Insurance Shock

afcbjoshd

Reaction score
Was bored the other day at work so went searching for RS4s b5s to dream of and look at. Ended up, out of sheer boredom, doing an insurance quote on one. 21Yrs old, 0 no claims as been on company car for 3 years. so essentially have 3yrs no claims but have to put it in the 'what other driving experience do you have?' section. Anyway I was shocked when elephant.co.uk quoted me £833.00 for a years insurance!! I then did my car, an 02/52 8L S3 and it was £895.00! with the mods declared which I have done on my existing policy it's £937.00. Just for the record, £833 on an rs4 at 21 is cheap bearing in mind most other quotes were like 4 grand. !

LOL! I did the same thing the other day... I am the same age as yourself... my car with mods they are after £830 (21, 4ncb). Noble M12. £805. BMW M5 £1700!! Makes no sence.

How's that work? I'm 23, 0NCB and I'm paying £1400 on an A4 2.0 Turbo! Must be Birmingham.

Ok beat this. 29 years old, 5 years no claim, 12 years driving licence and £1500 for A4 2.0TDI 170 Quattro which is exactly the same as was on my touareg. I've managed to get under a grand only with 2.0tdci mondeo.

:uhm: just had a look and cheapest for me on a S3 is £6k!! :puke:

LOL! I did the same thing the other day... I am the same age as yourself... my car with mods they are after £830 (21, 4ncb). Noble M12. £805. BMW M5 £1700!! Makes no sence.

a noble m12 for 805 - bargain. all you have to do now is afford the car itself!

Ok beat this. 29 years old, 5 years no claim, 12 years driving licence and £1500 for A4 2.0TDI 170 Quattro which is exactly the same as was on my touareg. I've managed to get under a grand only with 2.0tdci mondeo.

that's insane mate, where abouts are you based then?

:uhm: just had a look and cheapest for me on a S3 is £6k!! :puke:

oh dear... where are you looking? those comparison websites?

Postcode makes a hell of a difference.

At home I look at about £1,300, at my parents £1,800, and if I put in a Salford postcode most don't even want to know for less than £8,000

28 with 10 years NCB and i don't see anything less then £800.

I did the rs4 and s8 out of curiosity came back at around £400 for 39 with full ncb and 22 years driving

I live in a fairly safe postcode, and my new S3 insurance was £385 a year in 2007 with 4 years NCB/ 0 points.

I've not moved, and the new 2011 car is in exactly the same state in year 1 with no mods, 8 years NCB / 0 points is £515 (nearly 40)

If thieving gypsy pikey uninsured drivers or those crash for compensation **** heads got off the roads no doubt parity would be restored, but the insurance industry has a lot to answer for in terms of making its own issues. Overhyped premiums in early years and rampant compensation culture won't fix the issues. Answer as ALWAYS, those who CAN pay WILL pay, those who can't get off scott free.

Reactions: afcbjoshd
Its all statistics.

A friend ran a pile of quotes recently and it threw up some interesting things.

Hes paying a grand for an old '95 corsa 1.2, due to a ban. Quoted on a Citreon C2 VTR, which while not fast is a damn sight quicker not to mention many times more expensive than his corsa, and they quoted 800quid. An A4 1.9 TDI Quattro was 3 grand, but a volvo T5 of some description was 1500. Even more bonkers, a mk2 clio 1.2 was 300quid CHEAPER to insure if he baught a 2005 car, rather than a 2000, and both were cheaper than his corsa to insure!

The quotes are based on likelyhood of someone driving that car having a crash or the car being stolen or whatever. Presumably the reason the B5 RS4 is cheap is they simply didnt make many of them, and they dont get driven as everyday cars any more, so claims are low.

Try adding a female between 30 & 60 years old with no points or claims as named friver. You may find the premium is reduced. It was for me £50 off for someone that may drive it once a year. :salute:

Im 21, ive been driving for 7 months and got insured for £1600 on a 2001 3dr a3 1.8t... where as if i went for the same age astra 1.8t then it was well over £2k? sorry... but who'd want a vauxhall over an Audi!?

Area's make the BIGGEST difference. When people call in to change their address at work i cringe because premiums tend to go up! On my S3 its £1545. Thats 21yrs old 0yrs NCD (or a starter discount as some apply) with 1 accident. With that at my brother in laws address it goes down by £300. cheaper to move house!