Non fault claim

dieselguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if non fault claims will increase the premium by a significant amount? The NCB will be reduced but do you get penalised a lot more for making a claim?

Car was damaged in a parking garage. So will have to make a claim. Since the insurance company can't get the money back (no note of course) I presume I will end up expecting a big increase in premium on renewal.....:banghead:

Unfortunately this scenario would be treated as a fault claim because there's no third party to claim from. You'll have to decide whether the damage is enough to warrant a claim as you'll have to pay an excess.

Thanks for the info, it's good to know these things before I make the decision.

If I was you I would get a quote for the works then make the decision whether to claim or not. You will pay your excess, lose ncb and increase your premium for the next few years.
It may well work out cheaper to pay for the damage yourself.

Thanks, sounds like the logical thing to do.
It's about making the best of a bad situation now....

In my current situation its unlikely that I will go through the insurance although I have made them aware of what has happened.
My repair bill is around £1500, minus my £250 excess, ncb loss and possible premium increase of around £600 for the next few years it will work out cheaper in the long run just to pay it myself, though I am hoping to get my money back in the courts.

Was wondering what happened to you..... Then found your post about the little ***** scratching your car.
Sorry to read it, but at least they are caught on camera so hopefully you can get the money back. The young offenders will probably only get a caution, but still, they shouldn't get away with this despicable act.

Yes, always best to check with your insurers to see what the effect of making a claim would be financially over the next few years before deciding whether to put it through the insurance or not.

Some internet insurers have loadings for non-fault claims as well as the increase for NCB reduction!