Pre sense makes no difference with insurance

woollyjoe

Reaction score
Just a wee rant... My audi comes with pre sense and effectively reduces the possibility of a collision with another vehicle. It actually applies the brakes automatically (after an audible and visual warning) helping avoid the chance of rear ending another car. Great, so it should reduce the chance of rear end someone but insurance companies are so backward, I was told "the computer won't let me" by main name insurance companies. I was told by one that I would have to pay extra for my insurance because it increased the value of the car.

I thought Little Britain was made up "computer says no".

This function is suppose to drop your car insurance group, in turn dropping your premium. I don't think you can actually use it as a bargaining point to drop the premium as such?

Supposed to, but it doesn't. It's not a standard feature and the computers which they use don't have any consideration for advanced safety features.

I stand corrected - after frustration on the obvious comparison sites, I decided to call Sky Insurance as they deal with modified cars. Even though mine isn't modified, I figured they might be able to at least factor in a specific car, and they did!

The fact they knew the safety features of the car was great, and I saved enough to make it worth the move. My original price was very competitive so wasn't expecting a major difference; just nice to know the safety features are recognised, and it effectively helps pay for the options.

Very nice people too - and twice as fast as everyone else going through the process - very easy.

Reactions: jojo
Hi,
Just to let you know that we have a special scheme that caters specifically for vehicles that either has this type of crash mitigation technology fitted as standard or as an optional extra.
Regards,
Dan.

Dan, I'll give you a shout when I hopefully get my second car. Brokers are new to me and like most mainstream customers, I just thought comparison sites would be best!

As an update - customer service with Sky has been much better too, great in fact! - UK based call centre and answered call for enquiry within a minute or two of ringing- Admiral was awful.