young driver on an Audi

dentsy

Love this B7 cab
Reaction score
Website
www.ftd-technics.co.uk
Hi All,
My son will be 17 in May and has always wanted an Audi, he originally was looking at an A3 Tdi but after looking at insurance quotes of over 4K he looked at changing to quote to cover him on an A4 Tdi and it was a little cheaper.

What would be the best way to insure him ? The car would be in his name and he would be the named driver, Would it be beneficial to put myself and my wife on his policy too ? We both have Audi's and over 9 yrs no claims on both cars.

he has been driving on his moped for the last 12 months and has insurance on that so he will have 1 year motorbike NCB

The no claims is in my name as years ago I got a match of the no claims from a previous company under 2 policies so have 2 separate no claims bonus.

Any advice very much appreciated as if we can get it down to around the 2k or below mark it is more realistic for him.

Thanks,

Si

had the same dilemma wanted 4k to put my son on a3tdi 140hp cant see him getting under th 2k quotes unless its a 75 bhp engine :sign_unfair:

Reactions: dentsy
Si,

a little story of my history, im 21 now,

17 had a 1.4 fiesta 12month = 3.5K upfront
18 still had 1.4 fiesta 12month = 2.5K upfront
19 stil had 1.4 fiesta 12month = 2K upfront () in september i bought my A3 2.0TDi and had to pay an additional 2k for the remainder
20 had the A3 2.0TDi 12month = 2.5K upfront
Now iv turned 21 my renewal is due in sept but for 4year motoring has cost me 12.5K in insurance....

Insurance doesnt drop until 25, it would be financially wiser to have him on your policy as a named driver and protect your no claims, even if he crashed twice and effected your no claims im pretty sure it wouldnt cost you anywhere near the amount he would have to save/pay ( or you pay for him? )

Just my little bit,

Let us know how you get on mate (y)

As a learner you might get him added to your own policy but once he's passed his test you should get him on a low powered vehicle with his own policy earning NCB as soon as possible. Insurers will rate on the riskiest driver so it doesn't make sense to add young drivers to parents' policies from a cost point of view.

FYI, the more people you have on the policy the better. In the past I've always added my mum and dad to my policy as named drivers and its made a significant difference (I'm 21 now). I think the insurance company sees it as more named drivers = less time the policy holder will be driving.

In my experience it's not worth getting his own policy to start with, the cost is just too high and the NCB doesn't make enough of a difference to justify it. Taking the insurance out in your name and having him as a named driver should make a big difference to the price. This is how I started out in a A3 2.0TDI, I'm now in a modified S3 with only 1 years NCB for £1150 which I think it pretty reasonable.

NCB is over rated, it's the experience that makes the difference. (Turning 21 helps alot obviously!)

Last edited:
You do have more insurance companies available to you when you have NCB though so NCB earned in the young driver's name is important in getting access to a broader range of prices. We'd rather insure someone with NCB because we know there's more chance they've actually been driving. You could be named on another policy for a year and have never driven the car.

FYI, the more people you have on the policy the better. In the past I've always added my mum and dad to my policy as named drivers and its made a significant difference (I'm 21 now). I think the insurance company sees it as more named drivers = less time the policy holder will be driving.

In my experience it's not worth getting his own policy to start with, the cost is just too high and the NCB doesn't make enough of a difference to justify it. Taking the insurance out in your name and having him as a named driver should make a big difference to the price. This is how I started out in a A3 2.0TDI, I'm now in a modified S3 with only 1 years NCB for £1150 which I think it pretty reasonable.

NCB is over rated, it's the experience that makes the difference. (Turning 21 helps alot obviously!)

Exactly what i was trying to get across lol :thumbsup:

Hope my insurance comes down this time! alot of the time it can also depend on the area which you live.

My sister in law has had the same problem trying to get insurance after passing her test! She's 21 and most quotes were over £2500. She has had to sell the a3 1.9tdi she had for her 21st birthday off the family as the insurance is so high. She got a pug206 which is a piece of junk as it's the only thing she can afford, the insurance costs her twice as much as the car did! I'm not surprised that a lot of youngests don't get insurance with what they get asked to pay.

There isn't a "cheap" way for a young driver to be on an Audi, although to be fair the car doesn't usually make THAT much difference.

He'd be better off getting a Polo or something for a couple of years, 20 and 2 years NCB is a lot more bank account friendly for an Audi than 17 and none.

Try the insurance with your son and two named relatives a few years older, I've found this makes about a 50% difference to my policies since I was 18. They don't actually have to drive the car, although if you can pick relatives who may use the car it's convenient - my sister and brother in law borrow mine for longer journeys sometimes as they have a Polo and a young child, so prefer the safer car, and occasionally borrow it to nip out if my car is blocking the driver etc. You and your wife would be ideal

In a relatively safe postcode area with those two named drivers, I found my insurance started at £2100 at 18yo, and dropped £200 a year until I was 21, then £300 a year until 24, when I've just taken out my policy at £700

Unfortunately, you're going to get bent over without so much as a by your leave and tub of vaseline... young drivers are absolutely taken the **** out of by insurance companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS5 JON
Si,

a little story of my history, im 21 now,

17 had a 1.4 fiesta 12month = 3.5K upfront
18 still had 1.4 fiesta 12month = 2.5K upfront
19 stil had 1.4 fiesta 12month = 2K upfront () in september i bought my A3 2.0TDi and had to pay an additional 2k for the remainder
20 had the A3 2.0TDi 12month = 2.5K upfront
Now iv turned 21 my renewal is due in sept but for 4year motoring has cost me 12.5K in insurance....

Insurance doesnt drop until 25, it would be financially wiser to have him on your policy as a named driver and protect your no claims, even if he crashed twice and effected your no claims im pretty sure it wouldnt cost you anywhere near the amount he would have to save/pay ( or you pay for him? )

Just my little bit,

Let us know how you get on mate (y)
Jesus, that is insanity.
Im now 19, Paid £3k for a 1.2 Clio at 17
Had a 1.4 Seat Ibiza and paid £1.2k at 18
My new A3 that i collect on Tuesday is £590.

Have to be careful with insurance, if a car is registered to him, but your the main policy holder and hes a named driver but he uses the car the most it can be classed as fronting which is now illegal.

Reactions: sliced
Fronting might be illegal but insurance companies charging 2 or 3 times what a car is worth isn't exactly ethical either. I'm 30 with 2 years NCB and still fking paying close to £1000 for insurance...I bought my car for £1050! No points, no accidents, just I lost my NCBs from being out of the country. Moving to a house with a garage hasn't made a difference. Insurance companies are an absolute joke.

Fronting is very illegal, it's classed as insurance fraud. If you thought a quote was high now try getting a quote with a cancelled policy and that on your record.

Youngsters always moan how expensive. their insurance is but if they stopped hitting stuff it would be cheaper. The stats are there and a large proportion of young drivers claim within their first year of driving.

Get something cheap to insure for him to cut his teeth on for avatar or 2 like a Fiat Cinqueciento and look at it again after he has gathered a couple of years NCB on his own policy.

Reactions: lloydie1994
At 17 I wouldnt get a audi as it a power car and more like he will crash it etc so as I start my 1st car at 17 it was 1.0 qoute 650 a yrs so 19 year later am on 2.0 today only 200 a yrs
I have see so many corsa d get wrote off even a vxr

I agree what insurance companies charge is ludicrous some people are lucky and can afford their insurance i would say the same get him in a cheap run around for a year or two build some no claims and then see what an audi would be!

Youngsters always moan how expensive. their insurance is but if they stopped hitting stuff it would be cheaper. The stats are there and a large proportion of young drivers claim within their first year of driving.

"Youngsters"

In one word you just summed up the entire problem.

At no other time do we generalise about an entire segment population (there are near enough 6 million people in the UK aged 17-25) in such a brazen way and pretend it's fair.

Okay, statistics show that more young people have an accident: but to say that I'm more risky just because other people (with nothing more in common with me than my age) crash sometimes is nonsensical.

Admittedly I can see why experience and car power can be linked (not that it usually makes all that much difference, I paid the same for my A3's insurance as my Clio's) - but you don't need 200bhp to be going too fast round a corner. I can even see that "but the premium is 10x the price of the car!" doesn't stick, because it's about what you hit, not repairing your car.

But the statistics I can see are that INEXPERIENCED drivers have more accidents - it's just handy for the insurers that people often learn to drive young. So how about we have a fixed "starting" rate for new drivers, regardless of age, which drops by a fixed amount every year? Then modify it by your car's risk (publicised) and postcode (also publicised)... along with well publicised risk factors based on job etc.

Maybe then I'll believe it's anything other than "if we keep banging on about statistics, we can get away with charging under-25's anything we like".

My car has been in accidents twice. Both times it was a middle aged man driving into my parked, empty car... do I get a discount?

Reactions: RS3dan, All-rod and Jaay
So glad to be hitting the big 25 this year, may even warrant the insurance a bigger engined second car :rockwoot:.

Reactions: lloydie1994
Hi Si,

My insurance history is as follows:

Aged 20: Peugeot 106 1.1 (65BHP) - Tesco - My own policy with father as additional driver - £1,200 (3rd party F&T)
I then went on to do Pass Plus and received a £300 refund from Tesco dropping my premium to £900 (For a car worth £1000!!!!)
Aged 21: Peugeot 106 1.1 - Elephant - My own policy 1 years NCB and father as additional driver £743 (3rd party F&T)
Aged 22: Peugeot 106 1.1 - Elephant - My own policy 2 years NCB and father as additional driver £541 (3rd party F&T)
Aged 23: Peugeot 106 1.1 - Admiral - My own policy 3 years NCB and father as additional driver £390 (3rd party F&T)
Aged 24: Peugeot 106 1.1 - Admiral - My own policy 4 years NCB and father as additional driver £302 (Fully Comp)

I'm hoping to buy myself a 2005 Audi A3 2.0T FSI Quattro in a few weeks (as soon as the 106 sells) and my quotes are around £5-600 fully comp.

My advice is to do the pass plus, it only cost me £60.00 to do the extra lessons and it saved me 5x that much in insurance discounts but this is only applicable on the first year. As others have stated it is not advisable to have your son as an additional driver on a poicy for a car he will be the main driver of as this can be considered as fraud.

It might make sense to get your son a cheaper/not so powerful car at first just to build up his NCB, I know this can be frustrating for a youngster, as you can see I've been waiting some years for my premiums to drop to a more sensible price as I just can't bring my self to pay thousands of pounds for insurance. Not only this but driving a cheap car came in very handy when I had a bump a few months after passing my test as parts were very cheap indeed and as a student cash was tight anyway.

The Elephant and Admiral policies I have taken out over the past few years have been 10 month policies but you are still awarded with a NCB, this helps cut the price down and helps build up NCB's quicker.

Having my father on the policy has saved me hundreds over the years however these days it actually costs me £10 extra.

I hope my post helps you to make a decision that best suits your circumstances.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Sam

Hi All, I really appreciate all the relies and advice I am getting here , problem is my son is adamant that he wants an A3 😒

He is working and can afford the ins repayments but it just seems crazy to me to buy a car for around 2.5 to 3 k
And pay insurance over that .

I will keep trying to educate him😡

i get upset reading these topics. im 23 and pay 1150 on my a3 2.0tdi.

started on a clio 1.2 2.1k, then year after went to 1800

cost an extra 450 midway through to upgrade to the a3. slowly coming down

with last year i had 3 points and an unbsettled claim on there (points go off 1 month after renewal :( and the crash is now settled in my favour.)

so hopefully cheaper insurance for me

The Elephant and Admiral policies I have taken out over the past few years have been 10 month policies but you are still awarded with a NCB, this helps cut the price down and helps build up NCB's quicker.

Problem with those policies is that it's often only other companies within the Admiral group that will accept the 10month accelerator NCB as a year leaving you stuck with an insurance company that are next to completely useless.

Admiral quoted me £120 less than my current provider for this years insurance and I flatly refused and gladdly paid the extra money so I didn't have to deal with them and was comfy that my modified vehicle was covered properly

Si,

Good post.

As ever, when it comes to insurance there's an awful lot of tosh that gets talked about what makes cover cheaper and how scandalous insurers are and how they are all out to rip you off etc. Utter cobblers.

The facts are that drivers in the 17-21 age bracket cost insurance companies millions every year. Insurance companies are businesses just like everyone else and they are in it to make a profit, if possible.

Consider that in 2011 UK insurers on average paid out £4 for every £1 they collected in premiums and its not hard to see why so many insurers packed up and pulled out of the market and why most of those that stayed had to put their premiums up to try and shore up the losses.

Its annoying that those that claim end up causing the premiums of the rest of us to go up, but there comes a point when this has to happen.

There are many different factors to all of this but lets stick to the young drivers topic.

Statistically, young and inexperienced drivers are much more likely to have an accident or a claim than any other age group. When an insurer takes you on they don't know you from a hole in the ground and so they have to ask lots of lifestyle type questions to try and get a feel for what kind of risk you pose to them.

Without previous driving experience there is very little that insurers can go on to try and discount your premium.

You need to start with the car and look for something as low grouped as possible. Audis tend not to be low grouped because they are expensive to mend when compared to other cars and that costs insurers money. Of course, higher performance cars in the hands of an inexperienced driver could also lead to an accident (insurers have countless real life statistics of this happening) so larger engined or higher powered models will also attract higher groupings.

A 17 year old driver who has very little experience attracts the highest premium loadings of the lot and so to try and make the picture look more appealing to an insurer you need to try and make the driver look like they are a lower risk. Insurers won't just take your word for it either and so stuff like "well my dad has a fast car and I've driven it with him" or "I used to do go-karting as a kid so I'm a great driver" or "my Dad only lets me drive the car at night when the roads are quieter" won't wash.

One of the best things you can do is improve their driving experience by looking at doing additional driving qualifications. Pass Plus is widely recognised by insurers and gives drivers experience of motorway driving that isn't covered in the standard driving test. Some insurers will discount the premium by the cost of the Pass Plus tuition and some will even give you a year's NCB up front if you pass.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) test is also very worthwhile.

Many insurers use those 'black box' things now that effectively track the usage and driving styles of the driver, and because these things give the insurers a little bit more peace of mind about how the vehicle will be used there are some that discount their premiums quite well.

Its worth remembering that once a driver is named on an insurance policy the insurer has no control over how often that driver will use the vehicle. Saying they are an occasional user rarely makes any difference to the rating, though with some insurers you can specify the level of mileage a young driver does. The less mileage they do the better and some may allow a discount but in reality insurers can't police this and stop young drivers from going over their quoted annual mileage.

Try and keep the vehicle parked off the main road overnight on private land such as a private driveway or in a garage. Though don't lie about this because if the car is broken into or stolen during the night and its on the roadside when it should be in the garage then you could find yourself having your claim kicked out.

Also the older the car is the larger "Age of Car Discount" it tends to attract with insurers. On a car that is over 10 years old the discount can be as much as 25%, which when you're talking about premiums of £3,000+ can prove to be quite a saving.

There are lots of myths about premiums tumbling when you turn 21 or 25 or 30 or whatever. Most of the time this isn't true. Insurers work on stats and they all have differing age bands from each other. I hear so often about people complaining that their policy hasn't come right down since they turned 21 and then demanding that it should. It just doesn't work like that.

Its safe to say that if you fall into the 17-21 age bracket you are in the highest risk age band. For that reason many insurers will not offer quotes for car insurance for these people because statistically it is odds on that they will be paying out for a claim not long after accepting a new policy.

Once you hit 22, and assuming you are claim and conviction free, you will generally find that more insurers will be willing to quote for you, and with that increased scope you are more likely to find a cheaper quote.

Like others have said, I'd avoid insuring the car in the name of the youngster initially. This is the most expensive way of insuring the car. However, with this said, if you can afford to do this then providing he remains claim free he will start building up NCB and experience and will become a more attractive risk to insurers come renewal.

Who you put on the policy as named drivers is up to you. Saying that the more drivers you have on the policy the better isn't true at all. It all depends on the insurer in question and how they look at named drivers. Statistically policies with the main user and 1 named driver perform better than others and for that reason a lot of insurers give bigger discounts for those policies than they do for "Insured Only" ones. If you add lots of drivers then you run the risk of losing out on "limited driving" discounts and the policy being treated the same as an "Any Driver" policy, which is more expensive.

You also can't transfer NCB into the name of a 17 year old driver. You can't say to insurers that a 17 year old has "X" years driving experience when its obvious that they haven't.

You obviously can't insure the vehicle in a parent's name if they are not the registered owner of the car and you need to be honest to an insurer and tell them who will be the main driver of the car. If there is more than one car in the family then insurers will probably figure this out anyway and rate the quote accordingly.

Motorcycle NCB will not count for anything against a car policy.

NCB can only apply to one vehicle at once and so if it is in use on another car then you can't use it on the new Audi. However, if you have some spare NCB from a previous policy (that hasn't been transferred over to a new policy) that was cancelled within the last 2 years then you could use it on the new Audi. You would need to register the new car in your name (not your son's) and get a quote in your name with your son as the named driver. Insurers would then rate the policy on the young driver but the NCB would bring the premium down to a lower level than what it would be if you insured the car in the youngster's name with NIL NCB.

If your spare NCB is from a policy that was cancelled or expired more than 2 years ago then it is invalid and can't be used.

Also, your spare NCB having being originally allowed as an introductory no-claims discount mirroring your existing NCB is not necessarily classed as "earned" NCB by a new insurer. Some may accept it and grant you the discount but you have to be prepared that others may not.

Of course if you don't have any spare NCB to use then insuring the car in the name of a parent may not be any cheaper.

All in all I think it is extremely unlikely that you will insure a 17 year old on any car for £2,000 or under these days, never mind an Audi. £3,000 tends to be about the starting point and that is for a really cheap, low grouped car.

The cheapest way of doing things would be to not buy a new car at all at this stage and look at adding the youngster as a named driver on one of the parents' policies. Then once he has been a driver for over 12 months claim free (all being well) then you may be able to get some slightly discounted quotes from insurers based on the fact that he has a year's claim free driving record. Some may even allow him an introductory NCB of 1 year which can save you a fortune. Of course, adding him to your policy will be expensive assuming you have a car that insurers would be willing to cover him on so this needs to be factored in.

There's no "cheap" way of insuring young drivers on cars these days and so its just one of those things you have to go about in the most sensible way. People think its wrong for insurers to charge more for the insurance than the car is worth but they don't allow for the fact that anyone could buy a £100 Ford Fiesta, insure it for peanuts and then drive it into a bus queue full of people and cost an insurer £20 million. Its all relative.

Sorry for the long post. Its just not a straight forward question to answer :)

J

Hi All, I really appreciate all the relies and advice I am getting here , problem is my son is adamant that he wants an A3 😒

He is working and can afford the ins repayments but it just seems crazy to me to buy a car for around 2.5 to 3 k
And pay insurance over that .

I will keep trying to educate him😡

try and get him a mk5 golf 1.9 tdi match, they are low on insurance.

Hi All,
My son will be 17 in May and has always wanted an Audi, he originally was looking at an A3 Tdi but after looking at insurance quotes of over 4K he looked at changing to quote to cover him on an A4 Tdi and it was a little cheaper.

What would be the best way to insure him ? The car would be in his name and he would be the named driver, Would it be beneficial to put myself and my wife on his policy too ? We both have Audi's and over 9 yrs no claims on both cars.

he has been driving on his moped for the last 12 months and has insurance on that so he will have 1 year motorbike NCB

The no claims is in my name as years ago I got a match of the no claims from a previous company under 2 policies so have 2 separate no claims bonus.

Any advice very much appreciated as if we can get it down to around the 2k or below mark it is more realistic for him.

Thanks,

Si

To be honest, Insurance will always be a killer. My first insurance for a 1.4 Focus was 2.8K at 18. I got my own policy but had both of my parents and my older brother (who was 24) as named drivers, that cut off about 1K.

Hope it helps.

i get upset reading these topics. im 23 and pay 1150 on my a3 2.0tdi.

started on a clio 1.2 2.1k, then year after went to 1800

cost an extra 450 midway through to upgrade to the a3. slowly coming down

with last year i had 3 points and an unbsettled claim on there (points go off 1 month after renewal :( and the crash is now settled in my favour.)

so hopefully cheaper insurance for me

Could you not take out an insurance policy, wait a month until the points are off, cancel and get your money back minus £25 admin fee and then take out a new policy? I've never seen any rules against doing that.

Have not thought about that though, but in a multicar policy so not sure how it would work

If the points are for speeding they'll make next to no difference to the premium. My ban in 2012 for speeding didn't even part phase insurance. companies

Ts10 or TS50 most likely. Those and mobile phone CU80 offences will cause a hike. an IN10 insurance offence can render you un insurable.

I totally understand what you are facing with insurance, it's partly why I didn't even drive for about a year after passing my test. But providing you pick the right company to go with, and the right car, it isn't always doom and gloom…

I am 19, and I pay about £850 a year for a 2004 A4 1.9TDI, which might seem expensive to some, but actually isn't all bad in my opinion as it's fully comp.
What people have said is right though, adding more people is good news. Added my folks onto the policy (with me as the main driver obviously) and it dropped drastically.

Hope he get's the Audi he wants!!

I totally understand what you are facing with insurance, it's partly why I didn't even drive for about a year after passing my test. But providing you pick the right company to go with, and the right car, it isn't always doom and gloom…

I am 19, and I pay about £850 a year for a 2004 A4 1.9TDI, which might seem expensive to some, but actually isn't all bad in my opinion as it's fully comp.
What people have said is right though, adding more people is good news. Added my folks onto the policy (with me as the main driver obviously) and it dropped drastically.

Hope he get's the Audi he wants!!

Thanks for the reply,

Is this your first xar ?

That's a cheap price 😃

Simon

Postcode makes far more of a difference than people expect, btw: at 22, my insurance cost £1000, then doubled when I moved postcode area...

Insurance is ridiculous nowadays, at 17 I was paying £1800 for a 1.0 corsa c with a box tracking where I went and what speed I was doing :scared2:

Thanks for the reply,

Is this your first xar ?

That's a cheap price 😃

Simon

Not my first, been through a Volvo V40 and and A3 before this one, but hopefully this one's a keeper :)

It's not bad at all, took me a while to get the price just right!

Mu first insurance was £2196 on a £4k 1.2 Clio with 70bhp... that was daylight robbery, and taking into account inflation would be roughly £2620 today.

Wow I feel lucky with my insurance history now.
1k at 17 with a mk2 punto for 2 years dropped a little both years
£800 with a corsa 1.2 LE for 2 years same again dropped each year.
£900 2011 audi s3 at 22
All policy holder, with a pretty bad postcode for insurance (ls26)

I personally I think no matter what age people are when they pass they should be restricted in a cars power for the first year or two. It was like this for me when I passed my motorbike test . I think a lot of 'young' drivers get a lot of blame for high insurance prices but really the ****** and uninsured don't help do they. Some countries restrict you drivers to certain times only, maybe the uk should try that cause I think it's created it's own downward spiral. Charge drivers high insurance so a vast majority don't get insurance, it's created a vicious cycle which seems to get worse year on year in the uk.

With most mainstream insurance companies these days it's just a flowchart system on their website, once you work out the cheapest options (that do apply to you) then it can come down quite a lot.

My insurance history is:
Age - Car - Engine Size - Position on policy and policy type - Price paid
17 - Toyota Aygo - 1.0 - named driver FC - £700
18 - Toyota Aygo - 1.0 - policy holder with 2 crashes (of which 1 I was seen at fault) FC - £1400
19 - Toyota Aygo - 1.0 - policy holder FC - £900
20 - Ford Focus - 2.0 - policy holder FC - £1400
21 - Ford Focus ST - 2.5 turbo - policy holder FC - £670
22 - Ford Focus ST - 2.5 turbo - policy holder FC - £518

New car in 2-3 weeks (depending on how long shipping takes)
22 - Audi S3 saloon 2.0 turbo - policy holder - £518

Best ways to lower insurance premiums that I've found:

2 named drivers over 25 with no crashes or convictions - That doesn't mean that the individual needs to be a family member or even live in the same house as you. I have my mum and my uncle on mine (dad wrote off the family car 2 years ago).

Access to another vehicle - Insurance companies won't know whether you have access to another vehicle, you might use one for work. Personally, I drive MoD vehicles as part of my voluntary work.

Car kept overnight on street outside hope - Parking on the drive is more expensive because if thieves break into your home and take your car keys they immediately know which car is yours as it's on the drive. I now park my car outside on the road.

Pass plus or IAM - If you have done pass plus or advanced motoring then add that on under your license.

Amend your voluntary excess - my voluntary excess is set to £500 with compulsory of £200 (might be £250 can't remember). It's not every day you crash your car so if you can afford it (which with an Audi one might assume you could being a premium brand and all) then perhaps consider raising your voluntary excess.

Choose a good insurance company for young drivers - I've found that the best insurance companies for young people are Elephant and Admiral. I know they're the same company, but they have different prices. Elephant are better for paying the whole year at once. Admiral are better at paying monthly. Also Elephant and Admiral don't want 5 years history for crashes, only 3; very useful when you're 20/21 and crashed when you were 17.

Use the price comparison websites - Once you have your price from the insurance company put the exact same details into the price comparison websites. Everyone will get different prices, however having spent about what must be at 20-30 hours looking at insurance prices in my spare time in the past few months I've found that compare the market is the best comparison website.

Negotiate on the phone - Once you have your new quote from your online price comparison website call the insurance company up with the reference number. They will match your current quote to the one you did online. Once they've done that ask what else they can do. Be polite and cheerful, not to the point where you're clearly brown nosing or almost asking them on a date, but it's a lot easier for someone in a customer service role to help a polite and happy person than a dull/unenthusiastic/boring/potentially rude person.
I'm changing my car from a Ford Focus ST to an Audi S3 in the next few weeks and after talking to the lady on the phone for about 20 minutes she said that she could match the price, which was about £150 difference in favour of the Ford.

Get a quote a few months before your policy renews- This one saved me £550 at my last renewal. When insurance companies send your renewal through they'll do their best to get as much money from you as they can. Last year my insurance was £670, the renewal came through at £1100, which is obviously wrong. Get a quote way before your renewal comes through. Insurance prices fluctuate a lot. Even though there are reports of insurance premiums coming down that doesn't mean that yours necessarily will. If you have about a month/2 months before you renew your policy and the quote is cheaper than the renewal quote and the quote at the time of renewal then most insurance companies will honour the quote which was done a month/2 months before.

Let me know if this was useful for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c. and CHEZ