Insurance, Am i covered?

Yes works for admiral not NFU.... 2 very different insurance companies with different terms and conditions...

Yes i know what 3rd party means :) i wont be driving anyones Ferrari anytime soon

Yes works for admiral not NFU.... 2 very different insurance companies with different terms and conditions...

I wasn't talking to you.
But in the bit where I was I said that I had spoken to NFU and they said..................

the other car needs to be taxed, mot'd AND insured before she will be covered third party on it.

These circles are making me dizzy.

Right you've spoke to NFU about my policy have you? Or you have rang up about a totally different policy in which the terms and conditions could have been updated???

Right you've spoke to NFU about my policy have you? Or you have rang up about a totally different policy in which the terms and conditions could have been updated???

Yes to everything. And no aswell. Also a bit of maybe.

I just feel sorry for the person you crash in to.

Haha seems that would be the only way you would believe im covered. No kneecaps haha

Last edited:
Well i rang my insurance and turns out your all wrong. I am covered to drive any car whether its insured or not as long as it doesnt belong to me and i have the owners permission. Makes sense really if you use your brain. Why would the car need insurance when my policy would be covering it anyway. It would be totally pointless.

It was actually on road wars once, same thing happened. The guy driving had cover of 3rd party but the actual car wasn't insured. Car was towed away he was fined. I'd get it in writing as I'm certain it's illegal. Also, what if the car was to be nicked when your out? Your 3rd party won't cover that so there has to be an actual policy for the car??

Either way IMHO the OP's friend is a fool contemplating risking someone else driving his car with only 3rd party insurance.

Where's A3Tom when you need him???????

Car with no insurance = police tow it away ?? Yes, no, maybe.

I can see it now..... After the crash the geezer gets pulled out of the car by police and says.....

"It's ok mate... its not my car and it's not insured, but NFU says I'm third party on any car. Your bridge WILL get fixed!"

:angrymod:

Last edited by a moderator:
But NFU say it is legal, and they are above the law. And so is adam's policy with Admiral.

If i was that guy i'd get it in writing just for peace of mind.
Adam policy with us (Admiral) will not cover him to drive any vehicle on DOC inless its already insured, mot and taxed :)

Have just check this with my Girlfriends father, a Traffic Cop and yes, it is illegal.

Wow, didn't realise this... so if I buy a mk2 Golf in my wife's name, I don't have to insure it at all, just check I'm covered for any car, not belonging to me, wow, seems a bit iffy, but hey, will save getting another policy for £200.

Wow, didn't realise this... so if I buy a mk2 Golf in my wife's name, I don't have to insure it at all, just check I'm covered for any car, not belonging to me, wow, seems a bit iffy, but hey, will save getting another policy for £200.
You talk about saving 200 pounds?? I'm saving £3000 using this loophole!!
So this is how im covered.
Insured back home in a 06 1.9tdi golf FULLY COMP for €2100 which is good for someone who just turned 20 two weeks ago. This allows me to use a condition called THIRD PARTY EXTENSION whereby i can drive any car as long as its NOT in my name, Is MOT'd and TAXED and i have the owners permission. The car DOES NOT need to be insured. The car over here is in my brothers name. I have been pulled three times. shown them the cert where it states this and there isnt a problem. I dont know about everyone elses insurance companies and dont bother even going on about "oh but its only 3rd party" thats enough for me as the difference in insurance is nearly the price of the car.

Hold on, am I missing something here???
Didn't jb0o say that he checked it with his girlfriend's dad who is a traffic cop and he said it is ILLEGAL???

Its fraud to pretend that a car isnt yours when it is. And its supposed to be only to be for temporary use but they cant prove either. I'm not condoning anyone to bend the rules but come on people..£3,000!

You talk about saving 200 pounds?? I'm saving £3000 using this loophole!!
So this is how im covered.
Insured back home in a 06 1.9tdi golf FULLY COMP for €2100 which is good for someone who just turned 20 two weeks ago.

Lol mate that a sh*t quote fair play. I'm 20 i checked to get insured on an 2007 a3 2.0tdi (170) auto without discount from work and 0ncb £1,200 ohh and i have 3 points.

Simple really if you cant get insured on a car or cant afford how much the insurance is wait.
I've wanted an 8P S3 since i was 17 years old. i'm 20 now and hopefully will be getting in start of next year. I got a corsa 1.0 when i first passed kept that for 6months and then got my current car 1.6 may not be the fastest but looks the part. The risk your taking is not worth consequence.

Yes Aythree, jb0o did say that he checked it with his girlfriend's dad who is a traffic cop and he said it is ILLEGAL.

Last edited:
1200?! thats unreal! what company was that with? i used that gocompare.com yoke and the cheapest i could get was 4800! i have a years no claims and 3 years named driver experience. there's no risk when its not illegal? oh apart from the risk that if you crash your own car wont get fixed.

1200?! thats unreal! what company was that with? i used that gocompare.com yoke and the cheapest i could get was 4800! i have a years no claims and 3 years named driver experience. there's no risk when its not illegal? oh apart from the risk that if you crash your own car wont get fixed.

Admiral mate..Dont use websites like gocompare.comor or moneysupermarket most will cost more than it would if you went directly to the company site and got a quote. Well you should get a better quote than me, get a quote and put two named drivers on will get the price done. May be worth bending the truth a bit and putting your miles down by 1k or 3k.

Oh Feck, sorry, just came back to this and have to apologise, had a few beers and looking on the little netbook, the extra small text, without glasses, looked like LEGAL, illegal legal illegal.... see what I mean, so sorry, would never do that and always get insurance as and when required.

This Thread is making me ****** dizzy....

The title of "Insurance, Am I covered ?" Seems to invite friendly personal opinions as to wheter or not it is legal to drive a car with no insurance on it.....

Which i must say the general consensus seems to be ... "No i think that's illegal"

Then steslatt from accrington (Accrington Stanley, Who are they...... Exactly)
proceeds to say Ha Ha Ha to everyone who gives there view and says they are wrong.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think aythree is doing pretty ****** good at keeping his cool... :tapedshut: Well Done m8 :icon_thumright:

Just let him get on with it as he seem to know best :tocktock:

I just want an update once he bumps into :angrymod: and his mate :busted_cop:

This thread is also on the other hand ****** good fun to read i will give the creator that :icon_thumright:
I laughed out loud a couple of times. Top Quality.

Heres an interesting thread, discussing exactly the same thing.

Am I covered by my own insurance to drive a vehicle that is not insured...? in The AnswerBank: Motoring

It would appear you can drive another vehicle if it not insured in its own right (but must be taxed and MOT'D) and must NOT belong to you or be registered at your address!

Most insurers only cover third party but if the insurer can give you this in writing then i dont see the problem as then you have covered your own back!

Although personally i am still unsure about this whole thing, it would seem no one has a a clear answer.

Last edited: