Badger5AH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

New to detailing - advice and questions

ok, so I've spent the night looking up on what I want to do with my car now. I have a few questions and I'm also looking for some advice on what I need for my requirements.

Foam Lance
    I already have a karcher so foam lance seems like the right way to go. However, what's the difference between the lance Juicy sells and the lance that karcher do as standard available for circa £15 on ebay? I see it has brass fittings but what advantages will a novice notice?

I currently have an A3 in lava red, it has some swirl marks and I'd say good - average body work. Compared to the cars on your website it is pi$$ poor, however it certainly comes up well with a wash.

As I'm new to detailing what sort of products should I be looking to purchase to begin with? I'm looking to build up my collection as time goes by. I currently have an array of AutoGlym products so my plan is to replace as I go along. As it runs out I'll be buying from JD.

I want to keep the car protected in the winter and keep it at it's best going from here with possibly trying to bring the paintwork back up to a better quality bearing in mind the previous owner couldn't use a boot properly and thought the tailgate was a storage place for his rock collection

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sideways

Status
    I've got the juicy lance, and its a quality piece of kit. What's your budget, and how far do you want to go with the detailing? You could go down the route of filling the swirls and then finishing, or get a machine and have a go at polishing them out. Be warned though, it's a slippery expensive slope.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    To be honest I have no idea how far I want to take it. I'd like to get rid of the swirls and also the scratches on the tailgate. Looking at them I believe they will come out rather than a respray. I'll try to get some decent photos this afternoon but the sun isn't playing ball at the moment.

I can imagine it's a slipperly slope, just the same as tuning. I plan on a remap at one stage as well but all the whilst I have warranty on the car and I'm happy with it I will leave it. As soon as I'm bored then the DPF will be coming out and I'll be getting a decent remap on there too.

My main query is what difference will a beginner see with high end quality products. We all know you get what you pay for but there is no point me buying all singing all dancing equipment if I don't know how to use / care for it at first. I'd rather buy cheaper, learn it, break it, then buy something with a few more 0's at the end of the price tag. By the same standard, I don't want to buy cheap and nasty, have it fail and put me off buying the better gear.

Sideways

Status
    If you're looking to remove the swirls then its probably an idea to invest in a da. Juicy do a few kits which are good value. It's also a good idea to get over on detailing world and read a few guides, maybe even find a beginners course. For me my favourite products for red so far are, clearkote red moose machine glaze topped with Victoria wax red concours.

by the time you've bought a lance and foam, a polisher kit, and a few essentials you'll probably be past the £300 mark already.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    £300's not so bad, I'd probably buy over time as I've already got some wax and polish and the like to use up. But thanks for the advice, I'm going to head over to google and get some guides on the basics