Digital Camera.

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Right guys, I'm about to buy a Digital Camera for the other half for her birthday. Anyone got any experience with Panasonic Lumix TZ7 and TZ8?

I was about to order the TZ8 model, but doing a bit of research and reading reviews, a lot of people still recommend the older TZ7 model over the newer TZ8, they are about the same price.

Don't know which one to buy now...

I have the TZ65 and it is rather good Joe :icon_thumright:

I have the TZ7 mate, its a brilliant camera, really good quality, i believe they have just released a TZ10 though, which has some sort of GPS system in it or something, however, I hear the TZ7 is still better, you are welcome to come over and have a look/play with it if you like.

Reading the reviews mate, the TZ10 is the top of the range of the current series, and the TZ7 is top of the range of the older series. TZ10 GPS system kills battery life though, and hasn't had good reviews, so most probably going for the TZ8 just because it;s 12megapixel over the TZ7's 10megapixel.

Im still using my Panasonic FX7 which I got in 2004... :)

FM, how good do the HD vids look on yours, I have tried them on mine and to be honest, was not overly impressed....maybe I am doing something wrong??

did you use the software to download them ??? otherwise I think they go into sd. I used the supplied software to make a dvd from multiple clips.

The vids were in the sun the other weekend but i was impressed

aaaaahhh, no all I have been doing is taking the SDHC card out of the camera and plugging it into the PS3 and playing it through there, is that not right???

Soz for jacking your thread Jo :)

don`t know but i was just dragging off the sd card but then the software wouldn`t recognise the video to edit it. I then read the only way the software worked was if it was a hd source and that only the software can extract it correctly.

have you got the camera on the best settings on everything ??? can`t remember if the hd video can be altered or not. I just set everything to best setting when I got it.

A guy at work got the same camera after seeing a vid I did at a football match, he used a cable from the camera direct to tv and says hes blown away with the quality.

Oh i might try the cable then, yea got all the settings right, AVCHD Lite i think the HD video setting is set to.

Will do some more looking into when i get a chance, thanks for your help mate :)

I'm in the market for a new camera, can anyone comment on how good the TZ7 performs in dark conditions eg. night or indoor shots?

When I was looking for a new camera in December I had a look at the Panasonic T27/T28. At the time there was a lot of chat about the screen easily being broken due to a design fault. Otherwise it did get cracking reviews.

In the end, as I was taking the camera ski-ing, I went a different direction and got a Cannon Powershot sx100is. Got to say, I'm totally impressed by it. Love the shots it takes.

Well I've been going around the houses of the idea of getting a DSLR like the EOS 450D after I realised the limitations of my compact. I borrowed a mate's Powershot G9 and it was the nuts by comparison.

Must admit though given the size and cost of a DSLR I'm swaying back toward a high end compact for the convenience factor over anything else.

mixed results in low light conditions, have a read on avforums there is loads of info and settings advice for shooting in low light conditions.

I got mine for HD vid and the zoom, went to chester zoo and got some cracking shots you can take a pic of what u see rather than a dot in the distance.

Took some of some fish in tanks and they came out ok in low light levels

I'm a Canon man myself, last 3 camera's have been Canon IXUS series, and I can see the evolution of picture quality(high res) with each camera. The missus wanted movie capability, and the Panasonic has got good reviews, so I went with it. I doubt she'll be doing any artistic photography, so the compact camera should be more than enough.

I've just been to have a go with a few models on my lunch. I tried the Canon SX210, Lumix TZ9 (they had no stock of 8's) and a Canon EOS1000D.

My favourite and most costly was of course the 1000D - the 450D's out of my price range right now. Out of the two compact's I have to say the Canon SX210 felt a lot better to use and a lot quicker (in terms of responsiveness when shooting). Also felt a bit better made.

Decisions, decisions.... ordering online's out as I'm on holiday from Monday otherwise I'll be stuck with my old Cybershot T3, which, for the record, is decent quality in the light but crap in the dark.

I wanted an SLR, but went away from it, as they are just too bulky, wanted it for getting pics of the newborn and to carry a chunky camera along with 10 million baby things, was a big no no, hence the TZ7, however future wise, I will defo be getting an SLR, the pic quality between a top end digi compact and SLR are just not comparable, 2 totally different things!!

The zoom on the TZ7 and HD Vid quality is very good, have a look on youtube for TZ7 zoom and HD and you will see the quality there, you will be impressed :)