Quoted £950 for Std 07 S3, 5Ncb, 32yrs, seems high?

JamesBaby

Reaction score
Does this seem reasonable?, I had heard of folks getting around £700 or less.

I have 2 SP30's, no accidents, 5 yrs ncb.

I would think thats pretty high. I'm 30, 5y ncb, 4 points (sp30) and been quoted £450 on my V8 S4. Suppose a lot depends on where you live though...

6 points will be the killer there I reckon. How many miles per year and location?

Hi
The 2 SP30's are with 3 points, and 4 points so 7 in total. Location Huddersfield. 15k per year.

That'll be the reasons. Relatively above average miles, not sure on Huddersfield, but 7 points is high (no offense pal).

Put it this way, mine, 23, 4ncb, 8k per year, £8k car, location in Cheshire. That's £750 on an older car.

I'm 43 with an 05 A3 3.2 with no points, no claims/accidents and 12+years no claims bonus and tbh insurance is ridiculous. I live in Bradford so not far from you and the best I can get is around £650 with most quotes coming out just under a grand!
Best ones for me are Swiftcover and RAC

I'm 43 with an 05 A3 3.2 with no points, no claims/accidents and 12+years no claims bonus and tbh insurance is ridiculous. I live in Bradford so not far from you and the best I can get is around £650 with most quotes coming out just under a grand!
Best ones for me are Swiftcover and RAC

That is very expensive does that include your mod's???

As i am 32years old, 9 years ncb, all mods declared live in the bolton area and cost me £475 per year with greenlight...

Yes that's with mods declared, although swiftcover don't cover suspension mods as a rule.
TBH the main problem I have is the postcode. I live in a nice area and the car is garaged, but the same postcode covers some parts that are not so nice and so it comes out as a refer on the postcode list.
Funniest quote I got was through qwik-fit at £2500!!!!!!

Greenlight won't touch my area!!

http://www.visitcars.co.uk/car-insurance/insurance-post-code-risk.html

Madness how the area/postcode effect insurance premiums! Me and my missus both have 6 points each, 11 years NCB, under £500 for my 8L S3 with all mods(including remap, suspension and brakes) declared!

i have a HD1 post code and when i got a price at my mums HD5 it was £600 :puke:a year less for a a4 1.8t

I just renewed my policy on my 59 S3. I'm 25 £1700. Sucks.

Don't know what your all complaining about lol :ninja:

OP - £950s not bad mate for your two SP30s.

It's madness at the moment. I'm in a small town, '07 S3, 14 Yrs NCB, zero points or claims, 36 Yrs old and most seem to be struggling to get under £900! That's 40% more than I paid last Year and I've had no points or claims since then! :uhm: :banghead:

Madness. I've got a few around the £6-700 mark, so I'm with one of those.:shrug:

Last edited:
In all honesty, if insurance was near or over £1k to insure my 8L S3, then it's time to sell! It's not a £1k to insure car, infact, since passing my test, I've never paid over £1k for insurance, most was £800 odd for a BMW 318IS Coupe when I was 23, it went upto £1500 the year after, and I swopped it for the S3 I have now which was quicker and £750 to insure F/C.

Regarding the SP30's, I think you will find a high percentage of people have points on their licence, it's very normal, the premium goes up by 20-50 quid only, it's 'bans' and 'drink/dangerous driving' that carries heavy penalties. SP30's and running red lights are nothing in comparison.

Try Tesco!

Im 23 with 4 years NC, 6 points and paid £850 before mods (see sig) and now its £1100 with the mrs who has only been driving 18 months!

I would shop around!

That's ****** good considering the likely bhp increase that your mods have given you.

I'm 37 with full no claims and a clean licence living in the North West. Car is a standard 08 S3 and is insured for between 20-25,000 miles per annum with my wife as a named driver (36, clean licence) and protected NCB and its costing me £518 with Zurich. Swiftcover were cheaper but i wanted to go with a more established name on such a high risk car.

That surprises me from Zurich. Just come away from them after 3 years. Saved a lot of money (four figure sum) on the five cars in a Multicar Policy with Admiral . . .

Zurich told me my S3 would be £1,250, with Admiral it's £750 . . . go figure.

i'm 28, 4years ncb, no points and paying £541 on a A3 3.2v6 2004 plate. yours does seem a tad high even with 7 points.

give sky a ring (the sponsors of this forum)

That surprises me from Zurich. Just come away from them after 3 years. Saved a lot of money (four figure sum) on the five cars in a Multicar Policy with Admiral . . .

Zurich told me my S3 would be £1,250, with Admiral it's £750 . . . go figure.

Different insurance companies favour different postcodes and drivers, which is why we have to shop around for the best deal, or we'd just stick with the same company year in year out! They cannot give you the best price on renewal can they? It's all moneymaking, and if they are desperate to get you as a customer, they will make an attempt to beat your 'other' quotes over the phone, which can't be done online.

Understandable Joe mate, still wastes so much time.

Agree with that.

I tried Sky last week - they were £200 more than I can get from other reputable insurers. And I've tried most of 'em now...

:search:

Well I hunted around a bit more after reading the suggestions and have managed to get a quote at £830. I will try Tesco and Zurich next and see if I can get it below £750.
(Protected NCB is an Extra £120 at many places.....wth!)

James - I looked at this and my findings were as follows;

Insurance for the above (23, 4NCB) was £750.

The above + protected no claims was £890.

For an accident, it goes down by 2NCB = 2 NCB, so new price next year at 24, 2NCB was £780 . . .

So £140 for NCB protection, or £30 if I'm not protected and have a bump. Didn't see the point and the same came out of the horses mouth (Admiral representative).

Finally! Greenlight quoted me happy at £557 protected :rock:

Low XS, mods friendly, hire car, legal cover etc. And the company they quoted (Highway) deal with their own claims rather than hiving them off to a third party claims agency.

Anyone heard of Highway insurance? :search:They've just been bought by Liverpool Victoria (LV) who were helpful with me previously.

For info, Zurich wanted £930, Tesco £660, Admiral £740 guaranteed NCB, Sky £930, A-Plan £900ish & Direct Line £1030. Quite some differences.

Circa £400 difference shows what a mine field insurance really is. There is no way a company can offer £400 worth of extra service.

Understandable Joe mate, still wastes so much time.

Lets face it though, you waste 30minutes to 1 hour on the phone and can possibly save yourself £200, always look for a landline to call, not the 08 starting numbers and use your mobile and cane your free minutes(everyone has these right?).
There's never been a year I haven't made a saving by calling around and playing all the insurers against each other. At the end of the quote, you always say you are shopping around, and they will says 'call us back if you find a better quote, and see if we can beat it!', which suggests to me it's no their best price!

James - I looked at this and my findings were as follows;

Insurance for the above (23, 4NCB) was £750.

The above + protected no claims was £890.

For an accident, it goes down by 2NCB = 2 NCB, so new price next year at 24, 2NCB was £780 . . .

So £140 for NCB protection, or £30 if I'm not protected and have a bump. Didn't see the point and the same came out of the horses mouth (Admiral representative).

Cheers for the info. Yeah makes sense, I too will sack the protected NCB.

Cheers for the info. Yeah makes sense, I too will sack the protected NCB.

It's not as simple as that, if you make a claim on your insurance, it's -2yrs NCB and +30% on your premium for making a claim! After the first year of NCB, any additional year of NCB is -10% of your full insurance premium, so if it's £1500 to insure with no NCB, +30%(for making a claim), so call it £2k to insure, those 2years NCB is worth appox £400 per annum for the next 5 years.

I guess if you never plan to make a claim, even in the event of an accident, then it's pointless paying for protected bonus, but never say never... sh1t happens.

It may not be as simple as I posted Joe, but that was the quote from Admiral. So my advice would be ask how many NCB you loose by making a claim and put yourself in the same position, one year older with -2NCB.

Basically, do your homework!

+agreed on the never say never. I've never crashed. But I have been crashed into, twice, both at roundabouts = 50:50 no matter how much you shout and scream (in my experience).

:|

Im 19, 1year on my licence, 1yr NCB and im only £745 for my 2.0 L TDI Q Sport.. with Aviva fully comp, everything im my name, with my Dad as an additional driver. Without him its something like £780

Direct Line were wanting £900 of me for my 1.0L Corsa!!!!!

21 accident 2 years ncb and im 1k to insure the s3 fully comp, even with some mods :)