When is the next Meet in Scotland?

Doug_RS2

Reaction score
It is all a bit quiet - has everyone sold their Audis?

Could do with a run and/or a RR session?

Could do with a shot in yer passenger chair Kind Sir!!!!

Nice Car!!

No problem 28v6 - we just need a meet organised!

What was the Audi Ecosse club like you have in your profile? Did you organise any track days or private airfield days up here?

Spoke to David, it's looking like September now. Seems it's hard getting dates when we're all about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The weekend of September 18th is a no-go for me as I will be on track at Castle Combe.

We'll never get a date to suit everyone! We should just set and date and be done with it or we'll never get a meet organised!

There are some Special Track Nights (Cars worth £10,000 or more) comming up at Knockhill on the following dates;
August 26th 6pm - 8pm
September 7th 6pm - 8pm
September 30th 4pm - 6pm

This may not suit everyone just an idea. Some may even go on track. Usually a few Scooby's and Cossie's to go up against, but no old Nova's or Pugs.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Stepho,

like the rims mate! Sounds like a good idea. Had a meet at Knockhill b4, was alright.

Alright Doug, nop not sold the car yet! Still hangin on in there! Hows the brief running? Still Monsterous?

How about a meet at Crail or Edzell? 1/4 mile race stylee?

Sunday 03 October - Fast Car Magazine Day @ Crail
Sunday 10 October - Edzell
Sunday 17 October - Classic/Fast Ford @ Crail
Sunday 24 October - Edzell
Sunday 31 October - Max Power @ Crail

To be honest, I think Edzell will be better than Crail, as Crail always seems to have magazine days or organised events which means it will be very busy.

Edzell tends to be more quiet so you don't have to wait ages to get a run up the strip (which is in better condition than Crail also).

Edzell is better on the waiting time and track condition (and is less distance from Aberdeen) however, it doesn't have a drift oval /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Edzell is better on the waiting time and track condition (and is less distance from Aberdeen) however, it doesn't have a drift oval /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought this was going to be an Audi meet... as in show off you German steed? None of this 'Welcome to Drift Club' nonsense!

Why can't we just meet up for a drive?

I can't make the 24th October (or 23rd), but so far other days are good.

Grant the strip at Crail isn't bad atol. Yes the road back to the start is a little bumpy but not everyone wants to Colin McCrae it back to the starting line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fast Car is usually a great day, Max is too busy (45min - 1hr waiting time). Loads of folk there to 'show off you German Stead' (also lots of skantily dress females!)

David R, where did you get your S3 from? Do you prefer it over the S4?

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Grant the strip at Crail isn't bad atol. Yes the road back to the start is a little bumpy but not everyone wants to Colin McCrae it back to the starting line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fast Car is usually a great day, Max is too busy (45min - 1hr waiting time). Loads of folk there to 'show off you German Stead' (also lots of skantily dress females!)

David R, where did you get your S3 from? Do you prefer it over the S4?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fast car days are good for posing but not for driving. To be honest, I'm not a great fan of the 1/4 mile runs - get me a trackday everytime.

The S3 is very diffrerent to the S4. Handling is in a different league altogether. S4 faster in a straight line though (12.8s 1/4 mile @ 110mph). I have a kind of cyclothymic car taste, going from a well handling car to a very fast one and back again...

Re meet - I'm easy for any of the above so long as I'm not working...

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Seems a fair assessment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so...

[ QUOTE ]

(accounts for the lowly GTi internation figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think they were especially low...compared to the cars running, using power to weight ratios, driven wheels and gearing, I thought they were representative.

Not the best...but respectable considering the luggage, assorted purchased goods, spare boating shoes etc contained within the boot!

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
So, Crail or Edzells 1/4 mile times are about as accurate as certain dyno printouts we cound mention?

Have I ruffled any feathers yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly ruffled here matey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ping.....Pong.....Ping......

I have seen a S4 go at Crail, don't know mods or anything, but it sure did go. On the same token I also watched an S4 struggle to stay with a standard (appart from upgraded brakes) 225 TT on Knockhill one night.

Obviously two completely different beasts.

I am real surprized the S3 gave the S4 such a good run (120mph story). My old boys showroom has had a few S4's in, and they are quick!

Anyway returning to topic... Meet before santa starts to cruise his shiney sledge around town?

PS Whats wrong with big shiney wheels? They are only an inch bigger than yours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Ah, I see. Spare boating shoes are a moderately dense extra weight in the wrong place... You should have worn them, they would have been closer to the centre of gravity then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Had it been the handling course I was on, rest assured I would have worn them!

The old boating shoes must have aded to the 'captain' effect when floating the S4 around, surely? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:

I am real surprized the S3 gave the S4 such a good run (120mph story). My old boys showroom has had a few S4's in, and they are quick!

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur with Dave that the S4 gets off the line faster...but once rolling, there was very little between the two up to about 120 MPH. The S4 IS faster...of that there is no doubt...just not as much as I had thought (This was a standard S4 also, don't forget, not the tweaked beast!)

Certainly not 1.5 seconds worth of difference at 100MHP... unless a car length and a bit equals 1.5 seconds, in which case the S3 must be a veeeeerrrrryyyy long car!

[ QUOTE ]

PS Whats wrong with big shiney wheels? They are only an inch bigger than yours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohh!
25mm of pure unadulterated bling.

I'll stick with light unsprung weight and better handling thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There is an Event on This weekend at Knockhill, which is central and suits most folk for travelling to and from. I was going to go down to Castle Combe but finances are streached this month./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I will be taking a jont up to Knockhill on Saturday. Anyone interested is more than welcome to come along, usualy a good day. Shall we say the usual meeting points?

Meet points;
1 - Strathclyde Park Holiday Inn car park -- 08:50 -> 09:00
2 - Little Chef Cumbernauld services -- 09:20 -> 09:30
3 - Brewers Fayre car park Before Kirkardine Bridge -- 10:00 -> 10:10

East coast peeps usualy meet at McD's at the Forth Bridge. Then all meet up at the paddock area in Knockhill

Hope to see a few turning out as we are getting nowhere trying to arrange something.

P.S.- Mark R, nice to meet you yesterday took me a little by surprise.

ATB
Stepho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
... because you had a boot full of luggage perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it...a bootfull of luggage can only weigh a few stones.

[ QUOTE ]

I thought your dyno results of 275bhp and 332+ lbs/ft torque was when you were running 1.85 bar on Jim's rollers... not on the road. Were you running 1.85 bar when you joined in the "motorsport for those with very little driving ability and even less mechanical symphathy"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you'd bother to listen when you ask me all the details of such things as N75s you would have heard me say that I couldn't get it to run on the road when building up boost from low revs, but it was OK for flat out blasts...no limp mode.
How do I know this?
By trying it...you should know it takes no time at all to change an N75 using no more than a flat blade screwdriver - is it so surprising that it can be changed proir to a quick blast?

So the answer to your smart ***** comment: Yes, I was running 'high boost' but it wasn't 1.85bar, recently with the N75H it was running 1.89bar. Not a huge difference...but then again, I didn't bring it up! You did.

Also, I've never had a dyno show 275 BHP. Maybe I should move to another dyno...

[ QUOTE ]

If it "ain't your thing at all", why did you race? Was it to try and prove you have the fastest S3 on here/at GTI International?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no Grant...you see some of us actually leave the local area and are aware that there are some very special S3s out there. I would love mine to kick out 350+ BHP...but it doesn't.
I feel I have nothing to prove. I let the car / my driving do that.

I wasn't aware hammering up a 1/4 mile (or whatever measurement they decide to use as a substitute for a 1/4 mile) was racing.
Surely that's an insult to racing drivers worldwide?

But, you know, sometimes you have to keep trying things just to remind yourself how boring they are...that's all part of being human.

Unlike some people, I have never made an issue of the speed of the S3...it's quick. That's it.
I'm not the one who has the - no doubt self styled - reputation for having the "Fastest S3 in Aberdeen".
I wonder whare that come from?

[ QUOTE ]

I take it you are having a dig at me, because I am the only one with an AmD remap that was running at Edzell at the weekend!

[/ QUOTE ]

If the cap fits!
Oh, bless. You are a sensitive soul...do you think everyone is out to have a go at you? Shame.
Don't take things so personally...unless of course your ego really does take a hit.

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel you need to attack Edzell's 1/4 mile distance, timing equipment and conditions just because I got a better 1/4 mile time? It's ok to come 2nd once in a while Glen!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is Grant.
That's why I said I leave the car / driver to do the talking - not have to parade over inflated power figures / quarter mile times to 'big me up'.
Paper proof is great...but it's out on the road that it counts....as you well know.

I feel it's unfair for Crail / Edzell to short change people over their times. If you take the 1/4 mile seriously, and prepare for a big meeting 'darn sarf' using the times dished out at Crail / Edzell, you will be dissapointed with the results.
I don't feel that's good practice.

As I said, if all people want is another line to add to their signature to make them feel good, great! But if people want a serious pointer to their car's 1/4 mile performance, they are being shafted.

[ QUOTE ]

Bearing in mind I was running on 17" Avus wheels (not my "bling/camp wine bar" 19s and I also had the spare wheel out. You had an abundance of luggage and still hit the 14s - you should be pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why run on the 17" Grant?
You were the one telling up there's no difference running 19s over the standard 17s.
Was it to get the gearing down a bit?
To save unsprung weight?
Or to save a bit of wear in those precious 19" tyres?

...and you had the spare out?
A representitive sprint time then?
Do you normally drive with no spare wheel and on the standard wheels? Or was these measures not to reduce your time and hence get a better paper time that bears no resemblence to the car's performance in road trim?
Surely theres a comparison to having an artificially low 1/4 mile time here somewhere?

As for running in the 14s...I am content that in my view, the times I achieved is about right for a car weighing what an S3 does, with the power / torque it has, with the gearing it has, and with the grip it has.
I am in no way unhappy with my times...they were similar to Rich's, which is what you'd expect given the relative weights, conditions etc.
I also believe them to be reasonably accurate.

[ QUOTE ]

I quoted my 1/4 time because a lot of people on here seem to wonder what a remapped S3 can achieve - not because I need an ego massage!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
Sorry, not convinced.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Yes. If you'd bother to listen when you ask me all the details of such things as N75s you would have heard me say that I couldn't get it to run on the road when building up boost from low revs, but it was OK for flat out blasts...no limp mode.
How do I know this?
By trying it...you should know it takes no time at all to change an N75 using no more than a flat blade screwdriver - is it so surprising that it can be changed proir to a quick blast?

So the answer to your smart ***** comment: Yes, I was running 'high boost' but it wasn't 1.85bar, recently with the N75H it was running 1.89bar. Not a huge difference...but then again, I didn't bring it up! You did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why run ‘high boost’ at GTI International when you can’t run that sort of boost on the road. Surely that bears no resemblence to the car's performance in road trim – as you put it! A paper time perhaps?

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Also, I've never had a dyno show 275 BHP. Maybe I should move to another dyno...

[/ QUOTE ]
You’ve never had a dyno showing 275bhp? – neither have I, but it was you that quoted that figure in your previous post!

You really are pretentious and patronising! If anyone dares challenge you, you seem to love to shoot them down by telling them how wrong they are or by having a dig at them – but only if the cap fits apparently!

So what if I put an extra line in my sig. Are you going to have a go at everyone else who adds something to their sig? How about Rich's sig "300bhp Audi A3! Fast as F*CK!"? Have you had a dig at him yet?

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
"300bhp Audi A3! Fast as F*CK!"? Have you had a dig at him yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant have a go at FACT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
"300bhp Audi A3! Fast as F*CK!"? Have you had a dig at him yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant have a go at FACT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Also though, it does depend on exaclty how fast 'F*CK' is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I'll gey my coat...

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
No I haven't finished...

[/ QUOTE ]

Groan...

If you take offence to my gentle ribbing, you should say so privately.
I would hate to think that any of my 'pretentious and patronising' manner as actually, genuinely, causing offence to anyone. If there are such delicate souls out there, I apologise profusely.

On the subject, I agree I am guilty of being patronising. And condescending, sarcastic, curt, intolerant and when deserved, thoroughly obnoxious.
I am not however, pretentious. Never have been, never will be.

I give you no more 'snide comments' than I give anyone else on here...I have had some most interesting ding-dongs with many people on here...normally it comes down to the difference between go and show.
Don't take things so personally...I'm not having a go at you personally. I don't hear Stevie, Dave, or any of the Eastside 'massif' getting bent out of shape about my comments.
To me - and those who also enjoy a bit of "mild insult tennis" - it's all part of the craic.

Jeez...if you take offence when I'm sober...I'd hate to think whats going to happen at the next meet / p1ss-up!
(Flameproof suit essensial, prisoners are not taken!)

Personally, I think your car looks stunning on the 19s and I'm impressed with your times, especially considering it was your first go (but of course I'll never admit that in public! Doh!)
But that doesn't prevent me from poking playful jibes at your 'Bling Chariot' (Heavy *** wheels, pimp tints, mobile posing pouch, etc) or believing that Crail / Edzell's times are straight out of the nearest fairytale book.

Or maybe this place isn't what it used to be...and I should just leave?

Well, I'm with Glen on the 1/4 mile figures. Having run the S4 at crail and edzell I am confident the figures would not have been repeatable at GTI international for whatever reason. Maybe the crail figures are accurate (but given the number of times my rear wheel tripped the lights and gave me a 0.4s 60ft time I doubt it) or maybe GTI did run a 1/3mile strip - who cares, it comes down to another example of a lack of objectivity when it comes to figures attached to cars...

Dynos are right up there in my list of measures that are +/- huge innacuracies (and the number of my friends who will only show off their "highest" / "most fictitious" result becomes tedious)

Don't take personal offence at what is written here, it is all light hearted (see my avatar)... You fit bling wheels then the bling boys will drool and the back road demons will deride... Each to their own...

I'm waiting to here the Oracles comments on my new steed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stepho said:
P.S.- Mark R, nice to meet you ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you to. Sure there will be a meet, sometime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Doubt I'll make Saturday though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif