JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    A3 Newbie... Haa

Status

17 yrs old - 1.8T quattro

Hi,
    i plan to buy the car next yr at 18,
    has any one been in the same position??
    and what was the best quote/deal that you could get?

Any help much appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    i had a a3 2.0 TDI at 18 and that was just over 1k.
    was planing on a 1.8T Golf and that was about Ł1300 (180bhp).
    TT was Ł1650.
    And my Type R at 19 is Ł1300.

Just need to hunt and find the right quote
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    As if the TT was Ł1650... I was looking at a TT 1.8 and although I was paying Ł1200 for a 1.9TDI A3 it was Ł2400 for the TT!

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    I was in the same position and decided to get a 1.6, wait and get a 1.8TQS in a couple of years. I just couldn't justify insurance that was more than the car itself.
    Last edited by TDIQ; 18th November 2009 at 16:59.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

If In doubt, Flat out!

Status
    I'm coming up 19, been doing quotes, cheapest i've has is Ł890 for an a3 1.8t, or Ł980 for a quattro. Last year, it was Ł1800, if they'd quote me at all. So without wanting to burst your bubble, but good luck , unless you want to pay over Ł2500 insurance. I paid Ł1600 on a bloody rover 214 in my 1st year!!!! lol fair play if you can though!=)

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Wai-Fan's Instagram Channel
    Gonna be quite hard to find some cheap quotes for that at your age. When I checked for a 1.8T at 19 it was about Ł1500, but I went for a 2.0 TDi instead. Also as already been said, it would be pointless buying insurance worth more than the car itself. I would suggest getting a little runabout for a year and then have a look. An extra years no claims makes a massive difference and you'll probably have better choices when you come to buy.
    2006/2008 - 52 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX, Platinum Silver

2008 - 04 Audi A3 8P1 2.0 TDi (140) Sport, Mauritius Blue

2013 - 2010 Audi B8 S4, Quartz Grey

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4191 View Post
    I'm coming up 19, been doing quotes, cheapest i've has is Ł890 for an a3 1.8t, or Ł980 for a quattro. Last year, it was Ł1800, if they'd quote me at all. So without wanting to burst your bubble, but good luck , unless you want to pay over Ł2500 insurance. I paid Ł1600 on a bloody rover 214 in my 1st year!!!! lol fair play if you can though!=)

where are you getting these quotes from? thats very very cheap!

If In doubt, Flat out!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Plunky View Post
    where are you getting these quotes from? thats very very cheap!
    Been messing around on Confused.com. The cheap ones are Admiral and Elephant.com.

Currently insured with Norwich Union (Aviva) Ł900... cheap! lol All fully comp, 8000 miles.

3rd Gear

Status
    i dont see how you've got insurance with aviva for Ł900.
    i just called them up, bare in mind i'm Ł20 so i'm older than you are and they refused insurance because i'm under 21 on a a3 1.8t
    please explain.. :D

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ajda3 View Post
    Hi,
    i plan to buy the car next yr at 18,
    has any one been in the same position??
    and what was the best quote/deal that you could get?

Any help much appreciated
    I was in the same position as you when i was 17 and wanted more power then the 1.6 and wanted to get a FWD 1.8T but managed to end up with the S3 instead? Anyhow i cant complain, but if I was in your shoes i would go for a FWD 1.8T or a 1.9TDi as the insureance is a big drop just to have the Quattro version.

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    How on earth are you getting quotes for that car? My cousin just passed, same age and he can't get insured for under 2k on a 1.0litre corsa!! S reg too!!

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tku View Post
    How on earth are you getting quotes for that car? My cousin just passed, same age and he can't get insured for under 2k on a 1.0litre corsa!! S reg too!!
    Young drivers are easy money for the Insureance companies....Thats why when people say "Your an idiot for paying ŁX on insureance, Just wait untill your older" etc etc, I just say "Well any insureance for me will be over Ł1500 anyway so im better off buying a better car and getting my moneys worth instead of buying a Ł200 fiesta and paying over Ł1000 on insureance...." Mines up for renewal on the 22nd and ive been looking at some quotes .

If In doubt, Flat out!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Plunky View Post
    i dont see how you've got insurance with aviva for Ł900.
    i just called them up, bare in mind i'm Ł20 so i'm older than you are and they refused insurance because i'm under 21 on a a3 1.8t
    please explain.. :D
    LOL! Mine is a 2.4. I can't honestly remember whether or not they would quote me on a 1.8T. Maybe not, hence I have this. Can't really remember too well atm though to be honest.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    One word. Expensive. Bloody insurance companies! I remember those days and don't miss them one bit!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Shouldn't be too much trouble, I managed to get myself on an unlimited trade policy two days after my driving test and have insured a 340BHP Saab 900 Turbo, a 1.9TDI A3 and a BMW 635CSI and I'm only 18.

Just depends how much you want the car, I was paying Ł129 a week to insure my Mk2 Golf GTI with all mods declared.

Do you want a flash car or do you want a life ? Now I want a life, forget the flash cars !
    Last edited by 16Klappe; 7th January 2010 at 20:41.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Shouldn't be too much trouble, I managed to get myself on an unlimited trade policy two days after my driving test and have insured a 340BHP Saab 900 Turbo, a 1.9TDI A3 and a BMW 635CSI and I'm only 18.

Just depends how much you want the car, I was paying Ł129 a week to insure my Mk2 Golf GTI with all mods declared.

Do you want a flash car or do you want a life ? Now I want a life, forget the flash cars !

A Ł129 a week? Ł516 a month? Ł6192 a year? Surely not? or have I read wrong?

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

That was insured fully comp, with TPFT cover on other vehicles and with all mods declared. There were lots of mods, very hot 8V, VR6 brakes, recaros, billies, custom exhaust etc etc etc ! Oh, and it was only a few months after my driving test haha !

I miss that car

Then never do them.

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Nice car, But in all respect No way would I pay that for a years insurance. Thats supercar money, Your money tho. The most i ever paid was Ł1600 when i was 18 for a 1.2 punto sporting,I insured the audi last year for Ł600 fully comp, Renewals due in march and i'l be 25 lets hope it drops!

Out of intrest did you sell MK2?
    Last edited by Mick a3; 14th January 2010 at 20:56.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Yeah, looking back it was ridiculous ! I could have bought myself a new Audi on finance for less money than I paid to insure that thing, but I like to play a little game with my friends of "how high can Jardo get his insurance?" haha !

I sold the Mk2, one day I was driving along and the water light popped on and I went under the bonnet and checked and it was slowly dripping out but I couldn't pin point where from. I filled it up with water and it never lost an ounce right up until the day I sold it ! It had perfect compression on all cylinders and wasn't loosing water into the oil etc etc but it started to idle really REALLY lumpy and started to pop and spit flames much larger than usual on over-run so I sold it as seen for no money at all

Should have kept it really, the perfect car for me really and I racked up over 5K in the two months I had it !

Then never do them.

A3 Newbie... Haa

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    i had a a3 2.0 TDI at 18 and that was just over 1k.
    was planing on a 1.8T Golf and that was about Ł1300 (180bhp).
    TT was Ł1650.
    And my Type R at 19 is Ł1300.

Just need to hunt and find the right quote
    Hi thanks for everyones help
    how the hell did u manage to get Ł1300 at 18?
    i'm 18 next month and with both parents as named drivers and mileage at 4000
    they are still quoting Ł2300!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tku View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!

I got insured on my 1.4 fiesta 03 plate at 18 and it cost me Ł5,300 a year, is it because i don't use named drivers?

And I've just paid Ł2,750 to get my 2.0TDI A3 insured for a year!!!

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Fairly sure the Golfs are a lower insurance group than the Audis.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi im 19, 1 year no claims 8000 miles 9000, fully comp 1.8t s audi a3....

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am getting a 1.8 tfsi s line, i am 19 years old and have 0 no claims with a crash, it is going to cost me Ł1200 to insure, which i guess is not too bad.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by luke1234 View Post
    I am getting a 1.8 tfsi s line, i am 19 years old and have 0 no claims with a crash, it is going to cost me Ł1200 to insure, which i guess is not too bad.
    As a named driver ?

Then never do them.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Nope, i am the main driver on the policy ... bell and admiral are coming out around the same price.

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Not bad! I hate insureance at a young age! Maybe when im 19 it will go down a little

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by S3 HODGE View Post
    Not bad! I hate insureance at a young age!

I don't mind paying the insurance at all, the cost is irrelevant because if I want the car I'll have it. But what annoys me is when people think they have to drive a rubbish car because they're young, or constantly go on at you about the insurance being more than the cars worth and stuff like that. Every time somebody says that to me I just tell them to do one, its so annoying!

Then never do them.

Neutral

Status
    I paid Ł1600 Norwich Union then Ł1400 Direct Line on the 1.0 Corsa at 17 & 18 (named). With the 1.8TQS Ł1500 at 19 with 0NCB with admiral, Ł1100 with 1NCB and TPFT on other cars at 20 with Bell and my renewal is in March - looking around Ł800-950 at 21 2NCB. Checked out a multicar policy with admiral and that took it down to about Ł650!
    2001 A3 1.8T TQS
    1998 A8 2.8 Auto

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Just reading through some of these (OK OK so I read just the first few ) but I am amazed how cheap people's insurance was?!

My Clio 1.2 at 17 was 1500. This barely dropped over 2/3 years of driving and I am now paying 750 on my S3, aged 23 (24 in Aug) and 4NCB. . . Searched around (and I know Sky don't cover me, Hi Ollie, this is JD from Cliosport) and Admiral multi car was the cheapest.

But this still sounds like a hell of a lot, from what's been posted on here?!

Neutral

Status
    im also amazed how cheap they are... i'm 19, just got myself a 1.8t sport and im paying Ł1400 a year fully comp... cheapest by far, i checked all the insurance companies i could. nothing cheaper..

2nd Gear

Status
    how on earth do you guys get your insurance soooooooooooooooo! CHEAP?
    i am 23 with 4 years no claims and i pay Ł1000 fully comp for my A3 2.0T quattro sportback