A5 Quarter panel damage and insurance claim

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My a5 is not even 4 months old yet and a dear person has reversed into the side of me. The only good news is she had the decency to knock on the door and let me know what she had done otherwise I'd have been suicidal if I'd have just found it.

20131026_162818_zps837934fe.jpg

Now then, I phone my insurance company and they said they would arrange collection and take car to their approved dealer and then claim on the third party insurance. I asked who their approved repairer was and it was a ford garage. I said I wanted it to go to an Audi approved garage so I was told that I would have to get quotes beforehand and then get their approval beforehand to repair. Oh, and my excess would be another £200 making it £450.

I said I would leave it as a notification for now.

Phoned the Audi dealer where I bought the car and they put me through to the accident help department and they have advised no problem, as it wasn't my fault they would arrange for the repair at an Audi approved garage and I would get a like for like replacement hire car. All good I thought.

Then I get a phone call this morning from the third parties insurance company admitting liability and asking for them to arrange collection of my car for repair. At this time I tell them it has been sorted. The girl then changed her tune and said that they would not pay for hire car charges nor for excessive repair charges and I should know that I will have to sign a rental agreement for the courtesy car and that I would be responsible for them as they would contest and deny payment, so likely I could face a big bill.

I have been assured by my call handler they are trying it on and wanting the business themselves. Nonetheless it is worrying, I am being given an identical car as mine (A5 2.0 TDi Black edition multitronic).

Anyone else had a situation like this regarding a none fault claim. (I don't want to name names etc that may prejudice anything at this stage!)

Cheers guys

Neil

Yes. Mine was hit and their insurance company wanted to send it to a local garage I insisted on an Audi approved repairer, City Centre Car Care in Digbeth Birmingham. I contacted them and they arranged everything but I did end up with one of their courtesy cars.
I found out they they are one of Avivas approved repairers, so I opted to get my car insured with Aviva in case it happened again. Which it did, and within 10 minutes of calling Aviva they had got the car booked in and arranged a courtesy car and had contacted the third party insurers.
I have since been informed that if someone hits your car, its your car and you can get it repaired where you want.

Maybe one of our insurance sponsors could confirm that?

Two things here, if you get hit and the other party admits liability, then your own insurance company doesn't need to get involved! I have no ideas regarding the rules and laws, but I've always used an accident management service, which is free, and they do all the donkey work for you. Obviously, they are keen for you to make an injury claim, but I've always refused for the twice I've used them, both low speed bumps.

Secondly, definitely avoid using the Ford garage for repair work. My sister got back ended in her Mint mk4 GTI many years ago, and the approved repairer was a Ford workshop, she picked the car up and said it was fine, I had a look, OMG, rear light was not aligned, which meant bad jigging, paintwork did not match rest of the car, and overspray everywhere, it was a poor job. My brother in law put in a complaint, and it was taken back to the same workshop for an inspection with the insurance assessor there. Upon his arrival, he was greeted by the insurance guy, and one of the workshop guys asked my brother in law to line the car up on the ramp, he got out the car and said 'you must be joking, that's your job, not mine!', the workshop guy got pee'd off and rushed the car onto the ramp, destroying the near side side skirt on one of the ramp posts in front of the insurance assessor! Lol. A few weeks later, the insurance company dropped off a brand spanking new GTI to my sister!

I'm happy with everything so far, been up to the garage today to have a look, its Audi approved, the workshop was full of Jags (F type in there!), Audi's and Mercs so they deal with high end cars. The manager took me around the workshop and gave me complete confidence in me taking my car there. The claims handlers have booked it in and I take it tomorrow and meet their guy who will provide me with the loan car.

What's slightly concerning is that the third party insurance told me on the phone they won't pay for care hire. I just don't want to get landed with a bill at the end of this