 3... more on this page
http://www.wak-tt.com/cc20040918/cc20040918.htm