New Insurance Laws

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
Oh the joy...

The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

The change in the law means, you will only be able to take your vehicle off the road and cancel your insurance by returning your tax disc to DVLA.
It must be returned on a V14 (application form for a refund of a tax disc) and SORN declared at the same time.

Apparently, each uninsured driver adds £30 to each insured drivers policy. Are we (as law abiding drivers)going to see that cash? VERY unlikely.

Link to info: Stay insured: new penalties for vehicles without motor insurance : Directgov - Motoring

When does this come in then? I have a taxed car with no insurance sitting in my garage atm, maybe I should do something about it?

Yes...drive it

When does this come in then? I have a taxed car with no insurance sitting in my garage atm, maybe I should do something about it?

Comes into force at the end of this month (June 2011). You will receive a letter from the Motor Insurance Bureau telling you what to do to avoid getting a penalty. Cheapest thing to do is send the tax disc back for a refund of unused full months and fill out a SORN.

Then you can start again when you're ready, but make sure your insurance company agree to continuous No Claims Discount (i.e. without breaks) otherwise you might be in for a shock !!!

it actually came in 4 days ago, it's why i was keen to sell my astra so soon

Comes into force at the end of this month (June 2011). You will receive a letter from the Motor Insurance Bureau telling you what to do to avoid getting a penalty. Cheapest thing to do is send the tax disc back for a refund of unused full months and fill out a SORN.

Then you can start again when you're ready, but make sure your insurance company agree to continuous No Claims Discount (i.e. without breaks) otherwise you might be in for a shock !!!

Thanks, I won't lose any NCB, because I switched cars on the insurance policy, it was only suppose to be temporary, but it's been almost 12 months! lol